Went down this p.m. on my way home from work

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bajaleo

Reaction score
First time, and totally my fault.

I was on the freeway in San Clemente and I was making my way over to the right lane to exit on Camino de Estrella. Traffic was slowing. I was in the 3rd lane from the exit lane, and I looked over my right shoulder to see if the lane was clear and when I turned forward again, the car ahead has stopped. I had time to grab all the brakes, but I plowed into the CRV in front of me. Went down to my left, and immediately got up and picked the bike up like it was weightless. Adrenaline I'm guessing. The bike started right up, and the lady driving the Honda and I exited and pulled into the nearest parking lot.

She felt terrible, but I assured her that this was all my fault, and that I seemed to be fine. We exchanged info, and as there seemed to be hardly any evidence of our coming together on her back bumper, she wished me well and left. I continued home, quite shaken, as I had just experienced my first road accident. Thank the Lord, I survived it with no apparent injuries.

I'm really questioning if I want to continue commuting on the FJR everyday to and from work as I've been doing for the last 6 years. I know this is fresh in my mind and maybe I'll feel differently in a few days.

I do know that I need a new LH side rear view mirror, and a new front fender before I ride again, or think of selling. Just not sure right now.

I'm hoping that those of you that have experienced these feelings have some advice for me. I'm a lifelong street/dirt rider, 59 years old.

Leo

Don't make any decisions yet. Wait a couple weeks, then see how you feel about riding. I've been down twice, once in high school in 1980 and once 2.5 years ago. The first time really shook me up and I walked my bike back home, just down the street from my accident. The most recent accident was on my FJR and 1/2 mile from my house. I picked the bike up, reattached the left mid-pipe to the header with my tool kit, then continued on my ride from Indiana to Arkansas to meet with some other riders for the weekend. Hopefully you'll just realize that you took your attention away from the front too long and it was simply a lapse of focus, not an issue with you continuing to ride.

A few takeaways from this incident:

1) Thank your lucky stars you and the bike weren't hurt badly.

2) Don't ride as aggressively as you drive.

3) No matter how long you've been riding, there will come a time when you're going to crash.

4) Wear the gear.

Like Allen_C said, give it a few weeks. From a couple of other posts, it looks like you've got some repairs to make. Take your time getting them done, then decide.

I commute into midtown Atlanta almost every day; almost all of it on freeways. Had two drops over the past two years -- no contact, both at less than 5 mph -- but I think I know how you feel.

I've decided that my greatest danger on the freeway is not being able to stop in time. With that in my tiny brain, I am constantly checking three or four cars ahead for brake lights or slowing, and constantly checking mirrors to know where I can bail if needed.

Glad you're OK, brother. (And I'm 61.302 years old -- as shown in a financial form I signed today.)

Last edited by a moderator:
Just as the other posters said, don't make any immediate decisions, repair the bike and mull over your thoughts and feelings. We have all been forced to remember that the margin for error on all motorcycles is miniscule and the consequences are greater from time to time, you just got your reminder.

I'd say just learn from your experience and you'll be a better rider. Every day is a learning experience and as Jay Leno said, "your never too old to fall down"! It's part of riding and part of life. Your way too young to lay down in a box and wait for the end to come!!

First and most importantly, I am glad you were not injured.

Before I retired I commuted on my FJR, but my ride was mostly rural and no Freeways. If I lived in area with a lot of traffic and Freeway travel was required I am not sure I would ride at all these days. My reflexes have slowed over the years and traffic in general has become more dangerous with too many distracted drivers.

I commute in one of the busiest cities in the country, traffic wise. It takes focus. And a reactionary gap. Glad you're okay. Get back on that horse.

Shit happens all the time. Glad you're OK! I went down about 2 months ago just in a parking lot minor damage to the bike but it made me stop and think for 2 weeks before I rode again.

I'll be 61 next month I'll ride every day till the snow flies I just can't stop doing something I've done and still love doing since I was 15. I'm a little more careful give myself more space between other vehicles, definitely watch out for the other guy. Happy safe Biking everyone
! Ride on!

yep, glad you're ok. You are now more experienced than before.

"The only source of knowledge is experience" - Albert Einstein

"By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest." - Confucius

The first quote was my favorite, till I read the second.

Leo

About 7 yrs ago I had the same accident. Shoulder check the right lane and boom, the vehicle right in front of me has stopped. I flew over the handlebar (cruiser), thru the windshield and skidded down the road on my back for about 25'. The back of my helmet was ground off, right down to the inside padding. Speed when I hit was maybe 20 mph. Bike was a write off.

You asked for advice, so here goes;

You need to own this mistake. You were following too close.

Learn from this event. Maybe you have to unlearn a bad habit you have picked up?

Accept the fact that you are not 25 any more, & ride accordingly.

Your confidence has taken a hit, when you get back on the bike, as I think you will, remember that.

Any accident you can walk away from is the best outcome you can hope for. When an accident is self inflicted, it can be tough to admit it. Get the bike fixed. Grab a beer, watch a sunset and think about what happened and what to do better next time.

Glad you are ok.

-Steve

All good advise. So far I have managed to beet the odds. I always have in the back of my mind I am going to go down someday. It helps me to stay focused.

Best of luck and glad your not hurt. Hopefully you had gear on and if you didn't you should get some.

Dave

Glad you're ok.

I would not take a motorcycle into commuter traffic on a bet any more.

I did not have any serious close calls. But I am observant. And I love my life. I do still ride in fast moving interstate traffic, but not around the cities. I spend most of my ride time on open interstates between cities, and on sweepers and twisties. Pointless rides to nowhere are my favorites.

FWIW, I'm 66+ and I had this epiphany around age 62.

The other vehicles in the commuter mix far heavier, won't knock over or give much on impact, and are driven by short tempered, distracted, incompetent people who may or may not give a rat's ass if they collide with you.

To each his own. YMMV.

Whether to ride or not is a very personal decision, and because it is I no longer actively encourage others to ride (or not ride)...much.

I've commuted regularly in LA traffic for many years and have had numerous close calls. Some closer than others. I've also had many close calls while not commuting. That said, I've had accidents while not commuting, but not for some time.

My closest call while not commuting in recent memory was being cut off on S. Sepulveda Blvd when a driver raced to turn left into a grocery store parking lot before the oncoming slew of traffic from the recently-turned-green light blocked her path. Of course, I was at the head of the pack and punched it when the light turned green. My FJR and I nearly wound up through the passenger door and into the cabin (or more likely I would have been a mangled mess on the road 50 yards or so beyond the car, and the FJR would have been in her lap). This incident was on an evening jaunt when traffic was not bad. Fortunately, she heard my horn and stepped on it as I mashed both brakes putting total faith in my ABS, and catastrophe was avoided.

My closest call while commuting in recent memory resulted in me rear ending a truck at a low speed on the 110 headed south out of downtown. I had finished my day downtown and was headed to Oceanside to meet my family for the weekend. The road was a little unfamiliar (I usually head north from DTLA to Glendale) and I was excited with music playing and generally over-eager and distracted. It was stop and go traffic and lets just say I was less concerned with stopping. There wasn't adequate room to split and there was no shoulder. Again, I mashed on the brakes and put the faith into the ABS (this was not on the FJR). Fortunately, I barely nicked the bumper, slid onto the tank, and tipped over. All it cost me was a scratched stator cover and a new front fender.

The take away from both of these incidents was to keep myself in check. When I'm feeling too comfortable and complacent on the road I check myself and really try to re-realize that a momentary lapse in my attention could be detrimental.

Most of my close calls have been just that--close calls--because I generally drive cautious, account for risk by leaving space cushions, check blindspots, watch other drivers' body language to see if they have their eyes on the road or are checking their phone or appear to be aware of me, and anticipate others' poor judgment and hasty decisions. It's not perfect, but I've avoided a lot of wrecks this way. I also no longer listen to music while commuting in traffic (I almost never did before, and the one time I did it was a distraction; see above).

I guess I'll echo what others have said: do what you are comfortable with and take some time if needed.

In the event you do decide to continue to commute, maybe do as I did and use this as an opportunity to reinforce the importance of gearing up, while also checking how ambitious you are while riding and whether or not that ambition is causing you to encounter unnecessary risks.

Of course, in the end, we can never account for that which can't be accounted for, and there is always a chance of completely unforeseeable and unpreventable incidents that result from circumstances beyond our control.

That said, I'll mention a somewhat unrelated story. I met a fellow the other day that was selling his bike, because he can't ride due to injuries sustained during a car wreck. He was rear ended and the car that hit him flipped his truck. I suspect he might not have been wearing his seatbelt. But the point is we are never immune from risk, no matter what we're driving.

Leo, Glad to know you were not injured. Many excellent comments here and my thanks to all for the reminder to be ever vigilant when on two wheels.

I am 75 years old and all my riding is pleasure so I can pretty much select where and when I ride. Lady luck has been on my shoulder for over 55 years. In 1960 I lost traction on a sharp curve where the county patched the surface with loose gravel on the tar. I was going to a family reunion. My parents were following me in the family car. Bike went into the weeded shoulder and front wheel fell into a hole. Bike hoisted me into the air landing sending me into a corn field on my back. I lost my left sneaker and never found it. The bike's front fender was damaged and the handle bars tweaked. During then and now I have dropped a bike or two in my drive way or once at a gas station.

Reading these accounts of other's mishaps makes me more aware of the need to be a defensive rider!!
bike.gif

I'm really questioning...
This is completely natural and usually the first thing that anyone goes through after an incident... maybe take a few days off the bike and let things settle... go out for a short ride on the weekend without lots of traffic... work your way slowly back up to a place where you are starting to feel comfortable again and your confidence builds back up... it will come with time... glad it wasn't more serious and you're still around to question! ;)

Glad you are okay. Hope you still ride as long as you are comfortable and enjoy it. I still haven't made any permanent decisions. I did, however, just pick up my late father's cruiser to work on and possibly ride a bit soon.

I'll take a different track and say commuting on a bike is very dangerous. A car is easier and safer. And much less fun.

The thing that stood out in your relating the incident is admitting guilt. Never, ever say it was your fault. She may have been the sweetest little old lady ever, Saint Peter calls her when he needs a lift. That doesn't mean someone in her family isn't looking for a payday. Many people think insurance fraud is a victimless crime and have no problem with spontaneous back or neck problems. There is a billion dollar industry devoted to victim's compensation. Just turn on the television, it's lousy with lawyers saying they can get you compensation for your injuries.

I've ridden that freeway in San Clemente. I was headed out to visit Bgross (on this forum). That section of road is no better or worse than a hundred others any of us could name. You've been at this a long time, and no doubt you could advise many a young rider how to drive defensively. You ride back and forth to work because it gives you a daily opportunity to ride. It's likely that you ride during rush hour traffic because of this and we all understand wha-cher-sayin' here.

It boils down to this:

if you decide to take the safer route and cage it to work, thus leaving your FJR for weekends or an occasional evening ride...

--you save a lot of miles on the bike, you're less likely to get injured in an accident, and the cage doesn't require the same degree of focus. The weather's not an issue, and it's a little quicker to hop in and just GO: that's all good.

--however, you don't get to ENJOY going back and forth to work, and you're not riding your bike nearly as often: that's bad.

That said, either you're going to get past this and do exactly as you have been, or you're going to make some changes. Most of us have faced this. Though my accident wasn't during my commute to work, I still chose to keep riding. Glad I did. I love riding that FJR, and I don't try to avoid rush hour traffic either.

However, every time I go down, I walk away a little wiser. Happy to say I've never made the same mistake twice. Needless to say, you probably won't either. You'll never forget the mistake you made and what happened: this experience will guide your thinking from now on.

For most of us, the degree to which we ride defensively has a lot to do with those handful of times that we didn't.

Since experience is the lesson we learn AFTER we fail the test, why quit the class? Many guys get a little sloppy, go down once, learn some important lessons, and in many cases, it never happens again.

When it comes to this subject, there are only two types of riders out there: those who quit because they crashed, and those who learned something because they crashed. One guy never rides again, the other rides more carefully.

So here's the big question:

Was this preventable? Could it have been avoided had you known then what you know now? If the answer is yes, then you are indeed a better rider now than you were before. Does that mean you should avoid crowded highways from now on? I've known people who had an accident and refused to ever drive a car again. I love riding. There's nothing like it in this world. We could probably all say that. And if by chance I crash, the ordeal will very likely becomes one more bit of experience that will keep me safer in the future.

I don't ride because it's safe.

My couch is safe. I ride because I love it. Ha.... Then I "couch" when I need a rest from doing things that aren't safe. Funny how the more fun something is, the less safe its likely to be.

Me? I'd rather be happy riding, but perhaps not so safe... than to be extra careful and safe, but miserable because I miss what I really enjoy.

Hope that helps.