Trans Labrador Highway

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

long rider

Reaction score
I am going to ride the TLH next July, I grew up riding in the west on dirt, everything from desert to moutain trails. Only concern with FJR is the limited suspension, ground clearance and type of tires I need. I hope this is the proper area to ask this question. Any input would be welcomed.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks, I saw their posts, however I am looking for a more recent report as I would think the rodes should be in better condition. Main concern slick mud, as in snot roads going to prudo bay alsaka.

There is some stuff at Ride The Rock - one subforum in particular:

https://ridetherock.net/index.php?forums/newfoundland-labrador-travel-information.7/

Other than that, ADVRider is probably the best bet. The guys on Ride the Rock are always happy to help out with all sorts of information...

The most recent ride done by Canadian FJR and fjrob1300 is only three years ago. I understand that other areas have been paved since then and other sections may have deteriorated.

The great Labrador adventure is loosing more of the adventure every year. It is now just pretty much a ride in a remote area.

The remaining dirt is still a mix of loose gravel, sand, dust. It all depends on the weather and how recently it was graded.

With all of the construction crews, your biggest challenge is finding a motel.

If I were to do it again (on the FJR) I would likely run the TKC-70s

The 80s rock but the road conditions have improved since our last trip there.

Cartwright is still what I consider the true Labrador. Feel free to pm if you have any questions.

Canadian FJR

I appreciate this information, after reading Canadian FJR post, a couple of others and the video, I don't see a problem doing it on the FJR. Plenty of time to dream until next spring. Once again Thanks.

A good route for you would be to cross the border into New Brunswick at Houlton/Woodstock, do a run around the Gaspe Peninsula, ferry from Matane to Baie-Comeau, up to Manac-Cinq, Trans-Labrador Highway to Blanc-Sablon, ferry to Newfoundland and then home after doing some very much worthwhile riding in Newfoundland. I have lots of recommendations on Newfoundland, if you are interested. The following is what I am suggesting (minus the extra Newfoundland stuff). I have included the Cabot Trail in Nova Scotia as well as the "Sunrise Trail". There are a lot of options for side trips as well.

Enjoy the planning...

https://goo.gl/maps/24NHGk2LCJR2

I thought this was a post for a highway named after a cross-dressing, duck fetching dog...man was I surprised. Not disappointed, just surprised.