Trans Labrador Highway

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

101stpathfinder

Trading miles for memories
FJR Supporter
Reaction score
I am curious to the Trans Labrador Highway. (?)

I have been reading up on some vague articles about it, but would like to hear from those

that have been on it on a cycle. I am wondering how it compares to the Haul Road, and if an FJR could

travel it reasonably. Anyone riders here that have been on both? On an FJR?

I am curious to the Trans Labrador Highway. (?) I have been reading up on some vague articles about it, but would like to hear from those

that have been on it on a cycle. I am wondering how it compares to the Haul Road, and if an FJR could

I do believe a couple forum members put knobie tires on their FJR's and did that ride.

I am curious to the Trans Labrador Highway. (?) I have been reading up on some vague articles about it, but would like to hear from those

I do believe a couple forum members put knobie tires on their FJR's and did that ride.
Yes, you are correct. I found the thread here: Labrador Highway - 2010 - Page 2 - Canada - FJRForum. This ride was almost 8 years ago,

but I think it is encouraging. Hoping Scott chimes in with an update and more info.

The specific ride that I am considering is the "Five Coast of North America Insanity. Five Coasts of North America Insanity

map.png

Last edited by a moderator:
A couple of years ago a K1600GTL was seen returning on the Trans Labrador HWY. it was pretty beat up having been dropped multiple times. Probably not the glorious return dreamt of by the rider. Reminded me of Ewan McGregor on his R1200GS in Long Way Round. Still, its an accomplishment. A lighter bike than the K16, or even the FJR, would be an easier choice.

First you say "I am wondering how it compares to the Haul Road, and if an FJR could travel it reasonably.I am wondering how it compares to the Haul Road, and if an FJR could travel it reasonably."

Looking through the threads linked to here, and the map you posted, I think the answer is NO, you couldn't travel it "reasonably."

Of course, that's never stopped you before! :) Good luck, my friend.

SAM_2514_zps8f41b034.jpg

Cant speak to the Haul Road but did the TLH twice. On the KLR when Phase III first opened in 2010 then on the FJR with FJRob and Canuck in 2014. There was only around 1000 km of dirt left at that time

( likely less now) but we mounted up TKC-80s for the dirt and glad we did. Those tires rocked. Rob did a full report, hell chime in soon.

That place has changed greatly. With the Muskrat Hydro project, the once great adventure has lost some of its appeal, at least for me.

Definitely doable on an FJR. Glad I did it when I did.

Canadian FJR

I asked a similar question back in December.
https://advrider.com/index.php?threads/trans-lab-compared-to-dempster.1273190/

Lots of good info over there.

Canadian FJR
ACF-50 (?) I will have to tr that. I did the Haul Road on my '05 FJR with PR2s and was OK. I had the BMW GS650F Dakar then, and still have it now.

I just am not willing to suffer through low mile days on 90% of the ride to feel more comfortable on the less than 10% tough roads. That was the same

choice I made on the Deadhorse ride (Never regretted it)

It is listed as 775 miles long, which would make it around 1500 miles of riding. This is definitely longer than the Haul Road.

Can this be done in one day (In the Light) ? If not, which end is best to ride in the dark? Leave the fuel cell for less weight,

or take it for extended range needed between fuel stops? I was OK on the Haul Road with just a Coldfoot refuel.

Other questions:

Is there a car wash on the southend?

Time of year ? I am considering a late July attempt.

Motel and fuel stop recommendations ?

Anyone else thinking of doing this ride? (All or in part)

Thinking maybe of throwing in the Haul Road for a "Haul Road 1000" and a "Bay to Bay" ride.

More to come Rob???

Are you looking at going from Baie Comeau to Happy Valley-Goose Bay and back (as per the map) or the circuit from Blanc Sablon to Baie Comeau? The route through Newfoundland (with some side excursions) is very much worthwhile if you are not focussed on that specific itinerary. Ferry from North Sydney NS to either Port aux Basques or Argentia NL. Another ferry from Saint Barbe to Blanc Sablon.

Not having done it, my guess is that it MIGHT be possible to do the one-way from Baie Comeau in a long day - I suspect that if you have to do some riding in the dark, the Baie Comeau end is better. No possibility of doing Blanc Sablon to Baie Comeau in a day.

The Trans-Lab (and the Haul road) are currently on my "to-do" list. Don't know whether I want to attempt these on my (almost) 200,000 mile '07 FJR or getting a dual sport for these (and other) trips.

A few comments;

1) I would not want to ride any part of the TLH at night, between the changes in road surfaces and the animals (big animals) this would not be smart.

2) I went mid July the first time and it was on the cool side, cold by Florida standards. Second time I went late August and it was wet, the whole trip. This kept the dust down but there were some pretty sketchy spots.

3) At that time, they did not treat the road with anything so no need for ACF-50

4) In the good sections, you can haul a$$ but it's a gamble. You never know when you will hit a soft spot in the road. One smart person up there thought it was easier the faster you went and another smart person listened to him. I might rethink that one.

5) I installed light guards and fender extender, smart choice.

6) I ran the fuel cell, not sure if it was necessary but peace of mind. Fuel is not an issue but there is always the chance that one has to back track or fuel shortages are not out of the question.

7) Motels are full with construction crews. We lucked out every night with Rob sweet talking the front desk clerks. Last room every night.

When you have some firm(ish) dates, let me know. I can likely get an update on road conditions.

Depending on when you are planning this, I could be talked into riding as far as Manic V, that road rocks.

PM me and I can e-mail a spreadsheet of our trip including motels and mileage between.

Canadian FJR

Are you looking at going from Baie Comeau to Happy Valley-Goose Bay and back (as per the map) or the circuit from Blanc Sablon to Baie Comeau? The route through Newfoundland (with some side excursions) is very much worthwhile if you are not focussed on that specific itinerary. Ferry from North Sydney NS to either Port aux Basques or Argentia NL. Another ferry from Saint Barbe to Blanc Sablon.
Not having done it, my guess is that it MIGHT be possible to do the one-way from Baie Comeau in a long day - I suspect that if you have to do some riding in the dark, the Baie Comeau end is better. No possibility of doing Blanc Sablon to Baie Comeau in a day.

The Trans-Lab (and the Haul road) are currently on my "to-do" list. Don't know whether I want to attempt these on my (almost) 200,000 mile '07 FJR or getting a dual sport for these (and other) trips.
200,000 miles on your '07… that is the PERFECT time to do these destinations !
punk.gif

The Haul Road 1000 is an up an back+ from North Pole, AK. This is possible in 24 hours due to the extended hours

of light around June 21st. I did not know about this ride when I did the UCCC, I stayed in Deadhorse and did a lengthy

stop at a car wash on the south side of Fairbanks and was at 31 hours round trip.

My planning is still in Early stages. It started when I realized that I had no ridins planned for this year. I looked at the

"Big list" here: Ride List and made a short list of rides that looked fun.

First you say "I am wondering how it compares to the Haul Road, and if an FJR could travel it reasonably.I am wondering how it compares to the Haul Road, and if an FJR could travel it reasonably."
Looking through the threads linked to here, and the map you posted, I think the answer is NO, you couldn't travel it "reasonably."

Of course, that's never stopped you before!
smile.png
Good luck, my friend.

SAM_2514_zps8f41b034.jpg
Mike,

You know one of these times I am gonna pick a ride that interest you and you

are gonna wanna ride it with me… you DO know this. Right?
punk.gif

Last summer I met 2 guys with Yamaha Super Tenere’s...they said it was a “ tough ride” on those bikes. I respectfully submit that the FJR is the wrong tool for that task.

A few comments;
1) I would not want to ride any part of the TLH at night, between the changes in road surfaces and the animals (big animals) this would not be smart.

True

2) I went mid July the first time and it was on the cool side, cold by Florida standards. Second time I went late August and it was wet, the whole trip. This kept the dust down but there were some pretty sketchy spots.

3) At that time, they did not treat the road with anything so no need for ACF-50

4) In the good sections, you can haul a$$ but it's a gamble. You never know when you will hit a soft spot in the road. One smart person up there thought it was easier the faster you went and another smart person listened to him. I might rethink that one.

The road smoothed right out at about 110KPH

5) I installed light guards and fender extender, smart choice.

6) I ran the fuel cell, not sure if it was necessary but peace of mind. Fuel is not an issue but there is always the chance that one has to back track or fuel shortages are not out of the question.

7) Motels are full with construction crews. We lucked out every night with Rob sweet talking the front desk clerks. Last room every night.

It's a gift.

When you have some firm(ish) dates, let me know. I can likely get an update on road conditions.

Depending on when you are planning this, I could be talked into riding as far as Manic V, that road rocks.

I could be convinced

PM me and I can e-mail a spreadsheet of our trip including motels and mileage between.

Canadian FJR

Last summer I met 2 guys with Yamaha Super Tenere’s...they said it was a “ tough ride” on those bikes. I respectfully submit that the FJR is the wrong tool for that task.
Having done this ride on an FJR I respectfully submit it is up to the task. There is more pavement now.

I say this with light hearted intent CBob, but you don't know Tony. I truly believe that Tony thinks an FJR is a duel sport. Even though he's had bits n pieces crack on him during such rides, it's never deterred him from riding those roads. And with a little help with duct tape, he always manages to finish.

Sounds like an awesome ride Tony.