My old Sena battery life is getting short

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

russperry

Reaction score
Anybody tried the 30u yet? Very expensive but has that expanded group connect capability. Or maybe a 20S on closeout?

Thoughts?

I had the same issue with my 5 year old SMH-10 unit and just replaced the battery. There is a video on YouTube explaining how simple it is and after watching I decided to try it. Bought a battery from Amazon.com for around $14 or so and in only about 30 minutes taking my time I replaced the original battery. The replacement lasts longer the original ever did. Initial charge took a long time, say about 5 or 6 hours but that number came down after a few charging cycles. It now lasts about 15-16 hours of near constant use listening to music and using the intercom. Eventually I'm sure I'll update my stuff but I figured for the relatively low cost of trying a new battery I'll milk it out a little longer.

I had the same issue with my 5 year old SMH-10 unit and just replaced the battery. There is a video on YouTube explaining how simple it is and after watching I decided to try it. Bought a battery from Amazon.com for around $14 or so and in only about 30 minutes taking my time I replaced the original battery. The replacement lasts longer the original ever did. Initial charge took a long time, say about 5 or 6 hours but that number came down after a few charging cycles. It now lasts about 15-16 hours of near constant use listening to music and using the intercom. Eventually I'm sure I'll update my stuff but I figured for the relatively low cost of trying a new battery I'll milk it out a little longer.
I just did the same thing with my SMH10. I dopn't consider myself an electronic genius but I managed it. I used these to join the wires so did it with a heat gun rather than a soldering iron.

Keep the 20S and spend $5 for a power bank. Keep the power bank and Sena charging cable in a jacket breast pocket. Plug in the Sena the first time she says, "Low battery!" and keep the power bank in your pocket.

Do you really connect with 6 or 8 riders as a group?

We use the SHM10 and I've replaced batteries on a few of them. There's nothing difficult about it, and if you buy the 650mah on ebay, you're getting an upgrade from the stock 560mah battery. The 650 is barely larger, but it fits just fine and doesn't need the adhesive tape to hold it in place.

3 screws to take it apart, cut the plug off the old battery and solder it onto the new battery. I put heat shrink tubing on my connections to help protect them. The hardest part is stripping those tiny wires, the rest of it is really very easy to do.

We can usually connect 2 riders very quickly. 3 sometimes takes a bit of voodoo black magic, and only once we connected 4 riders.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm using the SM10 and 10R. 10R dies in about 5 hours with music playing. Never had an issue with SM10 battery going flat.

Good thing with SENA everything works when powered up . Agree with Uncle Hud . Carry a small back up power bank. It kinds of defeats the true wireless features but works.

I recently changed my SMH10 battery as well after 3 years of use. It's a 3.7V 560mAh LIPO with a JST 2.0 connector. The screws require a T7 torx bit. The backplate has an O-ring seal so it won't just fall out. You have to work it off. Also, the battery is attached inside with double-sided tape.

I can't confirm, but I suspect the available 700mAh LIPOS with JST 2.0 connector might also fit.

I just got the Sena 30, but haven't had a chance to use it. I'm looking forward to seeing the differences in it and my 10.

Power bank in the left chest pocket. When plugged up, the cord runs from left chest pocket to left side of my hat (Sena) and there are no cord worries unless the hat comes off.

If I forget, and I often do, the cord detaches from the Sena unit without drama or damage.

I recently changed my SMH10 battery as well after 3 years of use. It's a 3.7V 560mAh LIPO with a JST 2.0 connector. The screws require a T7 torx bit. The backplate has an O-ring seal so it won't just fall out. You have to work it off. Also, the battery is attached inside with double-sided tape.
I can't confirm, but I suspect the available 700mAh LIPOS with JST 2.0 connector might also fit.
I didn't try the 700, but this 650 fit like a glove, no adhesive tape required. It's so nice to go from a dying Sena to one that will run all day again!

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l1313&_nkw=3.7V+650+mAh+Li-polymer+rechargeable+Battery+Li-Po+ion+602248&_sacat=0

s-l225.jpg

One of my Sena 20S [bought a set] would not charge. I ordered a new battery on eBay with a deliver date of May 14th. That's to long so I called Alex [black Hills Moto] and used the gift cert that I won in the Yosemite run.

Alex gave me a good deal and the with the $50.00 cert the price was right.

The battery that died was made in 2014. I used that headset all of the time so god only knows how many hours are on it.

Here is the battery I bought on flea bay:

3.7V 600mAh Lipo li-Polymer Battery For mp3 PAD GPS Bluetooth PSP camera 602540

TF 602540 3.7V 600mAh. The old one was 650. With shipping, the cost was under $8.00.

Russ, I really like my 10s, bit cheaper than the 20s evo. I also bought a Sena prism and use it to control the camera, hear gps and phone.

I generally ride in small groups or with Mrs so don't need the 20s extra connects. Doug and I rode a couple of times and it was ok, did lose connect couple of times, but battery lasted all day.

+1 on swapping batteries on the SMH-10. Typically all that's needed is a tiny (can't remember which one) Torx driver, a bit of patience (and not a screwdriver!!!) to crack the case, and a small soldering iron to put the existing battery connector on the new battery (and observe polarity - but you knew that). I used a light touch of dielectric grease on the seals to ease putting everything back together.

I now have a 20S. At most, I ride with a friend with an SMH-10. Works for us. Otherwise, I use the 20S for the phone (music and Maps, Waze, or Kurviger), external mic; I have long since given up on listening to my Garmin 660. (rant available on request). Some people report their 20S died in a heavy dew. I spent a day in pouring rain on I-95 and the 20S worked like a charm. YMMV