Spider Bite? Code 14 & Dead

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FJR Flyer

DC Commuter Commando
FJR Supporter
Reaction score
Fun commute home yesterday...not. In DC and the bike starts running rough and then it dies with the turn signal, high beam, ABS and engine lights. I'm on the freakin' Suitland Parkway in Southeast DC with no shoulders. Ended up pushing the bike uphill about 40 yards to a left turn lane.

Turn the key on, get the needle sweeps and all the lights. Starter button gets no response. DIagnostic mode shows Code 14. Won't clear it.

Little history. Last week I got the Code 14 and engine light. Code 14 is the inlet air sensor and it what I read said the bike should run with the code as it defaults to some base fuel mapping. Code was intermittent. Over the weekend I pulled the tank and looked at the vacuum lines to check for spooge or cracks and checked the connector. Nothing amiss. I checked the plugs and they looked okay. It appeared that the power commander map had dumped so I reloaded the map. Cleared the code and it seemed to run fine.

Yesterday morning the bike ran great on the way in. No codes, no issues.

I have the Brodie grounding harness installed. Bike as about 130K on the clock.

My plan is to pull the fairing this weekend and check the grounds and connections. But I really have no clue. Any ideas appreciated.

Called the AMA Roadside Assistance number. Agent was nice but said they were having trouble finding someone to respond. Waited 2 hours for the truck to show up. Driver was cool and got the bike and me home. First time in 20 years of commuting on the FJ and FJR that I've been stranded.

Last edited by a moderator:
When I had a blocked sensor hose, the bike would run but very poorly - I could barely keep it running to get me home. You may have an issue with your Power Commander - check the connections and ground wire. A few have been defective...

The other issue (which I think is totally separate) is almost certainly a grounding issue. With the Brodie harness, it seems far less likely to be a typical "spider" ground connector (unless something got disconnected). Please remember that there are other grounding problems that can occur. Have a look at the following thread. This one hit me and at least a couple of other people.

https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php/topic/158418-itsy-bitsy-spider/?hl=%2Bitsy

Don't want to go far off topic, but it seems every other time I get a link for a write-up about a spider bite, it's an 07. Since I have an 07 and I also had a "bite" though not a spider "bite", are these problems mainly on 07"s or is it just a coincidence that all these threads involve 07's??

Ok. Feeling a but frustrated. I pulled the fairing and checked the spiders and most of the other connectors. Nothing jumped out at me. I then disconnected all my additional wires from the battery. Lo and behold I get normal dash lights and the starter spins. Cleaned up the battery connections. I put the tank back on and try to start it. No joy. I check codes and still have the code 14 and now also 41, lean angle. They won't clear. The fairing is still off, would that affect lean angle? The clock resets the time.

Scratching my head and not sure what to do now.

Ok. So I played with the fuel pump connector and got the pump to cycle. It started then got the engine light and code 14 and 41. Cleared them and started the bike. Runs like crap. Will check the PCIII map.

Wonder if the inlet sensor is bad per the code 14.

Sorry for the play by play. Just frustrated.

As I mentioned, I think the Code 14 is a separate issue from the ABS, high beam and turn signal lights. That's electrical and almost certainly a ground issue.

Look at the following - I'm not the only one to experience this:

https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php/topic/170314-fault-code-14-gen-ii-solved/?hl=sensor

In my case, the goo blocking the hose was in the short hose piece that comes off the sensor.

If the code persists, try taking the Power Commander out of the circuit. (I think you should try that anyway)

Clock resetting the time is indicative of a poor connection somewhere or a low (or bad) battery. You might get that one fully charged and then load tested by someone who knows how to do it properly.

Yeah I checked the vacuum line for goo and took a look at the connector. I did pull the PC plug out, bit that was before I resolved the lights. Have to try it now it's running. Thanks.

Ok. Took the PC out and now the light comes on immediately and stays on. With the PC it would come on later and go out for a bit with the reset. Wonder if the PC was masking the problem and the sensor is bad.

Out of curiosity, what other wires did you have hooked up to the battery? (You mentioned that unhooking them resolved the issue with the lights.) Don't be too sure you solved that part of the problem - bad grounds often come and go.

You can try replacing the air pressure sensor but they aren't cheap. Check output voltage with and without vacuum applied. Make sure there are no vacuum hoses disconnected or cracked as well.

Good luck!

Several things, voltage monitor, power strip, brodies grounding harness, motolights. The main cables did have some corrosion, so I cleaned those up.

How do you test the sensor? Factory manual calls for a test jumper type of thing. Can't see how to tap into the wires.

Probably should take a look at the main ground. Just have to find it.

Appreciate your suggestions. I'm beat, so calling it a night.

You have a bad ground. Probably related to that Power Commander. They're notorious for it. Don't replace ANYTHING until you've ruled that completely out.

So I checked and cleaned all the connectors, including the #3 coupler, battery connections, and the main ground on the block. The #3 coupler had some slight green corrosion which I scraped off with a dental tool, sprayed it with contact cleaner, and hit it with some ACF50.

Didn't ride to work today as then roads were icy and I still don't trust it. Took a 10 mile ride after work and it seems to be running okay.

Hate it when I don't find a smoking gun.

Saga continues. Above post was last Monday. Tuesday I took it for a test ride and it ran like crap, barely able to get it home. So Friday I completely pulled the PCIII and reconnected the O2 sensor connector. Rode it Friday and Saturday and it ran great. Raining cats an dogs last night and today. Just started it in the garage and got the light and Code 14 again. Cleared the code and it came back. Friend has a test jumper that might work to check the air inlet sensor voltage. Freaking tired of dealing with this crap.

So for those who might still be wondering (crickets...), some good news and bad news. Good news is two saturdays ago I pulled the tank again and ran some safety wire down the vacuum line and found the caramel colored grease in the line. Cleaned the line, and checked and cleaned all the other lines and unions and ports. Got rid of the code and it ran great. Rode it several times over that weekend and rode it to work on tuesday and wednesday.

Bad news. Got the electrical fault again riding home on wednesday. Luckily it was a much more hospitable spot in DC. A buddy rescued me with his trailer. While waiting I disconnected the battery and all accessories, no joy. It wouldn't clear like the last time. After I got it home, I tried another battery. No joy. Power Commander was pulled already. Still won't clear.

Not sure what the hell is causing it. Suppose I will pull the fairing again and check the connectors again?

I'm in Brazil for the week, and had no time last week or this weekend to mess much with it.

As I expected...

The goo in the sensor line gave you the error code along with the bad running.

As I (and others) have mentioned, there is almost certainly a grounding issue ("spider" or other connector) that is causing your issue with lights etc.

I've been riding the '16 and haven't had a lot of time to play with the '06. Finally had time today to pull the fairing again. Checked and cleaned all the connectors and reconnected the spider ground harness. Boom, it started. Now to double check every thing, pull off my radio and antenna, and put it all back together. Got a guy interested in it once I got it running. Small victory.

Latest posts