2018 FJR Details Released

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ignacio

Intramural Culture Warrior
Staff member
Reaction score
It's official! Yamaha released 2018 FJR ES details and reintroduced to the U.S. market A Model.

Matte Phantom Blue in North America. Same price as last year...and essentially the same as 2016 (with $9 USD)....that's a great value for this bike!

Available in November.

Tip-o-the-hat to Canadian FJR for noting the actual Yamaha release in the speculation thread. Pretend he's the co-writer of this first post. Also, thanks for the Canadian link.

I updated the FJR Model Comparison matrix.​
207d94f8-1f48-4cef-b909-e5beb28247cc.jpg
ES Model​
img.jpg
A Model​

Last edited by a moderator:
Not sure if it is the same colour, but on the Canadian website, it is described as "Matte Dark Purplish Metallic Blue". (Instead of the "Matt Phantom Blue" on the US site.) Are Phantoms dark, purplish and metallic? (There have been different colour offerings between Canada and the USA in some years, in addition to the differences in displays and "chipped" keys for the ignition immobilizer.)

I did a side-by-side comparison between the 2017 and the 2018 and there is NO reported specification difference, other than colour. Interesting that the "A" model has been brought back into the US market after being absent in 2017. (Was available in Canada last year.)

Not sure if it is the same colour, but on the Canadian website, it is described as "Matte Dark Purplish Metallic Blue". (Instead of the "Matt Phantom Blue" on the US site.) Are Phantoms dark, purplish and metallic? (There have been different colour offerings between Canada and the USA in some years, in addition to the differences in displays and "chipped" keys for the ignition immobilizer.)
Canadians called the 2016 "Purplish Metallic Blue" while the U.S. called it "Cobalt Blue". Suspect the same type of thing here. Again, this is all covered in the FJR Model Comparison Matrix...that will be updated in the near future.

Mama Yama must really like blue... what is this .... about 5 out of the last 12 years are (boring) blue?

Nothing wrong w/ it, but 2014 RED is really HOT! Maybe they just lost that other half of the color wheel.

Blue again. Meh.

Blue is nice, just been done a lot.....and two years ago. I know, I know, it's not the same blue.

Blue again. Meh.Blue is nice, just been done a lot.....and two years ago. I know, I know, it's not the same blue.
Gunny!

I will reserve my full-blown 'meh' until I see the matte blue in person, but as of now, it looks like I don't have to worry aboot getting a new FJR.

Interesting variation on the standard blue. I'm thinking it will still look good when dirty. ;)

Reading through the specs, I see that they still suggest you can plug your electric vest into the glovebox outlet. I guess that's a good idea if you want to test your fuse. :) LOL

I'm reserving judgement until I see it in person. I thought the '14 Red looked horrid from the release until I saw it in person. Not saying this will be awful, but I typically don't care for matte finishes.

I love blue and I'll get blue again. But since I'm not in the market for a new bike, I'm a little tired of seeing blue and black.

To much blue paint left over from last year. Walla! I would have preferred a matt green versus Blue again. Yawn,
lazy.gif
Wish they would come out with a digital camo version.

I like the matt black frame parts and black side cover. They must have read my post on all the stupid grey panels leftover from years past. LOL come to think of it those are probably left over black panels.

Dave

Its my fault. I want blue and they haven't been able to get me away from my '06. Too bad the '06 is paid for and runs like a champ.

Does the matte finish require different care? Different waxes ....?

I like the matt black frame parts and black side cover. They must have read my post on all the stupid grey panels leftover from years past. LOL come to think of it those are probably left over black panels.
I didn't pick up on the frame paint. Rearsets too. That could be a nice touch.

(Still has the chrome strips on the bags though.
biggrinsmiley.gif
)

While working on the comparison matrix I plugged in the new MSRP numbers and see the trend continues in value. 2018 FJRs are the second best value of all ABS models (2004-2018) when looking just at MSRP and adjusted for inflation*.

* I made the assumption had Yamaha offered a 2017 model it have been priced the same price as 2016 and 2018 and used August 2017 inflation data as November is not yet available.

2017-09-21_12-42-04.png

Looking closer and after it was mentioned about the frame - it appears the fork on the A model is black also. I dig that... just wish there was more than one choice for color... but if I remember there's only ever been one color per year with the exception of the AE models in the US.

Overall I really like the color combo this year - the matte finish with gloss black on the side panels and tail looks sharp. Monochromatic might look a little better I think. All I can say is at least they just didn't do plain silver or black again.

I'm sorry - this is horrible. IMNSHO, this is the ugliest FJR ever.

No one pays $18,000 for a brand new rat rod. At least no one with any sense.....