Cold weather low-grip = low side this morning

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sullivan

Reaction score
Not the way I wanted my early morning commute. My '16 (best color) slid out this morning at a local round-about, with no traffic, sand, frost, debris, etc. Looks like the tires just didn't like the 35 - 39 degree temperature. While I normally can scrape the peg here, it wasn't my goal this morning. The sound didn't surprise me, but the miliseconds of it turning into a low side was a bummer. After I rolled once or twice, managed to see the bike stop up on the outer perimeter island.

The good news: typical tupperware ground down plus the engine case cover and bar end.

Bad news: even though fairly low speed, the momentum permitted the bike to hit the sloped outer granite curb, tip upright and then slam it down on the right side! Yea, me! Let's not just wreck one side when both sides will balance it out. So the right side slam broke the mirror and resulting aluminum sub-structure for the fairing, more tupperware, both slip-ons. You get the picture.

Hardcases did not break off.

Lady stopped to help, as I was picking up the bike, but I politely thanked her and said all set. Off to work I road. Only 10 minutes late.

Appointment for a thorough estimate next Wednesday, so we'll see what it says and what State Farm says. One thing I don't like the looks of is the triple tree appears to be angles left (as in left turn) by possibly 3 degrees. Bike still tracks straight.

Anyhow, did all of that EOM riding and get snarled up in my local area! My Ride to the Rock and other foliage tours are pretty much cancelled to next year. Will let you know how I make out.

First Gear jacket was a champ and my new Olympia pants saved my knees. Only a small road rash across the face shield of my Arai.

I'm not liking my season being cut short as only had 6-1/2 months on the bike and wanted to hit 10,000 miles for the season.

Thanks, all, for listening to my ride report.

Dan

Ouch, a terrible start to the day.

What tires are you running? The same thing happened to a guy I know with PR3's on his Triumph Sprint. He said he had never had anything happen like it before but they always felt squirrelly when cold.

Crap! I had better luck than you with my 35 degree commute this morning. I'm pretty careful this time of year. A small patch of frost or a few wet leaves can ruin your whole day. I shudder to think what the cost will be to bring it back to new condition!

Ouch, a terrible start to the day.
What tires are you running? The same thing happened to a guy I know with PR3's on his Triumph Sprint. He said he had never had anything happen like it before but they always felt squirrelly when cold.
Rear PR4, front RS3, both fresh for EOM so probably 3800 miles on them. Just not sticky enough this time of year.

Hoping all works out in your favor getting the bike fixed. I know you are missing it already :( But at least your not hurt along with the bike. IT could be worse .

Ouch! Glad you're okay! Get a retail insurance quote on parts and buy them online. You should pocket a grand.

Did the front tire give way? Were you trail-braking? You've got me worried. I'm nearing the end of a set of Angel GT A-Specs and about to go to RS3s before a trip to the Smokies with the wifey.

Damn shame, and I saw it coming when you described the way it went down: you broke that damn weak cheap-ass "stay" that supports both mirrors behind the dash. Lots of labor to take it all apart and replace. It's the worst thing about the Gen III.

Could have been worse though. If you had a '14, it would have scraped up that beautiful red paint, and that would have been truly tragic. (It's good that you're ok, though.)

Least favorite ride report ever! Not to mention 0 pictures!

On a more serious note I'm glad you're okay and relatively unscathed. Bikes can be fixed or replaced, people not so much. It's coming into that time of year where I slow down considerably compared to the rest of my riding season. I see too many deer where I live, cold roads and cold tires, and commuters no longer expecting to see bikes that early in the morning conspire to drop my speeds. Let us all know how you make out with repairs.

Sorry man. I've never had sub-zero problems out of PR2/3/4/4GT's. But I'm probably a little easy on them until I've rolled a few miles (probably more so after reading this). I don't have any decent curves on my commute route until several miles from the house.

Last edited by a moderator:
I know the stock tires on my 2015 are not as confidence inspiring as the PR2's on the 2008. I will be glad when they wear out and can put a set of PR2's on.

Sorry to hear of your Mishap. Glad your OK

Dave

Same thing happened to me a few years back. Cold as snot, the day before the first snow so was taking the wife's Bandit to get last fill up before storage. Easy, 90 degree left turn that was not at any speed or significant lean angle and BAM! Low sided on the ground.... damn that happened quick!

I attribute it as my own fault, but the factors most likely were very cold temps, and more importantly cold tires. I was only a couple miles from home at low speed riding. No sand or visible black ice. Just cold tires, me thinks.

Sucks about the bike, but glad you're ok. As far as the bars or triple tree being off a tad, likely just twisted the forks.... loosen the upper and lower fork bolts, realign, retighten and you should be all set. Just make damn sure you take those dust covers off the handlebars and inspect those smaller bolts that are for adjusting the sweep of the handlebars...... those don't need much force to snap. Better yet, let your mechanic at the bike shops deal with it!

CJ

Glad you're ok, not the best way to begin any morning! That'll be a hefty bill to put the '16 back together, especially considering both sides...good luck with the "Farm".

Not the kind of ride report we want to hear!!

--G

Last edited by a moderator:
Another beautiful day of autumn commuting in the country, approx. 55 minutes each way. The floppy right mirror is....useless. Not pushing any maneuvering at speeds, although somehow 90 appeared on the instrument panel today.

Not unlike many of our bikes at the get-togethers, I'm not afraid of the bike having some minor battle scars. In this case, it seems like most of the weak link areas of the multi piece plastic have broken. Plus the damn aluminum. Get the triple straightened and we're good to go for high speed next year.

Yes, brain was over analyzing on the ride today about the factors involved, but I pushed it out of my mind as these things happen. At the age of 19, my 450 starter bike washed out in the spring on winter sand at a very slow right turn. Yup, learned a lot that day. So my calm demeanor the other morning was probably surprising to the nice lady who stop to check on me and offer assistance. Sure wish I could go on the Sunday foliage ride.

p.s. if for some crazy estimate, the bike was totalled or the bike shop accidentally smashes it with a forklift, next year's matte blue color is NOT for me. Just saying.

I did the same thing three years ago on a round about down the street from my house when it was 31º. $9k in damage, including Two Bros exhaust and riding gear.

I know that in my car, with summer tires (not all-seasons), I can definitely notice less grip when temps dip below 40 degrees or so. That's even on simple left hand turns, not even any crazy cornering shenanigans. And is also why I switch out to winter tires each season.

I can only imagine that motorcycle tires are more similar to summer compounds than all-seasons. Be careful out there.