Advice needed: For A Gen III Power Management Question

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wiggy1

Reaction score
Looking for a bit of help with respect to power management for my electrical farkles. I searched through the forum and external FJR technical websights and want to make sure I didn't miss anything.

I have a Gen III 2013 and am running Clearwater Darla lights, J&M CB/intercom, Garmin GPS, Corbin Heated seats (pilot and passenger), and heated gloves and jacket liner for pilot and passenger. I also charge my phone using the D.C. port in the glovebox. My passenger asked me to add a heated liner to the mix so I started looking at my power requirement so I can manage the draw. Now I don't generally use the aux lights or pilot's heated clothing at full power, but the seats have one setting and my passenger gets cold easy so she likes to crank things up. As such, I am looking at full power consumption. This means I have the potential to use 404 Watts before adding the heated pants. That would be another 48 Watts. I have everything going through the FZ-1 Fuzeblock, but the winter plan is to rework the setup so the Heated gear is fused and switched separately so I don't ruin the Fuzeblock.

At any rate, given the bike only has 200 Watts to spare, am I confined to smart power management or is there another stator/regulator I should consider installing?

In looking through the forums this type of upgrade to the Gen II & III didn't seem to be addressed and folks only talked about using the digital volt meter to monitor the power system status. If I wanted to add any other electrical farkles I am passed maxed out, so I would like something that can get me more margin. If I missed a thread, please point me.

You need smart power management. Put an ammeter on the system to monitor actual power draw in real time. A voltmeter to monitor charging system health as well.

Make sure that your total maximum draw does not exceed the capacity of the Fuzeblock.

Some people have used an aftermarket high output stator such as Electrosport. Long term results have been uniformly bad.

Heated gear is seldom run at 100% and auxiliary lighting can be dimmed. GPS and phone chargers are relatively low power. Knowing (and monitoring) your current demand is the only way to run without the chance you will find yourself stranded at the side of the road on a cold day!

Last edited by a moderator:
I run my headlights on high beam during the daytime, but running yours on low would give you a little more breathing room too.

I run my headlights on high beam during the daytime, but running yours on low would give you a little more breathing room too.
There is little or no difference between low beam and high beam power requirement for a typical H4 incandescent bulb. (usually 55/60W)

Do you have a real problem or a potential problem? Do you really use all of them at full power at the same time?

Latest posts