What Service Manual?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

exo55c

Reaction score
OK....Let me try this again. New owner here of a Gen 2 and I'm interested in your opinions about the factory-authorized manual vs. 3rd party publications. I prefer lots of illustrations, photos, etc. in a manul but correct specs and instructions are equally important.

I haven't used the Haynes but it seems like the OEM service manual (FSM) is preferred by most; at least around here. The OEM manual doesn't have photos but diagrams are pretty decent. I sometimes find myself using the exploded diagrams in on-line parts fiches to get a better idea how something goes together. If there is an easy way and a hard way to do something, the FSM inevitably chooses the hard way.

I have not heard of a Clymer manual for the FJR so I think that the Haynes is the only other game in town.

Last edited by a moderator:
Personally, I have used both over the years for various bikes. For the FJR, the factory manuals have served me well.

I just received the most recent for my soon to arrive 2018.

Canadian FJR

I ran across a company called xxxxx. I do not know anything about them but their products are sold on xxxx. Their website is here: xxxxx

I like the FSM. That is what I use. You cannot go wrong with the real deal.

I ran across a company called xxxxx. I do not know anything about them but their products are sold on xxxx. Their website is here: xxxxx

I like the looks of this e-manual. Searchable, printable pages, good illustrations. But ya gotta wonder about the completeness of FJR knowledge and specs....and only $14.00?
nea.gif

Haynes has photos. While accurate, they are black and white, and the quality is adequate rather than good. I sometimes find difficulty in knowing exactly what the photo is showing, but that's probably just me.

Haynes does give some ways round special tools which can help the home mechanic, and does give step-by-step procedures for things like removing panels.

I find the electrical diagrams in the Haynes manual to be much easier to follow than the factory manual.

Haynes tells you nothing useful about clearing error codes and the like, and for quite a few jobs refers you to your dealer, many of which I've "seen" people on this forum doing.

Personally, I like both varieties on hand.

Caveat: I've never gone deep into the bowels of the mechanicals.

I ran across a company called xxxxxx. I do not know anything about them but their products are sold on xxxxxx. Their website is here: xxxxx
I like the FSM.
The pictures on the site are NOT for the FJR so I have no idea what it would look like for this bike. Given the price and the fact that nobody has ever really heard of them, I strongly suspect that this is another rip-off of the OEM or the Haynes manuals. (lots out there!)

If anyone has one of these and it is a legal original manual instead of a copyright infringement, please post some information. I would be interested in an alternate (legitimate) source of maintenance information.

I ran across a company called xxxxxxx. I do not know anything about them but their products are sold on xxxxx. Their website is here: xxxxxxxx
I like the FSM.
The pictures on the site are NOT for the FJR so I have no idea what it would look like for this bike. Given the price and the fact that nobody has ever really heard of them, I strongly suspect that this is another rip-off of the OEM or the Haynes manuals. (lots out there!)

If anyone has one of these and it is a legal original manual instead of a copyright infringement, please post some information. I would be interested in an alternate (legitimate) source of maintenance information.
Yep. another copyright infringer! Thanks for the reminder.

Folks, we're just not gonna poke Yamaha in the eye on this forum. We've been clear about this for years. You want to cheap out or go around Yamaha...you and your karma are yours to decide, but don't do it here.

Thanks.

The Management

When I got my '05 FJR several years ago, I crossed this bridge as well.... but I like to have a printed version so I just bought a genuine service manual from here:

https://www.yamahapubs.com/

Yes, it was expensive at $93.00 +tax and shipping but I'm glad I got it.

It's a big thick book and loaded with lots of technical stuff for ABS and Fuel injection which I'll probably never use but still has all the basics I wanted.

Regards,

Mr. BR

My bike came with the FSM - it had never been opened. I have used it so much the spine has broken. I am moving it to a binder next. It's a great resource.

In my case the FSM also has Canada specific information that isn't available in the USA version (or online copies). Information on the immobilizer has been extremely useful.

Thanks for all your thoughts. I also own a FZ6 and old Honda Magna (restoration project) and have always relied on forums like this and their tribal knowledge to keep my bikes on the road.

I'm with mcatrophy on this one, I like having both on hand. Sometimes for a certain problem one is better than the other, this swapping back and forth seemingly each time you work on something.

Why do people always seem to think it has to be either/or? Buy both, you won't regret it.

FSM and the most excellent information available here from some of the most unselfish people I have ever had the pleasure of associating with!

Does anyone have a link for the Canadian version of the FSM?
Talk to your local dealer. He should be able to order it for you.

Differences between US bikes and Canadian bikes are not huge so you could get a US one if it is cheaper. Mostly the immobilizer.