Trouble Free SS1K Ga-Ar

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill Lumberg

Merica
Reaction score
Ran 1063ish miles in 14 hours even. North Georgia to Arkansas and back. Had an unanticipated problem finding something open at 4am to get a start receipt. No traffic stoppages. Few slow sections. I fueled at the Barbour museum exit going out and coming back, simply because I was low on fuel big times. Coming back, there was a shitload of random bikes, evidently dumping out from an event of some sort. Saw a guy on an fjr, gray or black, wearing a Georgia Tech colored short length jacket. Thought it was Hud for a second. Lucky to have a fairly traffic free, accident free run. A little hot in full aerostich, but it worked. Did not like the aerostich sleeve window for my spot. Straps weren't long enough, came undone at one point, and just made that forearm sweaty. Made me want to just put it back in its' purpose made ram mount on the dash, but I resisted. Vstream 20309 wasn't bad. My knees screamed for the lowering brackets I removed when I took the wife to the mountains last weekend. Laam seat made 1,000 miles pretty comfortable for the seat. But unlike the last one, today's run has me sitting with ice pucks on my knees.

Congratulations on the milestone so late in the riding season. I will refrain any as smart ass remarks about condolences to the ice pucks! :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Holy crap that is a 75 mph moving average. I thought that was only achievable with some sort of in-motion refueling system.

Im big and middle aged and still run a couple of times a week. That is why my knees dont like long periods of restriction, I suppose. I did the average too. I never stopped to eat (a couple of times on the ride Ill eat two bites of something and throw away the rest. Try to slam a Red Bull or water at each fill-up but sometimes dont ingest anything). Only got off the bike two or three times the whole run. Stop, pump, snap picture of receipt by odometer, bail. I dont feel rushed at fuel stops, I just feel like its a pit stop and Im losing ground on an invisible pack the entire time Im stopped. I had live nav in my helmet via iphone, and had my big map visual via my auditorially-useless 595LM on the dash. I was very lucky traffic-wise, and I encountered far less rain that I could have. As I told my wife, I dont mind riding in the rain at all, but it causes traffic problems. I need to put an MSR fuel bottle somewhere. I ended up on reserve several times either waiting for a gas station that felt right, or because I simply misguided consumption. Not close, but without a preselected stop coming up, reserve is a little too close for comfort.

Congrats on the run! That's a really good time! I'm an old man too, but prostate and back and hip issues make me need more time off the bike then you. If I do an SS1K run I need about 20 hours due of the number of stops and time off the bike. I did a Moonshine run a few years ago to get my membership, but all the other SS1K runs I didn't bother to get recognition for. It was enough that I know what I did. It is an accomplishment each and every time.

Damn, Billy Lumberg! Congratulations, brother! Nice accomplishment! Submit your paperwork and get that Iron Butt license plate backer.

In several places, I'd read that an SS1K will make you realize how far you can really ride if you want to. The ones I've completed have certainly done that; making it seem reasonable to take the FJR to Colorado in two days, do the BMRx Challenge, or -- next summer -- ride to and across the Mackinac Bridge.

PS: No, that wasn't me. Yellow Jacket sticker on the starboard pannier, so bulldog fans see it as I pass them on I-75.

Not my first or even second, but my fastest, and may be the first I get around to submitting paperwork on (not counting TOH submissions). I always keep it, but at the end of the ride, the ride seems more important than any external reinforcement. I'm going to send it in.