Cruise Control Flashing

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HTW1300

Reaction score
This has not occurred before but this weekend on a 700km ride my 2013 FJR had a problem with the cruise control. Sometimes it worked no problem. It seems as if I left it on when shutting off the bike that when I restarted the bike the CC would flash and would not be able to engage. If I turner off the bike and restarted it worked.

Any suggestions?

This has not occurred before but this weekend on a 700km ride my 2013 FJR had a problem with the cruise control. Sometimes it worked no problem. It seems as if I left it on when shutting off the bike that when I restarted the bike the CC would flash and would not be able to engage. If I turner off the bike and restarted it worked.
Any suggestions?
Can you clarify, was it the indicator amber symbol or the green SET light that flashed? Would the flashing continue indefinitely, or stop after a few seconds?

I presume no error codes have been set?

Your finding that turning the bike off with the CC enabled meant that it wouldn't work when next starting is very curious. Could that be simply that after the bike was shut down for a while the problem would occur anyway? Have you disabled the CC before shutting the bike down, then left it overnight before restarting, or only checked by cycling the ignition after starting?

Not sure where this might lead, however, my guess would be dirty or sticky cruise control switch(es).

Thanks for all of the advice.

It was the amber light with no error codes.

If I shut off the CC before turning off the bike there were no issues.

Weird, since the bike forgets all CC settings when the ignition is cycled, even if it was enabled.

The control is purely electronic, there is no cruise control specific hardware other than the select and the set and resume switches.

It might be worth seeing if there are any stored error codes, I believe 90 and 91 refer to a problem detected with the CC.

Weird, since the bike forgets all CC settings when the ignition is cycled, even if it was enabled.
The control is purely electronic, there is no cruise control specific hardware other than the select and the set and resume switches.

It might be worth seeing if there are any stored error codes, I believe 90 and 91 refer to a problem detected with the CC.
There are also contacts in the clutch, front and rear brake switches. When mine acted up some time back the fix was contact cleaner sprayed into the front brake switch. There are troubleshooting procedures in the maintenance manual that helped.

...There are also contacts in the clutch, front and rear brake switches. When mine acted up some time back the fix was contact cleaner sprayed into the front brake switch. There are troubleshooting procedures in the maintenance manual that helped.
Whilst a problem with these would mean you couldn't set the CC, it wouldn't cause the CC indicator to flash.

Just went on a long ride and no issues this time even though I did not make any changes. Still will check out on the advice given above.

...There are also contacts in the clutch, front and rear brake switches. When mine acted up some time back the fix was contact cleaner sprayed into the front brake switch. There are troubleshooting procedures in the maintenance manual that helped.
Whilst a problem with these would mean you couldn't set the CC, it wouldn't cause the CC indicator to flash.
I don't have cruise to check this, but if a stuck brake switch was detected when turned on, wouldn't that disable the cruise for safety? Easily tested by holding a pedal or lever while turning on ignition..

...I don't have cruise to check this, but if a stuck brake switch was detected when turned on, wouldn't that disable the cruise for safety? Easily tested by holding a pedal or lever while turning on ignition..
I don't know about the 'A', but at least on my 2014 'AS', I have to hold the brake on in order to start the engine. Never gives any problem with the CC, makes no difference whether the brake is applied before or after the ignition is turned on. I guess most people would hold the brake on anyway when starting.
Those contacts are specific to cancel the CC, a single wire runs from the CC fused 12V to an isolated front brake switch, an isolated rear brake switch, the throttle tube switch and to the ECU. If that line was open circuit (e.g. from a bad contact), all it would mean is that the CC couldn't be set (which in any case it can't be below 31mph) - though it can still be enabled even before the engine is started.

[edit] I have just checked that simply holding the throttle to operate the CC cancel switch doesn't cause a problem. Since the ECU can independently check that the brake switches are operated, but can't check the throttle switch, that simulates a bad contact as opposed to an operated brake switch. Makes no difference.

Last edited by a moderator:
Had mine start flashing on a ride last Sun. Dropped it off at a dealer on Tue they called me Thu and indicated it was a sticking front brake switch and it's being covered under my YES.

Had same issue on a 500-mile trip (of course it was a long slab session). Problem was a gunky front brake switch. Cleaned it at the next gas stop, all good.