Ignition coils failed

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gbrmksmith

Reaction score
Two of the four ignition coils failed on my 2014 ES at 61,000 miles. Anyone else had this problem? I replaced all four and checked my compression while I was under the tank.

running 120-130 psi. Seems like it should be higher.

Stick coils are a constant problem in BMW bikes. They eventually break down and then the bike runs like crap on only the secondary (non-stick coil) plug.

On my wife's Volvo, I have replaced three stick coils over the years - 1 original Bosch coil and two cheap knockoff replacements for the original Bosch coil. Stick with the OEM ones.

Last edited by a moderator:
Find it hard to believe you'd have two independent coils fail simultaneously. Not been reported here that I can find, only older models with the shared (2+4 & 1+3) external coils, and that is extremely rare.

There have been bad batches of coils in some models (i.e. Gen II FZ1) that have been known to have an intermittant, individual failure, and replacement with used coil packs from similar bikes (i.e. R1) has worked out fine. If it was a problem on the FJR, there would be at least some reports of it here.

You may just be the lucky one - go buy a lottery ticket!

I replaced coils with OEM. Gen III has a different coil than previous models according to the dealership. Maybe an issue with these new coils?

They've been around since 2013 and nobody appears to have had an issue.. and, again, to have TWO go out at the same time?

did he replace also the plugs?

before spend money replacing the coils personally I replace the plugs..

Yes, replaced the spark plugs first and did the throttle body synch. Still underpowered, took to dealership for diagnosis. I replaced all four coils with Yamaha parts. Is running fine now.

Have not heard of coil failures on any FJR, and must agree with the eflyguy: if there had been any, they would have been reported here.

Yep. I'd think we'd have seen them. I have the same year and same mileage. No issues with coils thus far.

Picked up a 2013 and on factory service manual. I did the compression test incorrectly, per the SM, you need to remove only one spark plug at a time and have the throttle wide open. SM says compression should be between 198-255 psi and be w/in 14 psi across the cylinders.

I'll retest and post results.

As long as they were all close to each other (despite being low due to incorrect procedure) I would not worry about it. Just as with coils, you don't read about compression failures, and on such a low mileage bike it would have to be a catastrophic failure to have issues so soon..

If just replacing the coils and plugs changed things, there must have been a bad connection or similar, or a VERY unusual failure. If the bike is running fine, just ride it.

Latest posts