Responsibilities

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JamesW

JamesW
Reaction score
If we were risk-adverse folks we would not ride,however, we do expose others when we do. I am speaking of significant others and dependents. After we had our children, and a semi running us off on the shoulder, my wife made the decision to not ride anymore till the girls were out of high school, sound rationale. I am speaking to protecting futures and while I continue to ride a lot I kept a one million dollar term life insurance policy(not an investment but pure protection), as well as mortgage insurance till the house was paid off. Protection in case I bit the big one. In retirement I took a reduction so the wife will continue to receive it upon my demise, if it happens on a bike, so be it. How many times have we seen "go fund me's" etc. for the less fortunate. Not for my folks. Give it a thought.

Last edited by a moderator:
When we had our first child, I stopped riding....on the racetrack. Although I could have argued with the wife that riding on the street was much more dangerous, she believed it was just an added risk. I however continued to commute on my bike. Of course there was the financial issue that racing was expensive and that money could be used for child expenses.

Keep I mind here I wasn't a new rider. Had about 10 years of experience on two wheels. I think if I had thought about buying a motorcycle (and having zero experience riding one) when my daughter was born the wife would have pointed out the dangers there.

It's really about assessing your risks. You can get cancer, have a stroke, be shot in a robbery or simply die driving your car from being rammed by a drunk driver. A friend told me his long time riding buddy never crashed, had several kids, but died falling down the basement stairs breaking his neck.

It's a good thing to provide for your family with more insurance (if you can afford it) and I'd agree that if you were starting a new family it might not be the best time to buy a bike if you've never ridden one before, but I wouldn't let one accident stop me from riding.

I stopped riding until mine were in junior high school and my wife, after over a decade of time not working full time, had a full time job. But much of that was because we were busy raising kids and I didn't want to spend money on a good bike. I have great health and good PAI and life insurance. It's a must for my profession, riding all the time just makes it even more relevant.

Great topic James.

I grew up dirt biking as a kid. But had to stop when I left home and entered the Navy. The dirt bike just wouldn't fit into my sea bag. Once I got out of the Navy, I had friends that road raced who I would go and watch. It ignited a fire inside me to get back on a motorcycle and to try racing. I did and the rest they say is history.

I had been dating lady a few months who after 6 months said that she thought motorcycling was dangerous. I told her that motorcycling was here long before her and would be here long after her. That was the last conversation I can recall having with her. I was determined the next person I dated would get that message right up front. I met my future wife a few months later. Our first date was to the motorcycle show in Seattle. The local road racing club had an booth in the show, and my race bike was one of the bikes on display which I showed her. I knew after the show, that if we saw each other again, there would be no mistake about motorcycles being a part of our lives. That was 20 years ago, and she is still around, and still a full participant. She does have her own Honda CRF150 dirt bike and is a very good rider, although we don't do much dirt biking anymore, mostly street bikes.

I continued to road race until the kids were old enough to ride themselves. Then we decided to pass on the passion for motorcycling to our kids by getting them involved in dirt biking. Motorcycling will always be a part of our lives. Although I did sell the race bike (Honda RS250r), I did keep the street bike (Kawasaki ZRX1100) and have always had a bike since. I also taught the basic riders course for the MSF for a few years. I don't choose to commute on mine, as the drivers around here are stupid and extremely passive-aggressive towards motorcycles. Not a risk I am willing to take.

We have always tried to take at least one 10-20 day trip for just the two of us to tour around. It is our time alone together and enjoying ourselves. Some years we will do the trip with another couple, but we still do a trip on our own too. We ride 2up most of the time, because I would not enjoy myself if I were always worrying about where is she. For us the best solution is 2up riding. We also started towing a trailer, because we got tired of setting up reservations at hotels, then having the reservations dictate where and when we had to be somewhere. The freedom of having the trailer with our camping gear gives us makes our trips soo much more enjoyable. Now our routes are a general idea of where we are headed, but may change as we ride (and frequently does).

We have music and the ability to talk while we ride. But you know, most of the time we just ride and see the scenery together and say very little. We can go for hours and not say anything, then talk for several hours. For us it is about being together and sharing the moment that is so important. It is funny about how many times we will be lost in our own thoughts and when we say something over the radio to each other, that we both are thinking about the same thing.

To address the risks involved with motorcycling, we do have insurance in place, that would take care of the house, any bills, and each other or the kids should something happen to one or both of us. Our kids are grown with the youngest in college now. But we still maintain our insurance to protect the family. We have always taken the viewpoint that you never know when your time is up, and that we don't want to get old and say, I wish I had...

Many of the kids (and our) fondest memories as a family are from campouts, or race days, or touring where motorcycles were involved. As well as many of our closest friends were introduced through motorcycling.

James, my experience largely mirrors yours. As soon as we had kids, I stopped riding, even though I had been riding since the age of ten so knew my way around bikes and how to ride safely. Problem was, you can't account for others' actions on the road, and I suddenly had more priorities and responsibilites that precluded taking any chance on an activity that was certainly optional and potentially dangerous. I did take up riding again when they were ten, and even introduced one interested daughter to the joys of motorcycling, but it wasn't without a great deal of consideration. In addition, we're well-insured, but even so my wife and I have not for the last 19 years -- since she was pregnant and kids were born -- ridden together, and won't until they're out of college and on their own; that's our contingency plan to make sure (to the degree that we're able) that at least one of us is around for them.

When my first child was born I stopped riding and put two bikes into the back of the garage where they stayed for almost 20 years. It was not a conscious decision based on a concern about the hazards of riding, though that may have been a contributing factor. In my case I simply did not have time. My job required me to use my car during the work day, so commuting by motorcycle was out. I was working full time and going to school at night and I wanted to spend all of my limited spare time with my new family.

After my three girls reached high school I started riding again, and eventually all three of my girls were riding with me. Life is good.

James, like you I stepped away from riding for about 15 years while my daughter was young. Safety was a consideration, so was economics. But mostly it was the want to be with them. We did boating and camping things we all could do together. But when I was 50 and she was in high school, I realized that they were into girl things and I had a lot less input. So along came a beautiful 05 FJR and the universe was in order again.

Riding has always been part of who I am. Always carried enough insurance to keep the world moving if I wasn't.

10264301_10152502436084628_5629670252882239084_n.jpg

10172718_10152437488899628_3937125359905240643_n.jpg

1931174_32569084627_7488_n.jpg

15493406_10154831543094628_7904057563853158022_o.jpg

My kids and my grandkids all ride or snowmobile. Lots of great memory's through the years.

Other insurances, heretofore unmentioned, are also critical to our immediate families and dependents. In order to ensure that I don't end up in a vegetative state following a motorcycle accident my wife, strictly out of self-interest, has requested that I ride with an "adequate" amount of either silver fulminate or nitroglycerin in the FJR "glove compartment." She's a sweetheart and a wise, protective woman but I told her that helmet placement would be far more effective..

James, like you I stepped away from riding for about 15 years while my daughter was young. Safety was a consideration, so was economics. But mostly it was the want to be with them. We did boating and camping things we all could do together. But when I was 50 and she was in high school, I realized that they were into girl things and I had a lot less input. So along came a beautiful 05 FJR and the universe was in order again.
Wife stepped away for awhile, I never did.

I had drifted from riding and got my first bike again after my first was born. I guess the logic was that I had already committed suicide by getting married, so I might as well go all in.

I continued to road race until the kids were old enough to ride themselves. Then we decided to pass on the passion for motorcycling to our kids by getting them involved in dirt biking. Motorcycling will always be a part of our lives. Although I did sell the race bike (Honda RS250r), I did keep the street bike (Kawasaki ZRX1100) and have always had a bike since. I also taught the basic riders course for the MSF for a few years. I don't choose to commute on mine, as the drivers around here are stupid and extremely passive-aggressive towards motorcycles. Not a risk I am willing to take.
Loving my ZRX!! A bunch of us rode over Snoqualmie to Lake Chelan and camped there earlier this spring, one of the prettiest places I've been in a long time. If you haven't been, put it on your list!

20150717_181459-1.jpg

Loving my ZRX!! A bunch of us rode over Snoqualmie to Lake Chelan and camped there earlier this spring, one of the prettiest places I've been in a long time. If you haven't been, put it on your list!

20150717_181459-1.jpg
Mine was a '99 I took delivery in Dec 1998. Put a lot of 2up miles on it. Great bike. I had a Ventura rack system to carry our gear. Here we are at Windy Ridge Mt. St. Helens

wl9wLvR.jpg

20150717_181459-1.jpg
Mine was a '99 I took delivery in Dec 1998. Put a lot of 2up miles on it. Great bike. I had a Ventura rack system to carry our gear. Here we are at Windy Ridge Mt. St. Helens

wl9wLvR.jpg
I know where one of those are sitting, it had the clutch basket explode. once the new basket was in it has a horrible rattle.

By the way your girl looked as good last Saturday as she did in that photo! :)

I have just committed to my first real hiatus from riding in 22 years when I sold my FJR last weekend. I have three young kids, a 4 year old and 2 years old twins. I didn't do it for them. I did it because, after being laid off in april, the only job that interests me is a 105 mile round trip commute, and I needed a commuter car. The alternative was I drive my F150 every day. My ROI is 2.5 years, anything that is a cost savings. My problem is, with three kids in full time daycare, I couldn't afford both. So now I have a ford fiesta instead of an FJR