Replacing ABS pump 2004

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PJ4863

Reaction score
Ok, I'm getting ready to replace my ABS pump on my 2004. Is there a recommended bench bleed procedure for the pump? Or just connect it into the brake system and bleed as normal? I've looked in my FSM and it doesn't mention anything other than bleed away.

(Otherwise, this looks fairly straight forward procedure?)

PJ

Just make sure, if you still have factory brake lines, that you get the Yellow and Blue dots back in the correct location on the Hydraulic unit. My after market lines had no such marks and caused a great deal of trouble. I looking on page 35, Figure B, items B & C. of the Supplemental Service Manual for the 2005 ABS system, LIT-11616-FJ-02.

Thanks for the hints :) little worried at creating a bike with no abs to a bike with no brakes at all! I'll keep the lines and what not straight:)

I'll take pics too :) we shall see how it goes. The biggest thing I think will be finding a back up pump. I aquired one, but there's no true bench test for it without installing it first.

Calm down Gomer, these things take time!

drag.gif

Apparently I'm on a different time than you guys :) be patient! When it's warm enough to pick up a wrench without it sticking to bare skin.. I'm all over this. New battery has to go in too, so voltage is enough. I've been procrastinating a new battery for awhile.. I'm almost there :)

Couple that with all my household company just left so now I can work in peace :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok

PJ4863It's obvious you need some tough love.

#1. Never have Bustanut come to your defense. It makes you look gurly gurl like Bust..
rolleyes.gif

#2. Never have company for more than 2 nights. Bust kicked me outta his house after one night. And his dog shit the bed I slept in too. JSNS!

#3. If you move the bike into the living room you'll have plenty of heat and light to work. Don't mind the divorce.
no.gif

You are welcome, and that is all for now..

(hope you have a sense of humor, if not, apologies in advance!)

One may question of what you did or didn't do that bust kicked you out of his bed :)

No worries here.

I was going to bring the bike in, but couldn't fit it through the door.

In a week or two is my plan. I'm on a long stretch with work this week, then I'm good for a few days :)

Aggghhh.. Didn't take pictures, there wasn't anything worth to take a picture of yet. And now i'm struggling to find the ABS test procedure.

All right, so here's my after action report. Even though it appears that you have to remove all the plastic and the tray under the seat, i was actually able to pull put the old pump, by loosening the bracket that bolts under the frame (a pic here would of helped!) And then leveraging the outer mount off and then the pump popped right out. Simplely bolted up the old hoses to the new block, reinstalled and bled the brakes. Once i did all the bleeding, i ran the ABS diagnostic, worked as advertised, and then rebled the brakes again. All worked as advertised, so reinstalled the plastic and then enjoyed a cold one!

Well, you get A+ for fixing the problem and an F- for documentation... Still, you're ride is healthy again so you be the winner! Congrats doode..
punk.gif

Im just happy the new old block wasnt frozen too. :) now to install a test switch so i can do the abs maintainance easily!