Baja in February

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigjohnsd

2021 BMW R1250GSA
Reaction score
FrankD and I are planning a little jaunt in late February. Looks like the two guys I went to Alaska with will join us. Hoping a couple of the inmates here will come as well.

Baja%202018%20Route%202-L.jpg

SPOT Link: https://spotwalla.com/tripViewer.php?id=1783a5a666801868fd&hoursPast=0&showAll=yes

Last edited by a moderator:
Frank D BMW GS650 Dakar
BigJohnSD KLR 685 with Suspension Upgrades
AbercrombieFJR Yamaha S10
Guy #1 BMW GSA 1200
Guy#2 Buell Ulysses

Frank D BMW GS650 DakarBigJohnSD KLR 685 with Suspension Upgrades

Guy #1 BMW GSA 1200

Guy#2 A fricking Buell Ulysses

Other Inmates here: GSA 1200 and XR650L or S10
Moosehead Mike and I did the Baja on our FJRs in 2013. one of my most favorite trips ever.

I ran this ride past the war department last night. I have a couple more things to check on but this ride is looking very favorable and Ill give you the thumbs up or down tomorrow. I'll also have to come up with excuses why I didn't swing by to see my sister in Ladera Ranch 107 miles North of Tecate.
fool.gif

Just inspected the Tenere tires and they look like they have enough miles left on them but I'm not risking a possible once in a lifetime trip like this worrying about tires. New tires will be on my door step next week. Merry Christmas to me!

Frank D BMW GS650 DakarBigJohnSD KLR 685 with Suspension Upgrades

Guy #1 BMW GSA 1200

Guy#2 A fricking Buell Ulysses

Other Inmates here: GSA 1200 and XR650L or S10
Good choices. The "road" can be challenging in spots. It looks like you might be doing 3 as part of the ride, which is dirt.

John, I won't be able to join you, but if in your travels you (or the group) need a place to stay and are in my area, you are more than welcome.

John

John, I won't be able to join you, but if in your travels you (or the group) need a place to stay and are in my area, you are more than welcome.
John
Sorry you can't come, John,

Don't think we will make it far enough North and West for a visit this trip.

John
Sorry you can't come, John,

Don't think we will make it far enough North and West for a visit this trip.
I understand, just saying the room is always open for you if you need it.

I got the piston, cylinder and cylinder head put back on the KLR in preparation for the Mid-February Baja Adventure Discovery ride. Should finish it up tomorrow them it will be a wait for a window of opportunity to put a few test miles on the Blue Beast before Abercrombie FOR arrives to pick me up on February 15th.

I've been trying to work out this trip on street bikes for a couple of years now- I had it all dialed in 2 years ago and my buddy bailed on it a month out, when his wife was told by her friends (who have never been there) that Mexico is dangerous. Any time he brought it up after that point, she started crying.
fpalm.gif

I'm hoping to put it together for this fall, but I have Montrose Colorado in June and I'm not quite as retired as you guys. 2 more years on that.

Don't use an ATM more than needed, even inside a hotel or bank. This is a good read I found a few days ago about ATM skimming and scamming.

https://krebsonsecurity.com/2015/09/tracking-a-bluetooth-skimmer-gang-in-mexico/

I'm jealous. Hope you all have a great time. My favorite moto trip of all time was taking 11 days to ride down to Cabo San Lucas and back with beemerdons and two others way back in 2004.

I'm jealous. Hope you all have a great time. My favorite moto trip of all time was taking 11 days to ride down to Cabo San Lucas and back with beemerdons and two others way back in 2004.
Well don't be jealous. I'll have an empty spot in the trailer for your adventure bike and we'll be coming right through Phoenix. We'll slow it down to 10 mph while you jump in.
smile.png

Just fired up the Blue Beast after completing the 685 cc upgrade. All looks well, no noises, leaks or extra parts. New LEX pipe sounds great too. I just need a few days of sunshine to clear the roads so I can do little break in and test the new 320 mm front Brake Rotor. All that is left is to install the new Shinko 705 year tire.

Latest posts