Black Hills Roundup II DakAL/FODS planning and discussion

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Abercrombie FJR

Reaction score
I just thought I would open up an auxiliary thread to plan and discuss the dual sport riding portion of bigjohnsd's Black HIlls Roundup II without highjacking the main Black Hills Roundup and signup pages with dirty talk.

It sounds like MR Bill and Russperry are interested in riding the whole DakAL while sleeping under the stars. Mr Bill mentioned possibly taking off Tuesday morning and with a four day DakAL schedule that would bring him back to Spearfish on Friday. If that's what other want to do, I'm in but I would also be in for a Monday morning DakAL launch returning Thursday to leave two days of pavement riding Friday and Saturday with the rest of the hooligans that show up.

Others have mentioned riding a couple days dirt and a couple days of pavement. They could take a two day loop around the North half or South half of the DakAL if they want or join up with the final two days of those riding the whole route. Another option is just spend a day or two riding the extensive Black Hills trail system.

Bikes will be required to have a Black Hills National Forest Trail Permit.(cost is $25) They can be purchased at the Spearfish forest service office or
Trail permits may be ordered on-line at :
https://www.blackhillsparks.org/black-hi ... l-permits/

Last September I rode a modified Dakal over 6 days with a group of 12 from Glacial Lakes Motorcycle Club GMLC.ORG. Since I was following tracks on a GPS I don't know how much our ride was modified from the original DakAL route. I think the modifications I rode included a lot of gravel roads and pavement so I'm sort of anxious to go back and ride the full DakAL the way it was originally created.

For those that want to ride the whole DakAL you could start on section three in Spearfish Monday or Tuesday so we would end at rally head quarters in Spearfish Thursday or Friday. A four day schedule of hard riding with not much flower sniffing would start you out on Section three.

Day 1 Section 3 – Spearfish to Buffalo - 223 miles

Gas, Food, Lodging: Lots of choices in Belle Fourche. Camp Crook has two cafes. Camp Crook Central Store has close as of May 2015 and no gas is available. DakAL route distance between Belle Fourche and Buffalo is 205 miles. You may need to carry extra gas. No lodging in Camp Crook. One motel (Tipperary Lodge Motel), high octane gas, and one cafe/bar available in Buffalo. There is a free public campsite in downtown Buffalo.

Special Places: Geographic center of the nation, Bakken Oil Fields, Custer National Forest.

Tips: Lots of cool, dispersed camping locations in North or South Cave Hills. One free, public campground in the North Cave Hills (Picnic Springs).

On the east side of the South Cave Hills, the route makes a loop. Suggest you ride this loop clockwise. There is one steep, single track down hill that can be a challenge. It is only about 100 yards. You may want to walk it prior to riding this section. If it looks spooky, turn around and ride back out.

Day 2 Section 4 - Buffalo to Hill City - 205 miles

Gas, Food & Lodging: Gas and snacks are available at Hoover Store. Newell has gas and food. Sturgis has many choices. Nemo has food, gas and cabins.

Special places: Slim Buttes Battle Field, Bear Butte State Park, Legendary Buffalo Chip Campground, Full Throttle Saloon, Sturgis Motorcyle Museum and Hall of Fame, Ft. Meade, Black Hills National Cemetery.

For those that only want to ride two days, they could meet up with us Wednesday or Thursday morning depending on which day we start, in Hill City or our Camping location near by and join us for Days three and four.

Day 3 Section 1- Hill City to Hot Springs - 233 miles

Gas, food and lodging: The only supply option for this entire section is Edgemont, SD. Edgemont has two restaurants on Main Street, two gas stations slightly out of town on the main highway and one very basic motel.

Special places: Black Hills National Forest, Bear Mountain, Jewel Cave National Monument, Crazy Horse Memorial, Ft. Igloo, Black Hills Wild Horse Sanctuary, Buffalo Gap National Grasslands, Cheyenne River crossing, Mammoth Site.

Tip: When you ride the bridge over the Cheyenne River entering Edgemont, observe the water level. Later in the day the route will take you through the river. If the river is moving fast with a milky white or brown color, then the river crossing will generally be impassable. DO NOT cross the river with rapid flowing water! The river will be impassable about 30% of the time.

Day 4 Section 2- Hot Springs to Spearfish - 220 miles

Gas, Lodging & Food: Hill City has many choices. Trailshead Lodge has gas, food and cabins. Spearfish Canyon Lodge, at Savoy, has high octane gas, good food and spectacular lodging. The lodge is highly recommended. DakAL route distance from Hill City to Spearfish Canyon Lodge is 105 miles.

Special places: Wind Cave National Park, Custer State Park, Needles Highway, Iron Mountain Rd, Mt Rushmore, Cement Ridge Lookout, Spearfish Canyon, Roughlock Falls, Spearfish Falls, Bridal Veil Falls

Last edited by a moderator:
This event does have a lot of different threads.

I can make Monday departure work. If we can get the start date agreed on maybe CJ can put in for time off and share the drive out there with me again.

Last years FODS in Colorado we shared driving my pickup with the dirty bikes loaded switching drivers every four hours and kept the wheels rolling. Not doing that again because I couldn't sleep with CJ's NASCAR technique. Poor CJ had to listen to Mr Bills truck driving school all the way across the country:)

Thanks for taking the lead on this Kevin, I'll join you for two days early in the week, whichever days you choose to ride.

I think the Original DAKAL Loop includes a lot of Gravel/two track County/Township Roads, especially as you get North of the Black Hills, as that is all there is in the NW corner of the state.

Bump!

So far it looks like myself, Mr Bill, russperry, and possibly Extrememarine are interested in riding the whole DakAL from Tuesday to Friday with bigjohnsd possibly joining us the first two days from Spearfish to Buffalo and back.

If you don't want to ride the whole four days, join up with us for the third and the fourth days ride on Thursday and Friday riding the southern loop of the DakAL. We'll ride from Spearfish or possibly Hill City down to Hot Springs where we will either camp or find a hotel, and Friday we will work our way back to Spearfish to join up with the rest of the hooligans for a few cold ones and telling lies.

I'm gonna have to make some arrangements due to the length of the first leg and what sounds to be a scarcity of fuel. My 690R has a range of a little more than 100 miles in it's stock form. I've got a Rotopax mount that I was planning on holding a gallon each of fuel and water, but even that makes the first day too long without refueling.

So now I'm gonna bite the bullet and install the Rade Garage internal fuel tank - holds 1.6 gallons bringing the total internal fuel load to 4.3 gallons, and actually might make the Rotopax unnecessary which frees up some deck space on the rear of the bike.

So what's the actual date you guys wants to start out? From the PM it looks like we're talking about starting on Tuesday the 26th, finishing up back in Spearfish on Friday the 29th. For me that means starting out from Cali on Saturday to arrive in Spearfish by Monday afternoon, then pulling out on either Saturday the 30th or Sunday the 1st, depending on my mood :)

We (Rick, a buddy of mine that has attended a few forum events but is not a member of the electronic world) are planning on riding some of this. We will be trailering the (4) bikes to Spearfish, he's on a Tiger 800 and I just acquired an Africa Twin. Been a LONG time since I have been off road and will be taking a class prior to riding this. Life has diminished my riding time, but I plan on getting out there as much as I can before we head East. That being said, I will still be pretty noobish on the trail, so if you want to join us, it might be a somewhat slower pace. At the moment, we are planning on hitting Spearfish Sunday, and riding Monday to Probably Wed, maybe Thursday. May be camping, may not. have not planned that far out yet. The CFO's will be flying in to Rapid City at some point and we will pick them up and finish the week on the FJR's.

Of course, at this point, all of this is subject to change.

Greg

I'm gonna have to make some arrangements due to the length of the first leg and what sounds to be a scarcity of fuel. My 690R has a range of a little more than 100 miles in it's stock form. I've got a Rotopax mount that I was planning on holding a gallon each of fuel and water, but even that makes the first day too long without refueling.
So now I'm gonna bite the bullet and install the Rade Garage internal fuel tank - holds 1.6 gallons bringing the total internal fuel load to 4.3 gallons, and actually might make the Rotopax unnecessary which frees up some deck space on the rear of the bike.

So what's the actual date you guys wants to start out? From the PM it looks like we're talking about starting on Tuesday the 26th, finishing up back in Spearfish on Friday the 29th. For me that means starting out from Cali on Saturday to arrive in Spearfish by Monday afternoon, then pulling out on either Saturday the 30th or Sunday the 1st, depending on my mood
smile.png
Yes you have the dates correct.

20620925_288558884945101_6979561790909882509_n.jpg

So what's the actual date you guys wants to start out? From the PM it looks like we're talking about starting on Tuesday the 26th, finishing up back in Spearfish on Friday the 29th. For me that means starting out from Cali on Saturday to arrive in Spearfish by Monday afternoon, then pulling out on either Saturday the 30th or Sunday the 1st, depending on my mood
smile.png
I just pulled in from returning from riding the Tenere around Baja California so now its time to start planning the June Dakal ride. When I rode the Dakal last fall we had a couple wives meet us at Camp Cook for a fuel top off, which is around half way between Spearfish and the North end of the first couple days. As I come down from North Dakota maybe I could stow a gas can or two near Camp Cook so we could top of gas half way through the first day. I was going to ride my XR650L on this ride but yesterday while returning from Baja I fell in love with a Beta 500 RRS in Loveland CO and it became a stow away in the back of the trailer with my Tenere and Johns KLR. I'll have a larger fuel tank on it by June but I will likely need more than four gallons also. We'll figure something out now that I can focus on this ride.

How is that Panhead doing Ray?
Still waiting for some engine parts . I have a huge order for parts but am waiting for the final bill on the engine. It needed a lot of stuff that I couldn't handle and It's in line behind Carver's R69S which is also waiting for a parts injection. I have Panhead parts ready for paint but the owner can't make up his mind on colors and the painter just had shoulder surgery.

Life can't get much better can it? Old Motorcycles, Old Men & Old Parts. Shite Ray, you in Hog Heaven with the Bring My Wallet crowd. Damm Jealous I am!
smile.png

How is that Panhead doing Ray?
Still waiting for some engine parts . I have a huge order for parts but am waiting for the final bill on the engine. It needed a lot of stuff that I couldn't handle and It's in line behind Carver's R69S which is also waiting for a parts injection. I have Panhead parts ready for paint but the owner can't make up his mind on colors and the painter just had shoulder surgery.
Ray, let me know if you need me to do some painting for you.

Carl

Mr Bill, you sound like nascar style driving is a bad thing!! Minus all the road debris getting kicked up, insufficient stopping space, and the pucker factor, just think of the fuel savings I helped you with by drafting those big rigs!! And you just thought she was a sipper, ohhhh please!

Nice shot of you with the water crossing, by the way. Perhaps you should get that put on a coffee mug someday?! :)