Treating High End Gear- Tech Wash/Tx Direct Application

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill Lumberg

Merica
Reaction score
Whats your method for washing and treating breathable gear? Tumble or air dry? Dry before applying tx direct or not? As much money as aerostich or similar gear costs, I figured it better to ask than hope. Its only been about 6 months of almost daily riding (lots of rain), and I dont want to prematurely degrade seams/etc., but its probably about time for a cleaning.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have over 200,000 km on my old Stitch and used Tech wash/ and tech wash in every two years.

Sprayed with TX Direct regularly but never put the suit in the dryer. Always hang to dry. Not saying this is the only way but it works for me.

Canadian FJR

Bill,

Problem is TX Direct needs a heat application to work properly (bonding?). I use it once a year on my Gore-Tex drysuit for white water kayaking. I use the dryer at high temp but it is hard on the latex wrist and neck seals (why I only do it once a year). I believe the instructions say to use heat which can be dryer or an iron.

The iron works great to restore the TX Direct after it starts to to stop beading. Sounds counterintuitive but it works.

I've been using mediocre Tourmaster jackets & pants (besides some Icon pants) and have always just removed all armor, then hand-soaped some particularly stained spots, then put in the regular laundry machine on gentle.

However, never tumble dry - hang and allow to dry out in a clean spot in the garage (string a piece of light lumber through the arms - scarecrow style).

They seem to be lasting well over the last 6 years so far.

Use tech wash on my AeroStich and tumble dry low every year. Use TX-Direct wash-in and tumble dry low as directed on the bottle every three years. Bought the suit (2-piece) in '98 or so and wear it every fall, spring and winter. Still in great shape despite a couple of encounters with pavement. Theresa bought hers in '02 and we follow the same cleaning procedure. She stays off the pavement, though!

I have a two-piece Classic. It's pretty young at only four years old but being in the PNW, it does see a fair amount of rain and dirty conditions.

I wash and treat annually with NIKWAX products...so far so good. Always hang dry in the garage, no clothes dryers.

--G

https://www.aerostich.com/nikwax-tx-direct-wash-in-repellent.html and clilck on Additional Information.

Mine's going in for its annual Spring cleaning next weekend: Two wash cycles, then drip-dry overnight hanging from the garage door opener. (A wet one-piece is pretty heavy; make sure you've got a sturdy hanger and attachment point.)

My Roadcrafter is up there in age also. It gets washed maybe once a year depending on the conditions I put it through. I've used the Nikwax products with no complaints but for about seven bucks I hit the suit regularly with Kiwi Camp Dry (the blue can for breathable material). I'm not sure it's doing the same thing as the suit will absorb water and become extremely heavy after a prolonged or unusually heavy rain but I've always stayed dry inside. I hang the suit outside ("scarecrow style" - I like that. I once had my neighbor worried who thought someone hung themselves) where I can spray it all with one can and have some left over for the boots, tank and tail bags too. I wouldn't advise breathing too much of it in though.

10042653.jpg