Ride the Catskills NY, USA

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kmk

Reaction score
Greetings all, been awhile.

After a nice ride to upstate New York in spring we thought it was time to head out once again. The group of sport bike riders we ran into heading up to the Saranac Lake Region said they where heading down to the Catskills to do some riding and that we should definitely check it out. So Aug 18 - 26 we spent riding around the area.

The ride out was good, we took 70/30 highway/backroads, left in the morning about 8:00 (a new record for us the plan was 7:00 but we knew that wasn't going to happen) and made it into the town of Hancock, NY at about 17:00 here are all loaded up.

loadedup.jpg

After arriving we needed two things good food and a cold drink, good news was there is a pub in PA, just across the river, about 1mi away. Since we don't drink and ride we headed out walking, it felt good to get moving after 10+ hrs in the saddle. The wings where awesome and steak sandwich was really good too.

pub.jpg

So after a good meal we start to head out, the waitress asks where we are coming from we state we walked from the hotel in NY and she looks at us like "really?" then states its supposed to pour.. we check the phones, yep a nice big blob of yellow and red heading right for us, yea. Another round? Another round. We headed out about an hour later after the nasty parts passed, we got a bit wet and walking back in the pitch, and I mean pitch, black was interesting (good thing I brought my flashlight).

The riding was great, daytime rain was non-existent and we got to see the eclipse. One night with a crazy downpour, but we had retired to our room, the bikes needed the wash, bugs on top of bugs. The state speed of 55 makes for some nice back road runs. The scenic views are nice too..

views.jpg

The week went to quick, we rode by day new loops on new roads and ate by eve, trying the local fare. It was a great time.

One issue the day before we left, I lost footing at an uneven stop, and down I went on the right side. Case and faring messed up, well, scratched up. Looking at having it repainted. Other than the paint and bruised ego (and shin somehow) everything else is fine. No, that's not extreme lean angle that's the GoPro snapping a pic while I'm trying to lift... bad GoPro...

exlean.jpg

A great trip even with the opps, the 2004 FJR rolled over to 50,000mi on the way home (rolled, ha). Still lots of riding to do.

Hey KMK nice ride report. Im heading up there next friday on my Sprint RS with a buddy on a ZRX11. What hotel did you stay at in Hancock?

looking fwd to some great riding up there. You pic looks like Hawks Nest on rt97

I look forward to one day getting up there and riding. Nice scenery in those pictures for this time of year.

Sorry about your "oopsie". I did a similar stunt in southern Virginia on a not so memorable day. Couple scratches on the left saddle bag. Gives the bike a little character. Oh well, if you can't stand it, give Garard (sp?) a holler.

Thanks for sharing....

Sounds like a great trip, love the scenery!

Tell us more about your partners FZ-10 set up for "sport" touring. THAT looks like great fun!!

--G

Upper Delaware Inn, nice rates, walking distance to town, food, etc. MC friendly.Updated recently, the rooms are not big, but they are clean.

Hancock is not much of a town, Hancock House has good food/bar. Room rates are crazy. Save your cash and walk. Chinese place has great food. We did not like the Italian place, and the pub in PA was called MicBrees. A bit of a walk but a great place.

Don't miss the dinner as your leaving town, also has great food.

More on the FZ10 setup when I'm not on my phone. 😉

Mrs. K previously had a FZ6R with the Givi bags and a touring screen, after setting eyes the FZ10 however she just had to have it. So last Oct. she dove in and traded up. We kept the Givi Bags and purchased the rack when it was available. We also installed a touring screen (Givi) some heated grips (Oxford) and a power port for her heated gear. She takes it to work most days (~80mi round trip) the only addition for this trip was a fuel cap mounted tank bag, for easy access to water. She loves the setup, and the FZ10.

Happy wife....
smile.png

Hey KMK nice ride report. Im heading up there next friday on my Sprint RS with a buddy on a ZRX11. What hotel did you stay at in Hancock? looking fwd to some great riding up there. You pic looks like Hawks Nest on rt97
Yep, that's the spot. First day was covered in cruisers and cars... way to busy (Sun), we went back on Tuesday to find it our own personal playground, much nicer. We went up and down and stopped to snap some pics.

Latest posts