Hell Week Completed

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

101stpathfinder

Trading miles for memories
FJR Supporter
Reaction score
I wanted to wait until it was certified and official before posting up. Then I was asked to talk at the Big As Texas event.

Thought I would share it with the forum:

"I joined the Iron Butt in August of 2009, the very same month that an outstanding rider named Curt Gran pulled off an incredible ride called the "Hell Week"

(7 BBGs in a row)It was only the 2nd time that this ride had been accomplished. The first time was 2 years prior to that by a rider named Dale Wilson… or "Warchild" , as most of us know him by.

Spin forward to this past March at the Jax. Dinner Party, Dan Simmonds is introduced. Now Dan didn't stop after completing a "Hell Week", he continues on to complete a new ride called the "Deca" (10 BBGs in a row) Now "Hell Week" was being certified! So it was on. The ride I had always set my sights on was there waiting for me to do it.

After returning home, I studied the prerequisites to find it was mandatory to have completed 2 BBG Trifectas prior to attempting the ride. I had already completed one Trifecta, so I completed the 2nd one in late May. Now to start planning…

Last September while riding the "Sunset To Sunrise", I found I-90 to be very inviting. It had an 80 MPH speed limit most of the way, very little urban congestion from Washington state through South Dakota and it was very scenic. The 2017 IBR Finishers Banquet was to be held in the twin cities, so that locked in my timing. I would attempt a "BBG Quatro" or a "BBG Cinco" following the banquet to get a feel for the "Hell Week" which I decided to attempt the following year (2018)

In the midst of planning, I sold a set of side cases and 3 windscreens to a rider who lived near the banquet location. We agreed that I would bring them up from Florida. I also began purchasing a Bush-Tec trailer from the Seattle, WA area. Now I wanted to integrate these tasks into my ride plans. After thinking of the wasted time checking into motels, I opted for a base motel with an out and back route. I found a motel with a weekly rate and made reservations. I installed a trailer hitch on my FJR and sent a rear tire to my fathers in central Iowa.

Too soon the time passed and the ride was under way. Once in Iowa, I changed out the rear tire. The front had 11k on it and I felt confident it would last. At the IBR finishers banquet in the twin cities, the windscreens and hard side cases were exchanged. I strapped my soft bags onto the top of my fuel cell and rode my caseless FJR to Sioux Falls, SD to my base motel.

Once at the motel exit, I checked out the receipts at the "Loves" and found they used a store number instead of an address on the receipt. I found a 24 hr gas station next to the motel that had good receipts that I would use instead. Once at the motel: I stocked the fridge with 3 Subway foot longs, a gallon of chocolate milk, and a six pack of Mt. Dews. I laid all the paperwork in order by each day. Since I had only a trunk for storage, only daily equipment and paperwork would be taken each day.

My ride plans were simple:

I tend to ride slower than most, so I did not plan on hammering out the BBGs with speed. I set 20 hours as target times for each BBG. This would give me 4 hours to prep, shower and sleep. I set 4 am as my departure time and midnight as a finishing time goal for each ride.

The first 4 BBGs were uneventful with the exception of construction zones throughout and a bird strike on BBG #4.

The times were (Respectively):

BBG #1 19 Hrs / 11 min

#2 19 Hrs / 52 min

#3 19 Hrs / 39 min

#4 19 Hrs / 26 min

I had got into a rhythm and felt strong with 4 BBGs done. I decided to attempt #5 from Sioux Falls, SD to Issaquah, Wa where I would pick up the trailer. BBG #5 took 20 Hrs / 20 min. I met the seller of the trailer and went to a nearby power sports shop where the PayPal was done. We went over some things with the trailer and hooked it up. I laid down next to the bike for a short nap and thought it funny to be sleeping on the ground in Washington state while I had a paid motel room vacant 1500 miles away in South Dakota.

It was a short nap… I decided to at least make an attempt at BBG #6. After 20 Hrs / 53 min, I was back in Sioux Falls. I packed the trailer and slept for 2 1/2 hours. I was too close not to try to complete the "Hell Week". BBG #7 was soon underway. I took a much longer route home to Florida to avoid high congestion cities. I traveled I-55 south. I struggled on this ride and actually pulled into a rest stop near Pensacola, FL. It was my first rest stop during a BBG of the week. I finished the ride in Ponce De Leon, FL in 22 Hrs / 34 min.

My motto on the FJR Forum is: "Trading Miles for Memories" So in closing I say to you:

*Imagine your ride / *Plan your ride / and *Execute your ride.

To me, there is no better feeling then completing a ride that you did not think you were capable of doing.

Thank You!"
Kind of funny for me to talk in front of a crowd. I have a terrible fear of doing so, but I got through it.

It was probably a tougher task for me than the actual ride.

Last edited by a moderator:
Tony, I don't know if you are man or machine but that is an impressive week. I love long days in the saddle but I don't think I could do even one BBG.

I wanted to wait until it was certified and official before posting up. Then I was asked to talk at the Big As Texas event.Thought I would share it with the forum:

"...To me, there is no better feeling then completing a ride that you did not think you were capable of doing...
Kind of funny for me to talk in front of a crowd. I have a terrible fear of doing so, but I got through it.

It was probably a tougher task for me than the actual ride.
I know the feeling. My LD riding abilities couldn't even shine your shoes, but you are right. As you well know, I did a 50CC exactly once in my life. I will never attempt it again. However, nothing can replace that memory of the thrill of seeing America on a motorcycle and the joy of completing that ride just like I planned. Thanks for sharing.

Tony, I admire your sense of purpose and your ability to make your dreams come true. Congratulations on a fete few have the Testicular Fortitude to attempt! As we say in the Navy, Bravo Zulu!

Nicely done sir! That ride is beyond my level of desire to even consider but as long as you enjoy it, go for it!

I got tired just reading it. Holy cow, dude - you are the standard by which LD riding is measured.

Wow....