What to do with a high mileage 2003 FJR ?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

David Morrow

Reaction score
I bought my 2003 FJR in 2004 with 10,000 miles / 16,000 Km's on it. Now, it has 189,000 miles / 305,000 Km's on it. I have all the maintenance invoices ( in PDF) and log for everything ever done do it. Plus a trip log for almost every mile ridden. Valves were adjusted, cam chain & tensioner replaced, new brakes and some other stuff relatively recently. Generally a very nice bike and I had intended to do yet another cross Canada trip this year on it. But I got the new bike bug so this has to go.

Who would want a bike with such high mileage ? The dealer doesn't want it on trade. It's been so good to me that it would break my heart to part it out. So, what to do? And what's it worth ?

Idea's anyone ?

Last edited by a moderator:
Probably only worth something to you. You might get $1000 or $1500 for it but you might get more satisfaction out of "gifting" it to someone in need of a bike. I think that is what I will do with my '07 when I'm done with it. (Similar mileage as your bike)

I thought about keeping the bike for local riding but realize that it would not get ridden if I had a new bike available. Nice to have a back-up ride in case of maintenance issues on the main bike but I wouldn't keep it around and pay license and insurance for that. Not to mention storage...

I have friends and relatives who like to ride so I would keep the old bike around for guests.

I sold my 03 with 130 thousand miles on it about a year and a half ago for 3k. Later I was given another 03 that needed a spark plug hole repaired and I fixed it in place and sold it for 2k with about 120k on it. Recently bought a pristine low miles 04 for 3k. It's worth what you can get for it and it sounds like you don't want it for a spare so price it where you are comfortable and send it down the road.

Don Carver is keeping his hi miler 06 for local and using the 13 for travels along with a fleet of other bikes. Don really does need some help.
rolleyes.gif
rolleyes.gif
punk.gif

It owes you nothing same as my 2008 with 98K. I did want to keep mine around for daily use and the 2015 for long trips. Did that last year but now it needs some repair work. If you don't want a daily runner to keep the miles off the new bike then sell it. My guess would be to start at $1,600.00 IMO.

Good luck,

Dave

I just went through the same tough decision. Not as many Kms as you but pretty close. I actually discussed things with the dealer a year ago and almost did the deal on a 2017. I spent a week on the beaches of Cuba drooling over the brochure and had my mind made up to do the deal .........................

I figured one last ride on the old girl and then I would the seal the deal but not so. That one last ride turned into another 20,000 km this past summer.

On one of those weekend rides, there was much discussion on a trip to Alaska in 2019. I then made my mind up that I was going to buy a new 2018 for this trip and if the dealer wasnt willing to give me what I thought a fair trade in I was going to hang onto it. So long story had a happy ending. Dealer gave me more than fair trade in and a very good price on the 18. I wouldnt even think about letting it go for the dollars that some have mentioned here. Other than garage space, you are out nothing by keeping it.

Canadian FJR

I sold my 03 with 90 thou on it for 2300 a couple of years ago. Last I saw it, the young man was wheelying it down my street hollering like a madman. He sent me some pics a month later, where he had spraypainted it another color and painted the pipes flat black and was raving about how much fun he was having. LOL {I do love people who consider 1000 or 1500 "chump change", God bless them.

I sold my 03 with 130 thousand miles on it about a year and a half ago for 3k. Later I was given another 03 that needed a spark plug hole repaired and I fixed it in place and sold it for 2k with about 120k on it. Recently bought a pristine low miles 04 for 3k. It's worth what you can get for it and it sounds like you don't want it for a spare so price it where you are comfortable and send it down the road.
Don Carver is keeping his hi miler 06 for local and using the 13 for travels along with a fleet of other bikes. Don really does need some help.
rolleyes.gif
rolleyes.gif
punk.gif
Isn't that what you are doing, helping him? Bwahahaha.

I parted my '05 with 262k (Miles) on it. It was a big hassle, but a learning experience for me. My '08 has 102k on it, when it reaches 250k

I will gift it to my son. I would sell your '03 to someone at a great price OR gift it to a friend or family member.

You've heard it before...it's only worth what someone will pay for it. Unfortunately, with that many miles, it will take a special person to see much useful life left in the bike.

I'd be prepared to "fire sale" price it to move, expect $1000 - $1500.

Good luck!

--G

I bought my 2003 FJR in 2004 with 10,000 miles / 16,000 Km's on it. Now, it has 189,000 miles / 305,000 Km's on it. I have all the maintenance invoices ( in PDF) and log for everything ever done do it. Plus a trip log for almost every mile ridden. Valves were adjusted, cam chain & tensioner replaced, new brakes and some other stuff relatively recently. Generally a very nice bike and I had intended to do yet another cross Canada trip this year on it. But I got the new bike bug so this has to go.
Who would want a bike with such high mileage ? The dealer doesn't want it on trade. It's been so good to me that it would break my heart to part it out. So, what to do? And what's it worth ?

Idea's anyone ?
David, you've got some great advice here. I'm down in Seattle.

I've seen a few Gen I FJRs being sold at 89K-100K miles and only for about $1,000 to $1,200.

Consider trading it for something else you could use - a log splitter, pot belly cast iron stove, sausage grinder, kayak, whatever floats your boat.

Or donate it to a local motorcycle repair training program and take the $1,000 tax deduction if Canadian tax law permits. I donated an old tent trailer to the Boy Scouts instead of messing around with Craigslist people that will offer 50% of your firm asking price or not even show up.

I can't believe the luck some of you guys have had selling a motorcycle with over 100k miles. Bikes with 100k+ miles are RARE. Way more common on this active forum, but before diving into the FJR world I would maybe see high miles on old BMW's or Goldwings.

That being said, the only bike I would consider buying with that many miles on would be from somebody I knew. I believe Joe sold his bike to his mechanic, who knew the full background. Other than knowing the previous owner the bike better be dirt cheap.

Just my 2 cents, which evidently doesn't go as far as I thought on these high mileage bikes.