Looking for purchase advice

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ken_SWOhio

Reaction score
Hi -

Im thinking of getting back into FJR1300 ownership - had a 2010 I sold a few years ago. Choice is between a 15 and 16.

I saw an earlier thread where the choice was between a 14 and 16 but, just in case someone has something to add -

Questions are:

1. Does the ES version make a significant difference to a reasonably proficient but not expert rider like myself who will use it mainly for commuting and an annual trip to Deals Gap, as well as occasional trips through local twisties?

2. The new transmission for 16 - is it a big improvement from 15 because of the different gear ratios, refinement (I recall my 10 was a bit clunky in either 1st or 2nd), and the addition of a sixth gear?

3. Any concerns about buying a new bike which has been sitting for a couple of years?

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
1. Does the ES version make a significant difference to a reasonably proficient but not expert rider like myself who will use it mainly for commuting and an annual trip to Deals Gap, as well as occasional trips through local twisties?

A: Yes. I thought the ES was a gimmick until I started playing around with it. Set it on soft for the interstate transits, then harden up when I get to where I was headed. While you can do that without the ES, it's easy and quick with it. I make a lot of adjustments now, occasionally during my 30-minute commute.

2. The new transmission for 16 - is it a big improvement from 15 because of the different gear ratios, refinement (I recall my 10 was a bit clunky in either 1st or 2nd), and the addition of a sixth gear?

A: Don't know, because I ride a 2015. I can't imagine sixth gear would make a difference for me, unless it significantly improved highway gas mileage. Of course, with only 5 speeds, my shift lever gets a lot fewer actions and my left ankle does not get overworked.

3. Any concerns about buying a new bike which has been sitting for a couple of years?

A: No. Change your tires and fluids as quickly as possible, but otherwise she'll be fine. Check on warranty balance and any YES (Yamaha Extended Service) contract remaining.

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

My 2015 has a little over 56,000 miles and has never done me wrong. You'll probably get a killer deal on a leftover 2015, especially in December in Ohio. Pocket your savings and spend it on gas for coming to EOM or NAFO.

PS: If no posts show up, make sure you have selected the "show all" option under Custom:

39057270971_73b64e10d0_o.jpg

I've had 5 FJR's (4,6,7,13,16) and the 16es is the best by far. The sixth gear is a nice addition when on the highway. I wouldn't worry about buying a leftover as long as the orginal warranty is in place. I bought my 16 as a leftover last December and got a great deal.

I can't testify to long term use, but in the test ride I took earlier this year on a '17ES, I'd say its the silkiness of the transmission that stood out the most to me. They never let us stretch out to get even above 3rd gear (guided rides suck) but that's what I thought as the most "new".

My '08 is quite clunky into first, and from first to second (please no suggestions for different oil!) and the '17 didn't exhibit any of that. Could be the difference between 40k miles and brand new I suppose.

As of now, for me any replacement FJR will be an ES, '16 or newer to get the LED and cornering lights as well as the 6 speed tranny. My only small complaint is that I believe the new gearbox actually has a taller 1st gear which if true makes no sense especially now that there's an extra cog at the top. It did seem to take more clutch feathering to get away from a stop.

Can I rant though overall? Why do so many of the sport tourers and naked bikes have to use the super close ratio gear boxes of the supersports? Do I need a 1st gear that can get me to 60-80mph but needs a lot clutch work to get away from a stoplight, and then winds its way to 5000 RPM at reasonable freeway cruising speed in top gear?

I'd like a lower 1st, wider spacing overall, then a real tall 6th (or 5th even!) that drives the bike at 80mph at no more than 3000rpm.

Rant over....

Thanks, all - appreciate the help. Remarks are pretty consistent with what Ive read elsewhere but I wanted to check. Now to consider what to do ...

For what it's worth, I bought a new 2012 in late 2014. I did not change tires or oil (maybe I should have) and I followed the Yamaha recommended break in procedures. I've had no issues with the bike. None. I take that back. The dealer's service department did not tighten the pinch bolts on the front axle sprocket nor did they torque the steering column nut. I mean I looked down one day and the pinch bolts were about to fall out. Probably lucky I'm still here. Things to consider: It's been setting on the showroom floor approximately 2 years so they should be willing to deal and discount heavily. Also, work the YES warranty into the deal. I got it thrown in for free after the deal was made and since the bike was new (never titled) the warranty started on the date of purchase. I am riding a 2012 that still has 2 years of factory warranty left on it.
smile.png

Having put a fair amount of miles on both an '06 and '16ES I can honestly say the electronic adjustable suspension is well worth the cost. The six speed is great on the interstate but you do have to shift a lot more. for me it's a push.

You won't go wrong with either year, so I'd let my wallet and the available deal(s) choose the ride. I gotta agree with the collective regarding the 6-speed transmission. Shifting quality is excellent and a nice improvement over prior years.

YMMV

--G

i had ak20 and a penske 8983 on my c14 before getting the 16ES. (fork fluid changed every 20k, shock sent to traxxion every 40k on the c14)
i have no regrets getting the es vs the a, but i live in an area with beat up roads. i change on the fly all the time. from my soft med and hard settings.
i have changed say hard +1 to hard +2 on the side of the road and felt the change for the condition i was chasing.

i was in the same boat, a with suspension or the es, the es has been a pleasure being able take suspension out on the fly, or adding it in in a few seconds.
hope this helps.

Thanks, all - appreciate the help. Remarks are pretty consistent with what Ive read elsewhere but I wanted to check. Now to consider what to do ...
Depending on our budget, you may want to keep an eye on a 2017 carry over. When buying a new bike, the latest model will give you more value and the latest improvements. It appears however the 16,17, and 18 are pretty much the same bike in different colors. Go for the ES, you will not regret it!!!

Also the 16 is "suppose" to have a lighter clutch pull and slipper clutch. I have a 14 ES. ES is nice if you do very different riding like between interstates and back hard twisty. For commuting I keep it in the middle. Interstates over 30 mins it's of soft, back twisty when I pushing it, it's on hard. ES is also good to switch between 1 & 2 up if you do that a lot.