Very Special SS1000 Attempt

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

101stpathfinder

Trading miles for memories
FJR Supporter
Reaction score
My oldest son (Jake) and I will be attempting an SS1000 Jax Ride-In. It sounds simple right? This will be his first IBA ride.

Now the hard part… He will be attempting this ride on a stock Kawasaki ZZR 600. I hope to be running SPOT and will post up

a link to our ride attempt. The day after the Hurricane, we rode 250 miles together on his longest ride so far. He is tough though

and I think he will do fine. His biggest worry "Wondering if his old man can keep up"

For me this will be a very special ride. I am planning the route to ride to Defuniak Springs, FL. I rode to Defuniak Springs (And Back)

on my first SS1000 in 2009.

Just try to keep up dad
rolleyes.gif

Any ride with our offspring is special, have fun Tony.

on a 600? hunched over? wow.
I test rode the bike for him and rode it home when he bought it, not my style for sure.

He is still pissed that I didn't fix the '05 and give it to him (If I would have known…)

He will be getting the '08 from me as soon as I put 250k on it.

Thanks for the comments !

He is sure not lacking in confidence, I think he thinks the last 750 miles will be as easy as the first 250.
no.gif

I hope to have the Sena (S) up and communicating. I really want to take my 650 Dakar on the ride, but recklessness on my part

has fried the wiring harness… and I doubt I could keep him in sight.

Tony,

Funny how confident kids are...and can usually back it up. Years ago I took a trip out West with my then 17 yr old son. We were on the road for over 2 weeks and were at the rally in Sturgis. I told him I had another 4-5 days before I had to be back at work, and it was his call how we got back to NY. I suggested maybe going thru Canada, or taking some smaller 2 lane roads. He said "Lets knock it out straight thru" (think he was missing his girlfriend). I told him that wouldn't happen as I was up late partying the night before, but if he wanted, I would stop for the night >1000 miles from home so we could knock out a SS1000, his first. We did just that the next day. 1120mi from Des Moines to home. Good luck on your ride, it will be one for the memory books. See you in Jax.

In my experience as both a son and as a father, what piques our interests don't always align with one another. Enjoy this ride to the max, it obviously is not a cert ride like you've ever ridden before. You'll know what he'll be going through those last couple hundred miles, and hopefully he'll understand why you enjoy them so much. And just maybe, it'll flip a switch on inside of him for such rides.

Safe trip for the both of you.

In my experience as both a son and as a father, what piques our interests don't always align with one another. Enjoy this ride to the max, it obviously is not a cert ride like you've ever ridden before. You'll know what he'll be going through those last couple hundred miles, and hopefully he'll understand why you enjoy them so much. And just maybe, it'll flip a switch on inside of him for such rides.
Safe trip for the both of you.
Mike,

Actually I am hoping for a "One & Done" cert. ride for him. He will be moving to Spearfish soon enough and

I will treasure riding the Canyon and beyond on my visits. Both of us ride different styles, we both need to learn to

Slow down/Stop and smell the roses and enjoy the ride.

Cool Tony. I have always enjoyed riding with my son when I get the chance.

Can you swap bikes during a SS1000?

I test rode the bike for him and rode it home when he bought it, not my style for sure.

He is still pissed that I didn't fix the '05 and give it to him (If I would have known…)

He will be getting the '08 from me as soon as I put 250k on it. Now that is the best quote ever. Swweeeet.
The ASSUMPTION that the FJR will last for 250,000 miles!!

Last edited by a moderator:

He will be getting the '08 from me as soon as I put 250k on it. Now that is the best quote ever. Swweeeet.
The ASSUMPTION that the FJR will last for 250,000 miles!!
The way I ride, that is a pretty safe assumption.

It is an '08 that I just started riding 2 years ago. It sat like a garage queen for years waiting its turn.

I let the '05 die a premature death by parting out with 262k. This bike absolutely owes me 4 more years.

Last edited by a moderator:
Tony, best of luck to you both. Time with your kid is a gift -- from the kid -- and should be treasured. Safe trips, and be polite if he offers you Red Bull or 5-hour Energy.

My interpretation is that he is referring to the "over-revving" redline on the tach. I think I'm self-trained to this. I have a red-blooded son who is a young adult, and while he doesn't ride motorcycles, he is intimately aware of what a red line is.

Tony - what's wrong with the Lad's steed? And what can we do to help?