Brasstown Bald Observatory - GA

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill Lumberg

Merica
Reaction score
Rode up to the highest point in Georgia early this morning, Brasstown Bald observatory. Route took me on part of Wolf Pen gap, and quite close to Helen (GA) and Robbinsville (NC). Temperatures around freezing all the way there, and the aerostich stayed on the entire time I was there. I was definitely the most oddly dressed at the visitors center. But then, I was the only one arriving on two wheels. If you are in the general area, its a must-visit. Not just because its the highest point, or because it has a classic mini museum, but because you must take some most excellent roads to get there. $5.00/head. Last mile from the parking area is shuttle or shoe leather.

Last edited by a moderator:
I rode up there last year as part of the Tour of Georgia. The local Cobra owners were having a get together that day...About thirty of the honking beasts, including one Coupe. Droooooolllllll.

Smugmug never displays the same twice. But here is a link to some pics. Let me know if the captions come up. I entered them but I cant see them when I go back in. On the pic through the shield, the observation tower is barely visible at the top of the screen.

https://Lumberg.smugmug.com

Been there many times. SWMBO and I hiked from the parking lot to the top once. I enjoyed that more than she did. Great views up there too. Hard to imagine it's in Georgia. If things go the way I hope, post retirement, we'll be living very close to Brasstown Bald. And that would be just dandy!

Heck, the Blairsville/Blue Ridge/Hiawassee/Ellijay area is so nice, Ive had guys I worked with from New York and Florida settle there after retiring or semi-retiring.