Gen 3 Coolant Change procedures?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ndv21

Reaction score
I tried searching the forum to see if there was any detailed write up for a coolant change. I found several threads on coolant leaks and such but no procedures. I will probably siphon the coolant from the reservoir tank since it seems very clear. I'm trying to avoid completely taking off the left side panel if at all possible by simply removing the triangle nose and the 2 fairing bolts to loosen it up. Is this possible? Any advice?

I read that fjrtech article when I first got the bike and I still don't understand why anyone would want to bother to remove every drop of coolant - assuming that you are replacing it with a compatible product. I open the radiator cap, remove the drain bolt on the water pump and refill with 50:50 (after replacing the drain bolt). You can siphon out the expansion tank if you wish. Refill it and call it good until the next time. I change coolant whenever I do a valve check since it has to be drained for that. Note: Antifreeze remains effective forever but corrosion inhibiting additives go off and the fluid picks up some (not much) contamination over time.

Last edited by a moderator:
I read that fjrtech article when I first got the bike and I am still don't understand why anyone would want to bother to remove every drop of coolant - assuming that you are replacing it with a compatible product. I open the radiator cap, remove the drain bolt on the water pump and refill with 50:50 (after replacing the drain bolt). You can siphon out the expansion tank if you wish. Refill it and call it good until the next time. I change coolant whenever I do a valve check since it has to be drained for that. Note: Antifreeze remains effective forever but corrosion inhibiting additives go off and the fluid picks up some (not much) contamination over time.
^^^^ ditto. On my bike and my cage vehicles I change the coolant every two years. As RossKean stated, the coolant contains anti-corrosive and water pump lubricant which has a useful life span.

I only needed to loosen the top cover to access the radiator cap, then used a hose to drain the reservoir. No need to remove any fairings at all. This was on my 2014.
6C5ptf6.jpg

Great info. Mikerider, no need to remove the right fairing? How do you avoid splashing coolant from the drain bolt onto the fairing if not removed?

Word of advice, may not apply to all. My overflow reservoir began to get a little cloudy looking after a couple of yrs so after that when I replace the coolant yearly, I remove the reservoir and wash it out with a little dish detergent and a bottle brush.

On the right side,I loosened the fairing bolt and use a plastic rod to keep it away, then wrapped a plastic bag around it. When loosen the drain bolt, I did not remove it completely until it was about half empty so the coolant did not shoot out like a busted water hose.

As to the reservoir, I use a small hose dip into the reservoir and a syringe and once it started flowing, I removed the syringe and it just kept draining due to capillary action (as long as the other end is lower than the bottom of the reservoir) until almost to the last drop.

Here is a pic:

YvNzoK0m.jpg

On the right side,I loosened the fairing bolt and use a plastic rod to keep it away, then wrapped a plastic bag around it. When loosen the drain bolt, I did not remove it completely until it was about half empty so the coolant did not shoot out like a busted water hose.
As to the reservoir, I use a small hose dip into the reservoir and a syringe and once it started flowing, I removed the syringe and it just kept draining due to capillary action (as long as the other end is lower than the bottom of the reservoir) until almost to the last drop.

Here is a pic:

YvNzoK0m.jpg

^^^ Mikerider's method is exactly how I do it. Additionally, I remove the reservoir and was it out to ensure good clarity.

Have any of you had an issue with the drain bolt weeping coolant? I do not want to over tighten it. Generally it eventually stops weeping.

As I would like to actually remove the coolant reservoir to wash it out thoroughly, is there an easy way to accomplish this? In other words, can the left side cover be removed without removing most of the rest of the fairing plastic? Anyone have a procedure for remove just the left side cover?
Thanks.

Drain, BLOW make a mess and fill. Run 1 minute to purge some air and refill. Run till fans come on and check bottle level. Recheck after everything cools down at bottle.

Never take a rad. cap off a hot engine.