Death Valley via dualsports

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bugnatr

Reaction score
This fall I upgraded my tried 2000 KLR 650 with well over 22k hard miles for a fresh 2007 KLR with 2,090 miles. What better way to enjoy the new to me KLR than take it to the desert and pound the shit out of it for 3 days/600 miles on all types of washboard roads in one of America's biggest and most badass National Parks. What you see from the pavement is only a small slice of what the park entails, the real beauty is where only the gravel roads take you into the back country. The first thing to know is this park is HUGE, the largest in US (excluding Alaska) at 5,262 sq. miles.

I believe this is my 14th visit to the park of which half have been on the dualsports that we haul the 400 miles to get there. With a few calls to Robert (FJRob), Brad (Uberkul) and his trusty sidekick Don a plan was in place. Usually we stay in Beatty, Nevada but this trip we chose Panamint Springs Resort (crappy digs but good food and fuel) so we made due and we liked the location on the western side of the park. Our digs for 3 days.

IMG_7641.jpg

The bikes.... two DR650's, one Honda XL650 and the mighty KLR

IMG_7731.jpg

Day one plan.Ride through Saline Valley to Big Pine for lunch, after all it was only 100 miles. As with most dual sporting the key to serious back country riding is a bike in good shape, tires and lots of tools for the McGyver moments as AAA isn't coming to get you.

IMG_7644.jpg

My new to me KLR had some type of fuel blockage about 35 miles in but riding with 3 mechanics is not a bad idea. After an hour of tank removal and futzing with the bike all was well and we were off again.
We are headed that way.

IMG_7667.jpg

Miles and miles of this

IMG_7669.jpg

and that with lots of dust throw in for good measure.

IMG_7675.jpg

Some old mining towns on the way

IMG_7495.jpg

But we did make it to Big Pine for lunch and fuel. We decided to ride by the Eureka Dunes on the way back to the Resort. This would make it 150 mile return ride and we knew it would be dark before we made it back but we had headlights so we went for it. The Eureka Dunes are some of the tallest in the US at 680 feet and are huge but so is everything in the desert, the size is hard to comprehend but awesome indeed.

IMG_7514.jpg

The road goes around the backside of the dunes where we had to trudge a few miles through deep sand which is almost as much fun as riding in deep snow.

IMG_7524.jpg

Steel pass was a bit of a challenge but we made it, now the daylight was slipping fast and temps were dropping fast. Time to throw on the liners for the 1+ hour ride in the dark, it gets real chilly at dark in the desert.

IMG_7549.jpg

IMG_7544.jpg

Not the best pictures on the fly but we had a real nice pre full moon helping light the way. Made it back to a nice dinner and beverages while planning day two.
IMG_7554.jpg

Day two was a special day as I have been wanting to ride Titus Canyon in the dark with a full moon for close to ten years and this would be the day!!!

Wasn't long before Brad showed us his superior parking skills

IMG_7643.jpg

We rode up Wild Rose road and then headed to the Charcoal Kilns George Hearst (Randolph's dad) built in 1870. Only used for two years to reduce the Juniper on Telescope Peak to charcoal for the gold smelting, quite the structures.

IMG_7576.jpg

We continued up the rugged mountain road to the highest campground and the end of the road. From here one can walk the remaining 3,000 feet to the top of Telescope peak. We were not the ones to do that.

IMG_7591.jpg

Where else can you ride above 8,00 feet and an hour later be 280 below sea level, man I love this place.

Near Stovepipe Wells we stopped at the Mosaic Canyon, we actually walked a short distance to view another wonder of nature.

IMG_7618.jpg

Our plan is to ride through Titus Canyon in the full moon after dark starting near the Nevada border. Titus Canyon is IMHO, the greatest road in America. It is a one way road through a tight wash with 2-300 foot walls straight up on each side and just enough room for a pickup. After Leadville we turned off the bikes and coasted in the full moon for miles back into Death Valley.

Words cannot describe the look of the moon bathed rock walls, plus the sound of the gravel under the wheels just added to the mystic of the ride. Absolutely the best ride ever, we may just make this night time ride an annual event. My camera doesn't do moonlight pictures but here's proof it was dark, Uberkul has the good pictures.

IMG_7627.jpg

First day was 250 miles and this day was 240 so day three would be easier...we thought.

Our route was over Hunter mountain to the famed race track with a stop at Teakettle junction. Uberkul brought a teakettle that we signed and noted locations of our ride. It looked new and shiny but with a big rock he gave it the desert look.

IMG_7684.jpg

On to the Racetrack
IMG_7691.jpg

IMG_7692.jpg

From here we rode down Lippencott Mine road. It was really steep with sheer 200 foot drop offs on the side of the road and it didn't take long to realize first gear was way to fast. Lots of braking, slow going but we made it. Sorry no pictures as I was a bit busy staying alive.

Only a hair over 100 miles for the day but we were feeling the love of Dualsporting for 3 days so it was time to kick back and enjoy the sunset from our digs.

IMG_7744.jpg

IMG_7750.jpg

IMG_7746.jpg

Thanks to Robert,

IMG_7659.jpg

and thanks to Don and Brad.

IMG_7709.jpg

These guys were great companions and with lots of side by side riding at speed on the narrow desert roads I never once doubted their quality riding skills. I'll be packing a grin for a while after this ride. Motorcycles are good for the soul, eh?

Last edited by a moderator:
Very nice. Thanks for posting. This line is funny, "From here one can walk the remaining 3,000 feet to the top of Telescope peak. We were not the ones to do that."

Ok, maybe it was a little better than fine.

Desert chicken? He did go missing somewhere during the weekend.

P1030100-X2.jpg

First morning start, so far so good.

P1030107-X2.jpg

The wild bunch rounding the corner. Be afraid citizens.

P1030114-X2.jpg

Doug's bike running well, for the moment.

P1030116-X2.jpg

Tried to convince Rob I had some debris in my zipper while he was… yaknow.

P1030125-X2.jpg

We loosened things and tightened things until it ran. Stooopid air filter bolt!

P1030126-X2.jpg

P1030127-X2.jpg

I made a deposit to the bank of favors. Someday when I need electrical tape I’ll make a withdrawal. All work is signed with a full money back guarantee.

P1030128-X2.jpg

P1030131-X2.jpg

Don, enjoying things in his imagination.

P1030136-X2.jpg

Imagine this paved on a light bike with very sticky tires.

P1030139-X2.jpg

Gumby reminds me to fall like a flexible little rubber person with thin wire for bones when things go bad. Much heavy gauge stainless works against us in that department.

P1030143-X2.jpg

Unlike the others I kinda like sand until it reaches the nether regions. Yes, look hard and that is a twofer.

P1030153-X2.jpg

P1030147-X2.jpg

P1030155-X2.jpg

Doug is super proud of his right bicep.

P1030160-X2.jpg

Steel Pass, Uber approved!

P1030170-X2.jpg

Don looking all badass rider and stuff.

P1030172-X2.jpg

Freakville otherwise known as Eureka Springs. I see naked people, old ugly naked people.

P1030175-X2.jpg

But wait, there's more.

It wasn’t planned but we had fortune with us as the moon waxed to full ending our day's ride.

P1030177-X2.jpg

The next morning we rode out to the end of a road behind Panamint Dunes to get a good shot of Doug’s awesome bicep.

P1030180-X2.jpg

Kilns, Doug covered that one. But while we're here check out that sexy motorcycle on the right.
love.gif

P1030187-X2.jpg

The Skidoo Mill of 23 Skidoo fame for all us old farts that have heard the phrase.

P1030196-X2.jpg

P1030197-X2.jpg

Manly men contemplating the vastness of their inner souls. Or could it be our butts are tired and the longer we stand here the longer we can rest?

P1030201-X2.jpg

Mosaic Canyon was another first for me and others. It was almost rideable other than rules and laws and stuff.

P1030208-X2.jpg

P1030209-X2.jpg

P1030210-X2.jpg

P1030214-X2.jpg

P1030216-X2.jpg

Dinner at Denny’s in Beatty, no photos taken but you can imagine the wonder.

Titus Canyon at night was conceived with the help of liquor many years past and included unlawful fireworks at the time. Kettle drums and clashing symbols was the soundtrack in my head when the plan was hatched. On this magical night where fortune provided the full moon as accompaniment, Pink Floyd seemed more apropos.

P1030219-X2.jpg

The full moon chased us that evening with multiple risings, giving astonishment at each pause to admire.

P1030222-X2.jpg

The Canyon amazed, but Doug yearned for more, the full meal deal, the cherry atop the Sunday. Go back and coast it with no lights! Insanity!

He did, solo. Then talked me into it as well, solo. It was sublime.

Kind of like the bat signal, but for DR650’s.

P1030227-X2.jpg

Basking in the glory of the evening.

P1030232-X2.jpg

If you can stand it there's just a little bit more.

What an adventure! That's a bucket list adventure for sure. Great pics with the bikes and dunes in the background. Thanks for sharing. Edit: I missed the last round posted prior to my comment. Very cool.

Thanks Gents but I knew Brad had the real pictures...pretty good for a guy on a Suzuki.

And for the record, Robert got to figure out why he had no spark on his SUZUKI!!!!!

IMG_7638.jpg

At least my KLR had the balls to quit 35 miles from the hotel to add some adventure to our adventure riding instead of stopping at the motel.

Lets start the next day with one motorcycle not starting. Im embarrassed to say it was a Suzuki DR650. Id be even more embarrassed to say it was mine, but is wasnt, so Im good throwing Rob under the bus with his broke-ass shit. He fixed it lickety split though, almost like he knew what he was doing and off we went for our third and final day in the Valley of Death. [Dramatic pause]

They do try to warn you not to be a dumb-ass out here with signage.

P1030236-X2.jpg

The skies were much clearer today than previous days so the views opened up.

P1030238-X2.jpg

P1030239-X3.jpg

P1030240-X2.jpg

Don, being an amature moto metallurgist decided to run an experiment on the resilience and sheer strength of his shift lever. He bent it out and in, it didnt break off. Conclusion; he got lucky.

P1030242-X2.jpg

Oh look, signal! Go go Gadget Rob!

P1030243-X2.jpg

Ive been holding this teakettel for years just waiting for this moment and look, I forgot to put a fender on my cartoon bike! Ghey!

P1030245-X2.jpg

P1030246-X2.jpg

P1030247-X2.jpg

The distressing is to set our pot apart from others but the ghey bike does that.
fool.gif

The Racetrack, no racey stones spotted.

P1030248-X2.jpg

This pass has a reputation but hell, we just watched a BMW GS1200 roll up from the other side so how hard could it be?

P1030250-X2.jpg

Not so much hard but the fall exposure leaves little brown stains in your panties.

I rode the outside line at speed before realizing that was one of the dumbest things Ive ever done! But I lived so it was cool as hell. Here are Don and Rob leaving sparks from the hand-guards hugging the wall smart.

P1030253-X3.jpg

P1030255-X3.jpg

P1030257-X3.jpg

Doug wanted to go back and do it again, at night, coasting with no lights.
clown2.gif

P1030264-X3.jpg

P1030268-X2.jpg

I call this Cool Clouds and Cactus, pretty sure everyone else called it the same.

P1030271-X2.jpg

It wouldnt be a ride without the death defying camera juggle of getting a shot at speed. More camera death than my own.

P1030274-X2.jpg

No broken bikes or bodies and feeling like bad-ass adventure riders. [Que the music, Queen, We are the Champions]

P1030277-X2.jpg

Great pics, Bugger... and even better pics from Brad!!
wink.png

DV is such an amazing place and I really loved seeing your views of it from vantage points that I most likely won't see it from... glad all y'all made it back safely and in one piece!
punk.gif