dct. vs AE Is it worth the new technolgy.

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

terryfarnham

Reaction score
This rider has been looking at the paddle shifting bikes vs. the standard clutch shift.Not sure if I really want to embrace the new technology. For some I am sure its a fit for them. As for me I am still in love with the shifting and feel of a standard. Back in 2012 I bought an accura tl with a standard 6 speed All the salesman tried to talk me into paddle shifting. I notice in 2017 accura brought back the 6 speed standard. I have not ridden an AE yet. Any thoughts on this?

I loved the AE. But 2009 was their last year in the US.

Ive never been interested in DCT because of the bikes they have put it on.

But the new Goldwing is interesting to me, and I am definitely going for a test ride.

All the reports about DCT have been very positive ... from Honda, from the media, and from the public.

Just like the AE, there are ignorant people who want to argue that paddles are for sissies.

Since Mama Yamma will not provide new YCCS equipped bikes to the US market, DCT is really the only game in town if you need to have it.

At gl1800riders.com there are discussions from people who have experience with DCT on other bikes. You might check there, or on other sites where Hondas are discussed.

I love my '07 AE. Unfortunately there's just no way to describe the YCCS shifting experience without riding one.

You need to find one you can test ride.

I loves me some AEs. I test rode a Honda 700 with DCT. Very smooth and easy going, but the bike is too small for me at 6'. Plus, not crazy about chains anymore. I will test ride a DCT Gold Wing when I get a chance.

It took me exactly 1 city block to convince me that I bought the right bike back in late 2006, and I haven't look back since. I'm now on my 3rd Advanced Edition FJR and it's kind of like the DarkSide argument - you really don't know for sure until you actually give it a try.

I've also been DarkSiding for the past 130k miles
tonguesmiley.gif

As far as I'm concerned the AE platform has indeed proven itself as reliable - provided it is maintained properly through the years. Bear in mind that the newest AE bike is now going on 9 years old, unless you happen to be on the other side of the pond. If you get one, be prepared to get to know it as you service it. It is just a electro/mechanical system designed and built, and maintained by humans. Buy a printed Yamaha Shop Service Manual and become familiar with it.

DAMN-IT Remember, these things are supposed to be FUN!

Brodie

tomato.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
I loved the sissy shift on the Spyder. I wish there was a way to retrofit it to the 06 wing

I loved the AE. But 2009 was their last year in the US.
Ive never been interested in DCT because of the bikes they have put it on.

But the new Goldwing is interesting to me, and I am definitely going for a test ride.

All the reports about DCT have been very positive ... from Honda, from the media, and from the public.

Just like the AE, there are ignorant people who want to argue that paddles are for sissies.

Since Mama Yamma will not provide new YCCS equipped bikes to the US market, DCT is really the only game in town if you need to have it.

At gl1800riders.com there are discussions from people who have experience with DCT on other bikes. You might check there, or on other sites where Hondas are discussed.
Agreed I think a test drive of the 7 speed Honda goldwing is order to try out DCT

Adding my thumbs up for the AE. First time I rode it in stop-and-go traffic, the deal was done!! Also, don't forget that the AE still has the toe shifter, so paddle use is optional!
smile.png

Never rode a DCT, 'n this is 11 year old technology fer Yamaha, bew years back I dun wadded my beloved black cherry '07A, 'n knew I was gonna replace it w/ another FJR; but what vintage? As it turned out, the AEs (That didn't sell well here in the states.) were considerably cheaper than the As, 'n since I busted my pinky finger, let the bones grow back over lapped, I was considering have'n surgery to fix that, an '07AE was what I picked.

The up shifts w/ the AE are great, but downshifts r a little funky. There's a slight hesitation from when u click the paddle, or tap the shifter to when it actually shifts.

The AE haz a second brain that resides under the seat, where I used to keep my slime pump, so now the Slime pump resides in my tank bag. (First world problems?)

The air cleaner on the AE is a real beeeooootch to change.

Other than that, the AEs are great. It's so nice to be sitting at a light, 'n when it turns green, just twist the throttle and rip away. Or, whilst in the twisties, you can weight the pegs 'n shift w/ the paddle.

It's basically a speed shifter 'n Yamaha shoulda sold it as so, then it woulda been much more popular.

I did a testride on Honda Crosstourer DCT last year. It is really easy to ride, no worries about shifting. Very smooth and comfy. But i did not like the somewhat rattling sound of it in low speeds/revs, got a feeling as if something is loose inside there. Honda tech, however, assured me that this is how it has to be.

Quote:

The up shifts w/ the AE are great, but downshifts r a little funky. There's a slight hesitation from when u click the paddle, or tap the shifter to when it actually shifts.

BanjoBoy,

Your AE needs its shift linkage adjusted. There is an alignment hole on the link arm attached to the shift unit (next to the air cleaner) which aligns up with a drilled hole on the face of the shift unit housing. You should be able to temporarily insert a 5mm pin through the arm and into this blind hole when properly adjusted. Lengthen or shorten the turnbuckle style linkage to make this alignment happen. This adjustment places the splined shaft at the correct rotational position for the assembly, and the delayed downshift will go away.

Brodie

🙂

Sometimes, because of arthritis issues I NEED the paddle shifters. Most of the time I do not, so this has allowed me to have many bikes with regular shifting.

This was my 50th season of street riding and Ive owned 30 bikes.

The AE shifter is good fun. You can run up as fast or faster with them, and the people who say that the paddle shifting is somehow less good just have not developed the skills necessary to fully exploit it.

I am very happy when my arthritis is not keeping me off other bikes ... but when arthritis does strike, I really appreciate having options like DCT or YCCS to keep me rolling.

Sometimes, because of arthritis issues I NEED the paddle shifters. Most of the time I do not, so this has allowed me to have many bikes with regular shifting.
This was my 50th season of street riding and Ive owned 30 bikes.

The AE shifter is good fun. You can run up as fast or faster with them, and the people who say that the paddle shifting is somehow less good just have not developed the skills necessary to fully exploit it.

I am very happy when my arthritis is not keeping me off other bikes ... but when arthritis does strike, I really appreciate having options like DCT or YCCS to keep me rolling.
Like I say for some the AE is a perfect fit. I think a honda test drive of the DCT goldwing 1800 is in order.

Quote:The up shifts w/ the AE are great, but downshifts r a little funky. There's a slight hesitation from when u click the paddle, or tap the shifter to when it actually shifts.

BanjoBoy,

Your AE needs its shift linkage adjusted. There is an alignment hole on the link arm attached to the shift unit (next to the air cleaner) which aligns up with a drilled hole on the face of the shift unit housing. You should be able to temporarily insert a 5mm pin through the arm and into this blind hole when properly adjusted. Lengthen or shorten the turnbuckle style linkage to make this alignment happen. This adjustment places the splined shaft at the correct rotational position for the assembly, and the delayed downshift will go away.

Brodie

🙂
Thanks a million, I'll have ta check this out.
thumbsupsmiley.png

I have a Honda NC700XD in my garage. This is the DCT version of the NC700 adventure style bike and was a perfect fit for my wife who had ankle surgery and is limited with her left ankle. There's no shift lever - only paddles on the left side switch cluster. It defaults to Auto, which puts you in 5 gear by the time you hit 30mph. The goal is high MPG and it delivers 70+ regularly. You can also select Sport Auto mode (I do on every ride) which delays upshifts and downshifts quicker for a more sporty ride. I'll ride it occasionally and it's works very well with a couple caveats.

First issue is that honda has seriously limited the rev potential of the engine, which causes me to slam into the abrupt rev limiter if I'm operating it in Manual mode. It won't shift automatically in manual mode except to go to first after a stop. Because I have a lifetime of sport bike riding, I can't get used to shifting that early but I suppose I could retrain myself if I rode this bike more often.

The other issue is going downhills where it will automatically upshift and not provide any compression breaking. You can override auto at any point and downshift with paddles, but as soon as you give some throttle it goes back to upshifting. I have multiple downhill curves leaving my home and this is rather annoying. If this was my daily ride, I'd have to learn to use Manual mode without hitting the rev limiter constantly to avoid this downhill coasting.

It'll be interesting to try the HondaPotamus with DCT when it comes out to see what/if they've done differently.

Latest posts