Wire Feed Welders

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fred W

1 Wheel Drive
FJR Supporter
Reaction score
Need some advice from folks that have been down this path already. As you will read, I know very little about welders, but want to learn.

I see those cheap ($100) AC-only Flux Core wire feed welders around (Harbor Freight and the big box stores), and after viewing videos online people appear to be able make some decent welds with them. But, I'm kind of anal about being neat, and the Flux Core welding, especially with AC, seems to spatter too much for my liking. Plus, I'd like to be able to do some fairly thin gauge steel now and then, so using gas shielding would seem to be in my future.

The obvious problem is that when you step up to a true MIG (or Multiprocess) welder the price tag goes up by at least a factor of 3. I also do not have a 220V feed to my garage, so for the light duty applications I'm anticipating, plus for portability and finding power on the road, if I can go with a 110V input that would be great.

So, I guess I'm looking for a good 110V MIG Welder that won't break the bank. Anyone have a unit they really like? Or maybe enough experience with the cheaper flux core welders to talk me out of spending over $300 on a MIG unit?

Last edited by a moderator:
My son has a 110 Lincoln I got him used for 150.00 and bought the gas conversion off ebay for around 50.00 and it's a nice little machine that will weld up to 1/4" no problem. The 110 units show up around here on craigs list pretty regular.I have a 220 Hobart unit with the bottle and IMHO a true MIG is the only way to go. If you do end up with flux core make sure you buy the best quality wire. The cheapo harbor freight stuff spatters like crazy.

I have two MIG welding machines; a large Lincoln power mig 255c for big stuff and a small Lincoln SP-125, both are hooked up to gas (C25; 75% Ar/25% CO2) and burn solid wire. The small one gets the most use. IMHO, get the best welder with gas that you can afford. You'll either upgrade later to a 220 volt machine or own it forever as they are really handy.

I agree with both of the previous two responses. You should be able to find a used, brand name welder with gas connection for 2-300 on Craigslist. Gas can be a pain but it's such a nice option. One note that might be of use to someone else - some of the 220V inverter machines like the one I have will run off 110. I've used it that way powered by a 2000W inverter generator.

My son has a 110 Lincoln I got him used for 150.00 and bought the gas conversion off ebay for around 50.00 and it's a nice little machine that will weld up to 1/4" no problem. The 110 units show up around here on craigs list pretty regular.I have a 220 Hobart unit with the bottle and IMHO a true MIG is the only way to go. If you do end up with flux core make sure you buy the best quality wire. The cheapo harbor freight stuff spatters like crazy.
Thanks Ray. I was hoping that you would respond. I had heard that about the cheap harbor freight wire, but also that the AC flux wire welders tend to do that more than the DC gas shielded ones. Something about polarizing the wire to negative is supposed to help? But just switching out the wire makes a big difference on the AC output ones.

I have two MIG welding machines; a large Lincoln power mig 255c for big stuff and a small Lincoln SP-125, both are hooked up to gas (C25; 75% Ar/25% CO2) and burn solid wire. The small one gets the most use. IMHO, get the best welder with gas that you can afford. You'll either upgrade later to a 220 volt machine or own it forever as they are really handy.
And thanks to you too, Gary. I know that you do a lot of fab work, so your experience s invaluable. I'll probably go with a good 110V unit to start and if my welding takes off I can always upgrade later, or as you guys mention, keep the little welder and just buy a 220V unit. I have a few ideas for fabrication that I want to do in my retirement (just to stay busy) and don't have any idea how involved I'll be getting at this point.

It sounds like my initial impression to go with a good, true MIG unit up front is a sound one. I''ll either have to scour the Cragslist or save my pennies. Lincoln seems to come up as the standard fairly often.

I agree with both of the previous two responses. You should be able to find a used, brand name welder with gas connection for 2-300 on Craigslist. Gas can be a pain but it's such a nice option. One note that might be of use to someone else - some of the 220V inverter machines like the one I have will run off 110. I've used it that way powered by a 2000W inverter generator.

I'll have to keep my eye out for these dual supply voltage units as that would be ideal.

Not that I am any expert but what type of projects to you have in mind?

I have a Lincoln 225 Precision Tig welder and have been considering getting a Mig welder also for the shop. I don't think I would go the all in one route. Another item on the wish list is a Plasma cutter also. That would be further down the road though. I have done some artistic stuff and would like to do some more when I retire. If you go to small unit it will over heat and shut down on you. Never mind if you think you might try aluminum welding. That takes a lot more power than welding steel.

Isn't your garage attached to the house? Assuming the Electrical panel has the capacity left for a couple of more breakers 220 shouldn't be an issue. I could help you out with that if needed. In my mind somewhere between $750 to $1K would be a good place to start if you decide to lay a bead for any amount of time. Your welcome to come try my Tig. The company sent me for a night time course a couple of years ago at the local Vocational High School. That's a good place to start and get some experience practicing and well worth the money. Although it didn't cost me a dime. I am also fortunate to have some really good welders that I work with and can give me guidance and suggestions when I ask them. One of them made custom railings for sail boats for a few years. We are talking Megga dollar boats not your 20 to 30 footers. The guy is a phenomenal welder.

Dave

I have three 110V wire machines; two are set up for core shield wire and one is set up for MIG. Two are Millers and one is a Hobart, so I don't have any experience with the HF or similar. The core shield welders can be picked up and carried to any location that can be reached with a 12 ga. cord and a 20 amp circuit, also no worries of having wind blow the gas shield away from the weld as with MIG. The Mig will make a prettier bead and is easier to use on thin materials, since there isn't the slag puddle you have with core shield. The last Miller I bought came with the solenoid for gas conversion; all I need to use it with gas is a regulator and gas bottle.. All three are currently set up for mild steel, but I have the necessary gear to convert the Hobart for stainless steel and aluminum.

Yeah, Dave, my garage is attached. Heck, man you've been there did you forget? My problem is I'm an electrical whore and have maxed out my 200 amp main panel and the sub panel I installed for the emergency generator too. I could probably find a way to pull a 220V run up to the garage, but it would get complicated. Plus I don't know for sure how long I want to stay here.

Interested that you went TIG first. I never even considered that. I know that is easier to do on light gauge stuff, but just the MIG/Flux units are far more prevalent.

Stuff I want to make in my retirement are related to building custom smokers (surprised?) There is a big shortage of quality built smokers up in the northeast, and I think I may have found a niche market that has not been saturated (yet).

I'll probably start off making vertical drum smokers from 55 gallon drums (I can get them for free) so light weight stuff for welding, but may want to evolve into the heavy duty horizontal offsets made from 1/4" steel. Now you know my weak assed business plan. Please don't share it with all the other needy retirees of New England!

Another item on the wish list is a Plasma cutter also.

I use mine a lot and because it just uses shop air I'm not wasting expensive gas in the torch. I bought a good sized one because at the time I was doing a lot of aluminum stuff. It will do 3/8 aluminum and up to 3/4 in steel.. Don't do much aluminum tig work anymore cause my pacemaker isn't fond of the hifreq.

I use a Lincoln 155 running on 240 . I use Lincoln flux core wire...different gauge can be used depending on the job...Clean spatter free welds result from proper amp and wire feed settings, Most of all, like the throttle on my '06, technique and practice is necessary..

I went with a TIG/ARC combo welder. IMO the most bang for the buck. TIG takes a fair bit of skill to learn; steady hand, good eyes, and the ability to feed the rod.

I am just finishing a TIG class that I took through my local community college.

If dialed in properly MIG is good, but not as clean as TIG.

None of the shielded gas welding is good outside. Wind can remove the shielding gas and compromise the weld.

ARC = Most versatile, medium learning curve.

MIG = Easy to learn and use

TIG = Cleanest, versatile, steep learning curve.

The cheapest easy to use welder I know of is a Harbor Freight Vulcan MIGMax™ 140 Welder SKU 63616. I don't know how long it will last but it welds nice with good wire on C25. I myself have a Miller 211 but you pay a higher price for those. Hobart Handlers are popular too.

Now that you have information from folks for welders next is the Helmet. You can spend anywhere from $79.00 to $1K for a welding helmet. The one I currently use cost me almost $400.00. It all adds up quick. Tiime to put together a business plan. LOL Good luck and you will need something to do when you retire for sure. Sounds like a good hobby to try out. "Uncle FREDS Smokers"

Geezzz I bet you didn't realize how much farkling you can do welding.

Dave

Now that you have information from folks for welders next is the Helmet. You can spend anywhere from $79.00 to $1K for a welding helmet. The one I currently use cost me almost $400.00. It all adds up quick. Tiime to put together a business plan. LOL Good luck and you will need something to do when you retire for sure. Sounds like a good hobby to try out. "Uncle FREDS Smokers"
Geezzz I bet you didn't realize how much farkling you can do welding.

Dave
My current helmet is the Harbor Freight Vulcan. Larger viewing area, easier to see with the hood down before striking the arc, highly adjustable. Very pleased with it.

https://www.harborfreight.com/arcsafe-auto-darkening-welding-helmet-63749.html

Thanks everyone, for all of the inputs. As is normally the case, this collective has a broad level of experience on nearly any topic of interest. I appreciate you all taking the time to share your experiences.

Fred, to clear up a spot in your breaker panel have you considered this option?

Place a tandem circuit breaker which gives you a double circuit breaker that takes up the space of a single circuit breaker on a panelboard. ... AKA called duplex, slimline, twin, half-height, half-inch, double and wafer breakers

It would allow you to free up a space to get your 220 to the garage.

I did a slightly larger 220 feed of ~50A 220, in town adding a small (16 spots for my install) panel in the garage for all of the extra circuits.

NBB

Thanks. Yeah I'm aware of those breakers. I'm still going to try going with a 110V welder for a few reasons, but if I find I need more a powerful one in the future I could do something like that.

Another quick question for the collective: I did not see anyone mention the Eastwood brand of welders. Looking at their MIG 135 in particular. They seem to be a bit less expensive than the Lincolns or Hobarts, but it appears that you have to buy them direct from the manufacturer. Not sure what's up with that.

A few people have mentioned buying a used welder. If you know enough about them to understand if it is in good shape by looking it over, a used one will serve you well until you get some experience and then decide on how much welder you really need.