Factory recalls on used bikes ?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SkipS

Reaction score
I went to look at a mint 2007 low miles FJR. The owner said he never got the factory recall work done because he didnt like the service dept where he bought it. He said I could still get it done at no charge. Is this true? .....thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe yes, maybe no. Some say there's no expiration, others say they were denied. Best to get the VIN and call Yamaha and maybe get some details.

With the '07, 2 of the recalls- the altitude fix and the ignition switch (with rare exceptions)- had to be done by dealers. The third- the ground connector- many had done and they failed anyway as the recall procedure was woefully inadequate. I never did have the dealer do my connector as two dealerships around me suck. Even with some preventative maintenance every yr mine finally died but IMHO an owner with moderate tech skills and research ability can do it. It lasted 9 1/2 yrs before I had to repair it and with all the available info I was thoroughly prepared and knew what the problem was and where it was before I started removing plastics.

I'd say if the first two recalls have been done and you can use wire strippers and a soldering iron without hurting yourself (or know someone who works cheap), and you like what you see then buy it.

eta link. will email pics if desired

He said I could still get it done at no charge. Is this true? .....thanks
Depends on the "recall", bulletin, or other detail of what has or hasn't been accomplished. Can't give you a definitive answer, but It's one of the reasons we have specific FJR issues listed with details pinned here for you to review.

I think if a lawyer could legally make a case for a safety issue, it would be hard for the manufacturer to ignore an uncompleted recall.

If it were for a paint or chrome defect, or some other issue that didn't impact safety, they'd probably send you away unhappy.

At least in the United States, if the recall is issued as a safety defect with NHTSA, or if NHTSA determines that the vehicle is not meeting a federal safety standard, then by law the manufacturer has to honor it regardless of ownership for 10 years. There is an exception for recalls involving tires.

https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/recalls/recallprocess.cfm]https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/recalls/recallprocess.cfm

It's not clear to me if the recalls on the 2007 FJR were safety related or not.

Edit -both the ground wire and the ignition switch are listed in the NHTSA site, issued in 2009 and 2011 respectively. The dealer has to honor them both.

That is correct. The "altitude fix" is not listed (registered) with NHTSA, so it is not technically a safety recall.

As the third owner of a 2006, I had two factory recalls done at a dealer at no charge last year. They didn't care who held the original title. They cared only about the VIN.

I had a new throttle position sensor installed in my 2005. Funny but I asked my sales guy to check on recalls while I did a test ride. He forgot but I still bought the 05 as it is mint. Three weeks later brought the bike in for an hour, looked for gear and then installed TPS under the recall for me.

The fact that he knew there was a recall and stated he didn't like the service dept is BS!

I have an 07 also, and, while searching for a solution to the on/off throttle issue {fixed, in the end, by installing a Power Commander} I purchased an 08 computer.

My 07 HAS HAD the "altitude problem" computer changed early in it's life so the used one I have is the correct replacement for yours.

If you buy the 07 and Mama Yama refuses to make good on the "altitude adjusted" computer, I will sell you this one for a very reasonable amount. Just sayin.

P. S. I just looked and there are three of them for sale on Ebay right now. LOL

I got my 08 and the previous owner didn't know about any recalls. I didn't either until I joined this forum. I called Mama Yama and they confirmed that the recalls were done for my bike.

Your local dealer is obliged to fix factory recalls. I would insist on it.

I bought my 2003 lightly used in late 2004 in Washington State. I then imported it to Canada. In 2011 I had it at a dealer back down in Washington for some troubleshooting. On his own initiative, the service manager checked my VIN to see if the TPS recall had been done. It had not so he went ahead and did it and sent Yamaha the bill.