Spot Tracking Question (Rounding Down)

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill Lumberg

Merica
Reaction score
On the opposite end of the spectrum from Hell Week, I did a SS1K recently. This is the first time I've used a spot tracker as documentary evidence for this sort of run. My mapped route shows 546 miles each way. My odometer showed more than that, obviously. My track was started at the start, and ended at the end. But on the findmespot website when I export the track, it shows 979 miles. Is this an error, or is this normal as mileage lost via road deviation between tracks? My docs and maps are rock solid, but it'd be a shame not to be able to use the device and subscription I pay for to make it easier on the scorer. Should I just write off the track and submit my route and other required documentation, or leave this in? Thanks in advance.

Last edited by a moderator:
The SPOT transmits your location from point to point at time intervals. Mine is set at 10 mins. It doesn't follow the contour of the roads.Your mileage will be from one way point to another, not the distance your traveled.

I did a SS1K recently. This is the first time I've used a spot tracker as documentary evidence for this sort of run.
Remember that the two are not the same. Proof you did an SS1K for the IBA are primarily receipts and witnesses. You can certainly include a copy of GPS transmission data, but it's not primary proof.