2014 Coolant Leak - Up High

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill Lumberg

Merica
Reaction score
Two weeks ago, I found two half dollar sized drops of coolant in the bike parking space. Looked around. No sign of leakage. Coolant still at top mark, no overheating. Since I didnt find the drops the day they were made, no way to precisely figure it where they fell from.

Today, Ive got an other drop and drizzle. Coolant is still at top mark on bottle. I can see coolant at the top of the radiator, on the pipe that goes up from the radiator and enters a rubber hose. Im guessing that that pipe is failing, the hose clamp isnt sufficiently tight or has slipped off, or that the cap is jacked up and Im just seeing residue blown back by wind. Anyone else had this?

https://lumberg.smugmug.com/Tech/i-94n5dxM

Last edited by a moderator:
Yep- two things:

replace the hose clamps, that helps. But every year since new if I ride on a warm day and it gets near freezing that night I always have a few drops of coolant under the bike. I've replaced hoses, clamps- nothing makes it stop until warmer nights come around, usually mid-March. I've never had to refill between yearly coolant changes so I quit worrying about it especially when I searched and searched, found no cause and realized I'd have to remove the plastics when I park it then sit up all night, flashlight and baby powder in hand, driving myself stoopit to find it.

Check to make sure that the radiator cap is secure (I think it is likely OK). It is easy to have a leak at that hose. Loosen the clamp and make sure that the hose is on all the way and then tighten the clamp - making sure that the clamp is situated below the wider sealing "ring" on the pipe. You might have to replace the piece of hose.

Tighten the clamp more when the engine is warm and the hose is softer.If the problem remain,replace the hose...

My 07 always smell a little of anti-freeze when I put it to bed in the garage.

When I changed my fluid a year ago, I tightened up everything, but the fluid was not low then.

When I got a spider hit in October, I again checked everything, {I drained the fluid and took off the upper hose to get enough room to do a good job fixing the Spider Type bite} and then, once again, tightened everything up carefully. Despite all this I still smell anti-freeze at the end of the day and sometimes at the gas pump, and I have NEVER had to add fluid. Go figure.

I had this exact issue (seeping from the hose connection) after I checked my valves. But it was for the hose to cylinder head cooling pipe connection. That connection is a bitch to maneuver and I put a very thin coat of Vaseline on the pipe to help the hose slip on. After discovering the leak, I tightened the connection to no help. Crap - let it cool down again and then I removed the hose and wiped off the Vaseline with a clean rag. Then I took some sandpaper and very lightly roughed up the inside of the hose. Put everything back together, paying close attention to the position of the hose clamp - making sure that the hose clamp was beyond the barb of the pipe, and yet I still had a 1/4" or so of hose between the clamp and the end of the hose. I also made sure that the hose was inserted all the way to the end of the pipe fitting, and was installed evenly throughout its circumference (not cocked even in the slightest). Tightened everything down and it worked.

Not sure if this description makes sense Bill, but the concept might help you as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
@ Pants - you may have already figured this out, but being a petroleum based product, Vaseline is bad for rubber. If you want to lube a rubber connection, use silicone grease instead. I just use the same silicone dielectric grease that you smear on connectors for water resistance. A thin layer smeared on the two rubber (nitrile) o-rings on the coolant standpipe makes those slip right in and seal first time. You can also use it on stubborn hose connections as long as you will be clamping the hose later.

Great advice, Fred. Makes good sense - using the silicone as both an assembly lubricant and sealant. I didn't think about that at the time, but will remember it going forward.

I loosened the clamp at the top of the radiator. Tried to push the hose down further on the vertical radiator pipe. Couldn’t see any movement. Tightened the clamp back down. Didn’t seem like I did anything. But no coolant on the ground for 3 days.

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="hppants" data-cid="1389945" data-time="1518823897"><p>

Great advice, Fred. Makes good sense - using the silicone as both an assembly lubricant and sealant. I didn't think about that at the time, but will remember it going forward.</p></blockquote>

Lubricant only. Talking silicone grease, not silicon sealant.