Who for Suspension?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lunch truck larry

Reaction score
2007 ,25000k.. Front forks upgrade .Can you guys recommend the "go to " shop for this upgrade . ( It's worth the money ,right ? ..

Planning on keeping it for a while).

The [new] GP Suspension has been a friend of the forum from way back. Use their valves and upgraded springs in the forks with your choice of shock and you'll have a terrific package.

My GP forked, Penske equipped '15 works very well.

--G

Jamie Dautherty at DMr has done a good job for me without charging an arm and a leg.

But I've never talked to TraXXion without being taken care of either.

I think both Traxxion and GP do the job well. I'd pick the one that's the closest, and if possible do a ride in.

I think both Traxxion and GP do the job well. I'd pick the one that's the closest, and if possible do a ride in.
This ^^^

In 2006, I had Traxxion Dynamics rebuild the forks with their AK-20 set-up on my 2nd Honda CBR1100XX Blackbird at 3,500 miles, with a Penske on the rear. Excellent suspension.

In 2010, I did a ride-in to GP Suspension on my FJR at ~ 35,000 miles to have them rebuild the front suspension (revalve, re-spring and adjust spacer length for preload) and to rebuild and re-spring the Wilburs rear shock. Result was beyond expectations.

Before the GP rebuild, I had clearance issues with the FJR suspension compressing enough mid-corner to scrape the Muzzy 4-2-1 exhaust collector when it bottomed out the Wilburs rear spring. (At 5,000 miles, I had installed stiffer than OEM front & rear springs and Wilburs shock).

While replacing the front and rear springs, the GP tech explained that FJRs were notoriously undersprung (esp in the rear and even aftermarket) and dialed everything in, all the while explaining what he was doing and why (the ride-in was well worth the money). The result was almost unbelievable. It actually felt (1 and 2 up) like there were fewer jarring shocks (plusher?) while being firmer and more planted when pushed hard in sweepers and hard side to slide twisties. That was 2010, and I have never since scraped the Muzzy collector.

Either Traxxion or GP can fix your rear suspension just by giving you the correctly sprung and damped Penske or Ohlins rear shock. And both will get your front forks right with their own magic.

Last edited by a moderator:
I did the fork revalving myself on my old 1st gen, using GP valve internals. It wasn’t too bad of a job, and cost me less than half of what it would have to have them do it, plus no shipping costs. I think you could do the same with Traxxion.

I purchased the AK20's, springs, seals and bushings from Traxxion along with the Penske shock and spring for my Gen 1. Did the work myself. Not too hard if you're inclined. Worked closely with Lee Spitler at Traxxion. Don't know if he's still there, this was in 2012.

The transformation was nothing short of amazing. The stock Gen 1 suspension, at 15,000 miles, was so undersprung and underdamped as to be nearly unrideable.

Don't think you could go wrong with either outfit.

I dealt with these folks once they are a good east coast suspension shop. Doing a ride in is good if you are a bit suspension challenged as they can set the sag and explain what to look for and things to try for fine tuning.

Cogent Dynamics

33 Meadow Brook Dr.

Fletcher, NC 28732

Phone: (828) 628 9025

West Coast = GP

It's not particularly difficult to install the Race Tech valves, and they also offer spring upgrades.

The only slightly sketchy part of the Race Tech install is boring out one part in each fork to a certain depth. This required a clean drill bit and some appropriately placed blue tape to get the depth correct. You would also have to trim the preload spacers down by the difference in spring length.

If you have anybody in your local FJR mafia who has done multiple fork servicings, they will have the appropriate seal driver and random tools to do a fork rebuild.