The 2017 Buckeye Moto Guzzi Rally

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MojoGuzzi

Reaction score
Every Labor Day for the past several years, I've headed up to the Friendly Hills Grange Camp north of Zanesville, OH, for the Ohio Moto Guzzi rally. I used to go there on Guzzis...now, I just go there.

Great people, great times, great roads. My brother rode up separately, since he had a business meeting Thursday morning in Cincinnati. I had work on Thursday, too, and couldn't leave before 3pm. So I slabbed it to Zion Crossroads, met my pal Bob (on a 2016 RT), and we slabbed it to Beckley, WV, for the night.

Friday morning arose wet with the beginning of Harvey's remnants. Rather than risking riding in dicey weather on challenging roads, we opted for interstate all the way. Not so much fun, but, hey, we're riding!

Had a great time seeing my brother and all my old pals, making new ones, and generally hijinxing.

Sunday my brother and I rode back roads to Parkersburg, WV, where we had a happenstance fancy breakfast. We also happened to meet Motorcycle Consumer News columnist Harry Deitzler, who was lunching there with his family and came up to us dirty bikers and had a chat.

A few twists and turns down 14 to eventually hook up with 16 and ride that glorious road to the outskirts of Beckley made for a brilliant day. Jumping on 77 we slabbed it to a great Holiday Inn Express just southeast of Wytheville.

the next day he headed south to home and I headed northeast, picking up US 58 all the way to Martinsville, then SR 57 to SR 40 to Brookneal. I wanted to lunch at the fabulous Drug Store Grill...but, alas, Labor Day 'n' such. So a fastfood burger at a Tastee Freeze, then 40 east through Keysville to US 360 and on into the barn.

Pictures are here:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/mojohand/albums/72157688120718926

Route there:

Route home:

36220623514_5c9eb0de7f_c.jpg

Fortunately, I've ridden here annually probably for the last 10-12 years at some point in the year. Love it!