SFO 2018 - ideas and input

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FJRBandit

Reaction score
I suppose it's time to start considering our plans for this year's SFO. We need to at least get our dates locked down so that those who have to bid for vacation or otherwise plan out their riding schedule for the season know what dates to pencil in. I would like to get this nailed down in the next couple of weeks. While MrsBandit and I would be honored to host the event for a third straight year, we know that some people may prefer other venues. So I wanted to again throw it out there to open up discussion and see what the consensus is for the location and time for SFO this year.

There are many things to consider when trying to set up this type of event. First and foremost, since this has become mainly a Fall rally we want to be considerate of the long running and ever popular EOM that is set this year to be held Sept 20th -23rd in Maggie Valley, NC. So I would think that we don't want to do anything any later than Labor Day, which would be the weekend of August 31st - Sept. 2nd or on the other side, any sooner than Oct. 12th-14th. To that end, we really don't need to do anything later than Halloween to accommodate our friends riding down from Yankeeland. Also, I haven't seen anything on Hooterville but I believe that's usually in early October.

That being said, I would propose the following weekends (Saturday date only listed):

September 1st (Labor Day weekend), October 13th, 20th or 27th (Halloween weekend).

When it comes to location, the easiest thing obviously is a Jemison redux and if that's what the majority wants, that's what the whole shall get. But I'll throw out a couple of other locations for discussion purposes.

There is a nice hotel in Monteagle, TN that would be perfect for our event. The Smokehouse has reasonably priced rooms, cabins and an authentic Tennessee Smokehouse restaurant onsite that is outstanding! Monteagle is located along I-24, roughly 1 1/2 hrs south east of Nashville and 45 minutes northwest of Chattanooga. I don't believe they have tent camping sites, but surely there are some campsites nearby. The riding in the area is good and Cherohala is only about two hours away. Also in the immediate vicinity are Little River Canyon, Mentone, AL, Jack Daniels Distillery in Lynchburg, TN just to name a few. For those that have never been in that region I think you would find it very nice and enjoy the riding the area has to offer. If this is a place of interest, I will give them a call and see what kind of group rate we can get (likely in the $70-$80 range).

Traditionally, SFO was held in the Arkansas Ozarks. I try to make a pilgrimage there at least once a year myself. It's probably my favorite area to ride motorcycles east of the Rockies. I have confirmed that The Hub has officially closed as of Fall 2017. There are plenty of other options in and around north central and northwest Arkansas. If the majority want to go back to Arkansas this year then I will work on checking around for hotels/basecamps. I don't need to extol the riding in this region, everyone here is aware of the awesomeness that is riding in the Ozarks.

So I want to propose these three options for consideration -

Jemison Redux - simplest, easiest thing for me to plan and make happen, needs to occur later in October, essentially Halloween weekend just as we have done the last two years. Decent riding, but not a lot of great twisties.

Monteagle, Tennessee - good location, good hotel and great restaurant onsite, no "banquet" just meet, eat and ride some good/great roads. We can likely do this one on any of the aforementioned weekends.

Ozarks area, Arkansas - awesome riding, no "banquet" just meet, eat and ride some great roads. Probably in either Harrison, AR or Mountain View, AR. I know of a couple of fishing/biker camps that offer clean no frills accommodations for the hotel people like me and the tent campers as well. We can likely also do this one on any of the aforementioned weekends.

So let's hear it guys and gals. What is it you all want to do this year??? Please comment on your preference for location and which particular weekend you prefer.

Last edited by a moderator:
Bandit, thanks for once again taking on this task. I know how much work it is, and also know how rewarding it can be when it all goes as planned. Though I will not be able to make it to SFO this year I truly appreciate your effort and thank you again for a great SFO last year!

Thanks BigJohn! I'll see you at the end of June this year. Looks there will be four of us making our way from down here to the Black Hills and beyond this year. Looking forward to it for sure!

You guys have done very well without input from me .... so let's keep it that way, ummkay?

I do plan on EOM and having SFO the following weekend would work well for me given I had planned on riding the week after anyway... but, as others have said, whatever is best for you and Jana... you worked your butts off last year and maybe it would be nice to go somewhere that you could just relax and enjoy... that would be good too. ;)

Thanks to everyone for your kind comments and input! As you all know, MrsBandit and I enjoy hosting the rally and have zero issues with running a threepeat, which generally seems to be the consensus. Like many of you, I'm also very interested in moving the date to the weekend following EOM. This was something we tried to do three or four years ago in Arkansas but it seems there was only one taker that combined the two rallies. People commented then that they could only do one or the other. Vacation time is limited for most of us and some people can take off the two weeks back to back and some can't. That was the primary reason we moved it to late October, to allow for time between the two rallies so that people who wanted to attend both, but couldn't take two weeks off in a row could attend both. It works for some and doesn't work for others.

As for the weather, just as Redfish said, the weather we've had the past couple of years has been somewhat unusual. Hot in 2016 and then cold and wet in 2017. Normally mid to late October in Alabama is dry and the daytime temps are in the mid to upper 60's and lower 70's. But really anytime after mid-September to Late October lends itself to perfect riding weather in the heart of the South.

All of that being said, let's get some final feedback on holding SFO the week following EOM, which is set for Sept. 20th -23rd in Maggie Valey, NC. If most everyone is up for it, we can have SFO the following weekend, Sept. 27th - 30th in Jemison. I'm all for it but let's get a few more comments on that idea --- pro and con are welcomed and encouraged.

One other thing I'd like to point out, those of you that have V-stroms or some other type of dual sport machine might want to consider bringing that next time. We have some fabulous national forest trails within an hour of Jemison that are great to ride that time of year. In fact, you don't even have to go that far to get off pavement, you can just ride up and down the driveway and get your gravel kicks in! :lol:

Sorry but been tied up with dealer shows. My vote would be AR for the great riding and its less miles from my home base. Then again I plan on returning again regardless of the location so if it's at Club Bandit I'm in unless I have to travel during this years dates.

Haven't ridden with y'all(youins, youse guys, etc) in a while. I'll be vote #3 for back to the Ozarks.

Lots of options in Harrison and FYI the hub will continue to be operational. The new owners website is heritageusa.com

Hey Turk,

Whatever the consensus is will be okay by me. Spending time with you and Janna has always been time well spent. The same can be said for the rest of SFOers!!

I have never been to any other rally where the folks who have attended have been nicer and so many that I am proud to call friends. Love you guys and gals!!

Between comments from here and from other locations, it seems that the consensus is................

September 27th-30th at Banditville in Jemison, Alabama.

I really hate that this will be too early for Poolboy and Cav, and that KJ and Miss Debbie have a non-negotiable conflict. While we'll miss some of our stalwarts, maybe we'll get a few of the EOM folks that haven't been able to make it before.

Stan the Man has been locked down for the Saturday BBQ and I'm sure my buddy Bub's will be in for the shrimp and corn boil again on Friday night. I'll talk with the Shoney's Inn and see if we can get the same deal as the past couple of years. I don't expect that to be a problem at all. I'll get a new thread going with the "announcement" as soon as I confirm the hotel info.

Looks like I'm gonna miss another one guys, I just got a job offer I couldn't refuse in the private sector. 6 months of time before I accrue a week of vacation, just a little short of the time period needed to attend. I'll try this again next year! :p Ride safe.

Well, I'm just now seeing this. Didn't figure you would start planning quite this early, but it's a good idea. The Tennessee location sounds interesting. I'll be in Arkansas this weekend plus a few days riding with some friends, so I'll have my Arkansas fix in. I have no problem with either Jemison or Tennessee. Just thought Mr and Ms bandit might want to take a break. Also earlier in October would be my vote. I like to froze my nads off riding back home last year. Ha!

GP

September 27th-30th at Banditville in Jemison, Alabama.
Stan the Man has been locked down for the Saturday BBQ and I'm sure my buddy Bub's will be in for the shrimp and corn boil again on Friday night. I'll talk with the Shoney's Inn and see if we can get the same deal as the past couple of years. I don't expect that to be a problem at all. I'll get a new thread going with the "announcement" as soon as I confirm the hotel info.

Well, I'm just now seeing this. Didn't figure you would start planning quite this early, but it's a good idea. The Tennessee location sounds interesting. I'll be in Arkansas this weekend plus a few days riding with some friends, so I'll have my Arkansas fix in. I have no problem with either Jemison or Tennessee. Just thought Mr and Ms bandit might want to take a break. Also earlier in October would be my vote. I like to froze my nads off riding back home last year. Ha!
Dude, gotta take the time to read through the thread... decision already made! ;)

Hmmmm..... Well, I guess so. That's what I get for assuming the final decision wouldn't be made in April after a total of 9 or 10 people had voiced their opinion. A lot of people like me are probably just now getting around to wondering when and where SFO is going to be held this year. And yes, I've been accused of being slooooowwwww......

GP