COX Rad Guard

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Every now and then I think about this farkle, and it's perhaps a good idea to have one. Maybe. But in close to a couple hundred thousand miles on three FJRs, so far, no holes yet punched in my unguarded radiators by flying debris. But I'd still probably get one if I didn't feel like the asking price is too high for a bent piece of aluminum screen. Or if others hadn't posted their ideas and designs for self-made ones that seem to be equally fitted for the job the one in the first post does. So I'd do that too, if not for that first thing, above. Just don't really think I need it.

Maybe if I put 10,000 miles a week on my bike like Tony up there does, though . . .
rolleyes.gif

Had a Cox Racing radiator guard on my '12 FJR; have an R&G Racing guard on my '16 FJR... similar design and fit for both... two thumbs up. Seems like a small price to pay for a little peace of mind.

"Let's hear from the guys who didn't have one and now have holes in their radiators . . ."

Calling fjrob1300 .......................

Canadian FJR

Last edited by a moderator:
Let's hear from the guys who didn't have one and now have holes in their radiators . . .
I didn't have one and had a hole in the radiator (@ 175,000 mi). Nothing to do with rocks, however. (Back side of rad at top) Just a leak. I think it would be very reasonable insurance to have one if I did a lot of riding gravel roads. Being a cheap SOB, I would likely make one out of a mesh wastebasket as others have done.

I have the cox radiator guard on my 16es. Look on ebay you will get it a little cheaper but not a lot. Fit is spot on, mentally worth it as the Yamaha guard leaves a lot to be desired. To tell you the truth I put it on and then never think of it. Every now and then when I am looking over the bike or wiping it down I am glad to have it in place.

If you are able to install a Cox rad. guard you can make one for yourself. Go to Office Depot, Walmart, or any store that sells mesh waste baskets. Best to get one made from stainless steel. If you get one that is oval shaped you will find it easier to fit. Cut it to the same dimensions of the radiator face. Remove the flimsy plastic guard and place the mesh behind it and replace the flimsy plastic guard. Job done for about $20USD. In Canada that may be about $40. If you buy a standard oval mesh basket there is enough material to make two guards. If you know someone with a FJR you can sell them one for what you paid for the basket. Bottom line, you got one for free!!!
tommy.gif

"Let's hear from the guys who didn't have one and now have holes in their radiators . . ."

Calling fjrob1300 .......................

Canadian FJR
HEY!!!! I have a sturdy waste basket rad cover. (works fine Ross) . I believe my rad leak is age related . If you are going to powerwash the crap out of you rad fins it wont matter what kind of guard you use Scott! Right???

Seems strange to add cost and weight to solve a non-existent problem. I'm sure there's someone out there who got a fluke hole in a radiator, but based on that fact that you almost never hear about it and I've never had one in hundreds of thousands of miles of street riding it seems silly. Even if you managed to find one person on this forum who got a hole in a radiator, if you combine all the miles of all the other forum members you'd have many millions of miles of hole-free riding.

Seems strange to add cost and weight to solve a non-existent problem.
Let's hear from the guys who didn't have one and now have holes in their radiators . . .

Sorry, no actual hole, but I had such a dent and multiple broken strands on my Cox guard on my Gen 1 that I'm fairly sure would have holed the radiator had I not had it. When I noticed the hole in the guard I took it off and saw three other hits on it that probably weren't radiator killers outright, but thought how it also reduced fin damage and possibility of a hole out in the middle of nowhere.

Also had the tab broken off the boss near the oil drain plug by a rock, one aux light glass broken by a rock, and recall one or two people with holed FJR radiators over the years. Rocks happen a lot on the road. And while radiator holings certainly on FJRs are not a common problem, they're not non-existent.

And it's also curious that Yamaha engineers thought it worthwhile to factory radiator guards stock starting in Gen 2. Maybe you know more than they do.
wink.png

I've also got a PM out to the person that I sold my spare '05 radiator. Can't remember if it was a rock hit or something else. Hopefully they'll share.

Calling Reno John …
I had a very-bummer radiator failure due to road-shrapnel putting a hole in my 2nd Fastest Generation FJR ...it is very likely that a radiator guard would have avoided the issue. Happened during a Cognoscente event, I was on the clock and having a great rally up until that point.

I've since learned that heterosexuals use radiator guards. At the time I was just radiator guard curious, I learned the hard way, don't make the mistake I made. Now is the time to go heterosexual and put on the radiator guard.

I'll post pics and an amazing story later. RJ

Calling Reno John …
I had a very-bummer radiator failure due to road-shrapnel putting a hole in my 2nd Fastest Generation FJR ...it is very likely that a radiator guard would have avoided the issue. Happened during a Cognoscente event, I was on the clock and having a great rally up until that point.

I've since learned that heterosexuals use radiator guards. At the time I was just radiator guard curious, I learned the hard way, don't make the mistake I made. Now is the time to go heterosexual and put on the radiator guard.

I'll post pics and an amazing story later. RJ
IMG00058-20100717-1220.jpg

Full rider report HERE (edit, wrong link initially ooops)