Thinking of selling; price check please

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mad German

Reaction score
I’m considering selling my FJR; 2008 with 16,000 miles on her. Great shape, well maintained, OEM saddlebags & top case, Givi SR357 rack, Garauld Stiffy kit, a few different windscreens. I just don’t have the time to ride as much as I’d like, plus I have other interests as well. I was thinking of asking $6000. Am I in the right ballpark with my price? Bike is located in St. Louis, MO.

Not in Mo, but from what I've seen in Ca and around the country you are in the outfield end of the ballpark. You might try asking just a hair under $6 and prepare to concede several hundred in a negotiation. It sounds like your bike is desirable enough to draw a perspective buyer to look at yours over other bikes (low miles, farkles), but that buyer will likely expect a concession in price, given that GenIII bikes pop up with asking prices between $6k-$7k. I might list at 6 for a couple weeks, then drop to $5800. I think a realistic expectation is closer to 5k. Ymmv.

I just got a 07 with 19K miles, good engine and cosmetic condition (no top case) 4K a couple of months ago, really like the bike, but some bad deals with other members of this site when making a accessory purchase, TWO FLAT tires (nail on front and small cut on rear) in two different trips with the bike, and a dead battery on a cold morning (27F). are making me regret the purchase.

Anyway, for comparison, one year older, almost same mileage and 2K lower. my guess, you can get around 4700 - 5200 for it... many FJRs on sale if you can wait, bad for seller

Around here a dealer would probably ask $6k and take $5200. A private seller would probably be sub $5k. That bike is 10 years old now. Yeah, I know ... its barely broken in. But its harder to finance stuff thats 10 years old, and a lot of potential buyers cant come up with the cash that the bike might seem to be worth.

I looked at an 08 today. Okay cosmetics, 59k, top case, and some small accessories. Dealer opened at 4995 and I’m certain he would go quite a bit lower. Your low miles/accessories should attract a buyer. I’d start at 6k this early in the season and be ready to reduce if need be.

Being what the used market is, couple questions for the OP to consider before giving your FJR away...

Are you done with riding?

Do you need the $$$ to pursue those "other interests"?

If the answer to both questions is no, keep the bike and enjoy it when you can. In the next year or two, you're only going to be out lite maintenance, tags and insurance.

Just my $.02

--G

I'm also looking to sell my 2008 but I have closer to 88K miles on mine. I was hoping to get close to $5000, but now I'm worried I'm too high. Maybe I can extol the virtues of the McCruise that is installed...

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm also looking to sell my 2008 but I have closer to 88K miles on mine. I was hoping to get close to $5000, but now I'm worried I'm too high. Maybe I can extol the virtues of the McCruise that is installed...
I have a 09 with 86k miles. My 09 is worthless in dollar value but if I put 70k more on it it is priceless to me. In other words those 70k future miles come at a very low cost.

Chazglenn3 and I are in the same bucket. The bucket is more than half full if we keep the old FJR.

I would also have to agree with what Escapefjrtist and Fontanaman are saying.

Mine is a 05 with almost 50'000 miles on it.
I have been it's carer for almost 5 years which I know is still very low milage for it's age.

In money terms I'd probably be very lucky to get 5k for mine but in terms of value to me and in what accessories I have on the bike, it's value to me is much higher. If you can afford to keep it,then do try.

Just under 40K on my '09. I've thought about selling it and buying a Gen III but just can't justify the expense. I have a KFG tweaked front end that I really like, a Gen III Shock installed and a few electrical tweaks. Had the rear luggage repainted by Garuald, beautifully done, and I don't think I will be riding more than a couple of more years. Very low maintenance expense, no loan payments. New FJR just doesn't make it for me.

I'm in the same boat as may others on here: 93K on my '08, runs like a top. Should cross the 100K mark this summer, then value to anyone else will be ≈ 0. I bought it brand new and will depreciate it completely. An '08 with low mileage like OP's bike is a tremendous value for someone, as it probably is worth 6K or less as he's estimating. We're also getting to that 10 year old mark which doesn't help. As neat as the new ones are, I think a low mileage Gen II would be my choice of replacement.

I bought my 2011 in August. He was asking $6000 in Phoenix, and I offered $5000. He accepted and I drove down and rode it home to Las Vegas.
It had 44,000 miles, fairly new PR3 tires, stock pipes, no rear trunk, and the right side lower saddlebag was sprayed primer gray. The right fairing also had evidence of repair, and the glove box was taped shut because the latch was broken. (I put a magnetic cabinet latch on it, no more electronic switch)

FJR1300.jpg

After I got it home and started modding, I installed a SHAD rack and rear box. When removing the OEM plastic rack, I discovered it was completely broken on both sides at the mount points. I felt like I could take the good price with the minor defects, and I'm pretty happy with it.

SHAD 48 and 2 Brothers pipes added. I have Color Rite paint for the saddlebag, but haven't gotten to it just yet with the new (and needy) FZ1 in the garage.

20170921_094740.jpg

Rifle +5 windshield, Seat Concepts and body stripes added as well as reflective stripes on the wheels. Bags and trunk off the bike for the first time ever- I didn't notice any difference in mileage or handling on this 350 mile trip last weekend. I did fire up the grip warmers for the first time as temps dropped into the low 40's on our way home.

Calientee_FJR1300.jpg

New stablemate, 2001 FZ1.

20180101_103300.jpg

Hey, I had a 2001 FZ1 just like that. What a joy that bike was to ride. Made my first cross country trip, Ohio to California and back on mine. Fast and comfortable.

Thx for the input guys. I'm going to ask $5,500 and go from there. After I get it inspected and some decent pictures taken, I'll put it up for sale here. (I still need to figure out the voodoo that allows me to post pics, LOL!)

In the meantime, if you are interested, or know anyone who might be, please feel free to let me know.

Cheers!

Yeah, I decided that I would not be able to get $5000 for mine so I'm keeping it. You have much lower mileage than I do so $5500 is probably right there.
Thanks for the info. I'll see how it goes. I have no idea what the market is like for pre-owned FJRs. I'll advertise it here and on the other FJR forum, as well as on Facebook, Craigslist and Cycle Trader. Any other places/methods you guys can recommend?

The good news is that depreciation is logarithmic. The bad news is the good part of that curve is when your bike is worth nearly nothing. Take some comfort in knowing it could have been a car with a starting price of 4 or more times greater.