ANNUAL PNW Tech meet #20 July 7th, 2018

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Auburn

Reaction score
I want to give those who attend as much advanced notice as I can. Starting with PNW Tech Meet #20, we will be doing these once a year. We are planning a ride to Alaska again the end of May through middle of June.

The tech meet dates are to be determined yet. Leaning towards 2nd Saturday in May or the Saturday after the Black Hills Round up, but what ever date it is it will not interfere with either the Canadian FJR Ramble June 21-24, 2018 or Black Hills Round up II June 27-July 1, 2018.

For those traveling long distances, and may end up in the Seattle area, please contact me if you need to service your bike (oil change, etc...) before the trip home or to change tires. You can drop ship them out and install when you are here.

Some people have expressed the desire to tackle a valve check, but would like to have someone around to assist/make sure they are doing it correctly. There are several of us here in the PNW who can assist, so please post up the request or PM me, and we'll try to get you paired up with some who can help.

PNW Tech Meet #20 will be July 7th. - there are two main reasons for this date:
#1 my own schedule with a trip to Alaska
#2 make sure we don't interfere with the CFR and Black Hills dates.

I also want to make it at a time for those who are traveling long distances who may be attending the Black Hills Roundup II and then continuing out west so they can attend the Tech Meet if they are in the area and need a place to do any maintenance as well as meet a bunch of the PNW folks too.

Time for the now annual gathering, bench racing and tech day. Saturday July 7th at my house again. (If you haven't been here, PM me and I'll send you the address) Starting at 9 AM going until 5 PM. (Cost is $10 includes lunch and helps with shop consumables) PLEASE Respond to the thread if you are coming so we can get a head count for lunch.

Try to keep in mind if you are doing something that takes a lot of time, that it may not be the best place to do it. Some have tried to do a cruise control install for the first time and have not been able to finish.

Maintenance suggested so far are:

Grounding system
Tire changes (Derek Weaver tire machine) for those who need to (please take your used tires with you to the recycle - Les Schwab will take then for a nominal fee)
TBS
PAIR system block off
Various electrical and electronic additions
Brake system flush - please RSVP this
Fork rebuilds

If you are traveling some distance and need a place to stay, there are a couple of motels in Auburn about 5 miles away (La Quinta Inn and a Pepper Tree Best Western).

Lunch - snacks, main course TBD, salad, and soda. Bring your own beverages for stronger stuff.

There will be a swap meet also. Bring your stuff you want to trade or sell.

Attendees: (Please RSVP that you are coming for a head count on the food)

AuburnFJR & Mrs.
Niehart
Beamer Reamer & Mrs.
escapefjrtist
Hudson
Panman

AdamK

brady?

Sportsguy?

blubyu

enumclaw

exo55c

harald

JamesW

chazglenn3

heen

FastJoyRide

ahchiu

RC65?

bigjohnSD

fjrwalker

samamoto

dcarver

harper

blufjr

dzane

Last edited by a moderator:
Help me finish the shop and maybe I can host a lite tech day. Bout time after all these years.

I might be willing to help someone out next spring doing a valve check.

Might even be smarter to do it at the owners home, less distractions that way.

Can I bring my forks and have somebody help me with changing the fork oil? And if there is anything else I need to change/replace in my forks let me know? That would be great
punk.gif

Newb to the FJR will be there, and as you can tell I'm quite local. Maybe a bit loco too. ;-) Let me know if I can bring anything to help out.

Can I bring my forks and have somebody help me with changing the fork oil? And if there is anything else I need to change/replace in my forks let me know? That would be great
punk.gif
Won't be a problem...there's plenty of folks to assist. If your mileage is over ~25k, consider a full rebuild with new bushings and seals.

--G

Sign me up! Being new to the FJR I could use the help from some brighter minds

Date set yet?
We are working on it. Looks like with my trip to Alaska 5/24 to 6/10 and CFR, Black Hills, that the best weekends will be either 6/16 or 7/7 so people from out of the area have the best chance to attend. Working with the PNW crew to set the date. Should have it up in the next couple of weeks.

Date set yet?
We are working on it. Looks like with my trip to Alaska 5/24 to 6/10 and CFR, Black Hills, that the best weekends will be either 6/16 or 7/7 so people from out of the area have the best chance to attend. Working with the PNW crew to set the date. Should have it up in the next couple of weeks.
If you're interested in soliciting opinions, I choose 6/16, and not just because it's my birthday.
smile.png
Like many, perhaps, we're usually gone for several days around the July 4th holiday, so 7/7 is particularly uncertain.

After consulting with the PNW crew that helps put this event on, we have decided that July 7th is the best fit for my schedule and also to not conflict with CFR and Black Hills Roundup II, but also to offer a chance for those traveling long distance to Black Hills. See the 1st post for details