Silly question on side bags

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mortenk

Reaction score
Im picking up my first FJR this weekend (2016 ES). Its slightly used so want to ensure I get everything I need. Dealer will provide 3 keys, manual, and extra windshield. Is there something else I should check/ask for, like covers for the mounting holes for the bags (when they are removed). Or arent the holes supposed to be covered up while riding without bags?

Sorry about such a lame question but I truly know very little about the FJR yet 😊 It will soon change though!

If you have not adhered to Ignacio's reprimand, you should get the covers for the side case voids. They are standard with the bike. Also make sure you get the side bags liners. When you get the bike home check to make sure the security torque screws in the bag locks are loc-tite secured. If that is Greek to you, go to the site Ignacio cited. Enjoy the new to you bike! You will never go back to a Harley again.
bike.gif

Im picking up my first FJR this weekend (2016 ES). Its slightly used so want to ensure I get everything I need. Dealer will provide 3 keys, manual, and extra windshield. Is there something else I should check/ask for, like covers for the mounting holes for the bags (when they are removed). Or arent the holes supposed to be covered up while riding without bags?
Sorry about such a lame question but I truly know very little about the FJR yet It will soon change though!
Yes on the hole covers, luggage bags for inside the saddle bags, extra luggage lock that matches the original keys for a trunk if you chose to get one.

And check they've stuck on the protective film around the bag mounting slots. They're supplied with the bags, three each side.

Pics show where they go:

(Click on image for larger view)

There should be a spare lock that is keyed the same as the side bags. This is for the top-box if you decide to get one.
(Should be under the seat)

+1 on making sure that the screws on the dealer-installed locks for the side bags are Lock-tited

Yes to the frame hole covers (6 in total) Should be there.
Owners manual, yes. Service manual is not included - see if you can get them to throw one in.
Three keys? - I thought two was usual.
Extra windshield - you must have negotiated this.
Bag liners - still standard in USA? (I think they now charge for them in Canada.)

If you are looking for extras, try for a set of frame sliders. If not thrown in, get a set anyway.

(You may with to consider OEM Yamaha sliders, regular spool-type aftermarket ones or Canyon Cages (or similar frame-mounted cages for front and rear))

Welcome to the madness, we are glad to have you.

Another thing to consider is to ask the dealer if they have greased all of the pivot points with waterproof grease? Clutch and brake lever, shifter assembly, rear brake lever assembly, side stand and center stand. There is clear evidence from this forum that Mama Yamaha is EXTREMELY stingy on this from the factory, and if you can encourage them to do it, it will save you a few hours of shop time, which of course will leave you than many more hours for riding.

Welcome to the madness, we are glad to have you.
Another thing to consider is to ask the dealer if they have greased all of the pivot points with waterproof grease? Clutch and brake lever, shifter assembly, rear brake lever assembly, side stand and center stand. There is clear evidence from this forum that Mama Yamaha is EXTREMELY stingy on this from the factory, and if you can encourage them to do it, it will save you a few hours of shop time, which of course will leave you than many more hours for riding.
On the other hand, I would not personally consider this for a couple of reasons. Many (most?) dealers do not take well to mostly uninformed customers telling them how they should prepare the bike for sale or how they should fix something. They get pretty pissed off with the "Internet wisdom" fed back to them - even though the concerns/comments might (or might not) be legitimate. Second, you could find that the dealer did more harm than good as they dismantled and lubed the rear brake pivot or clutch/brake lever perch. Especially risky for a steering head bearing service!! You might be amazed at the number of lost fasteners and wrecked screw heads some dealers don't seem to care about! Over-tightening (or under-tightening) could be a big problem.

I would also look at giving the bike a THOROUGH examination as a great way to get acquainted! Especially if you are mechanically competent and/or have a fellow FJR owner around to go through it with you. If you decide to do this, be careful to avoid over-torqueing. Get a service manual. (At the very least, check torque for critical fasteners such as wheels!)

Enjoy the bike!

Last edited by a moderator:
You won't get them if the guy who traded the bike stripped them off for resale. A dealer won't generally give a nickel extra for getting anything like the body plugs or the bag liners. Neither of the used FJRs I bought had bags or body plugs included.

3 keys?

Does one key have a red plastic head? If so you have a Canadian machine.

A bit off topic; how many miles? - have a careful look at the tires, OEM tires are not known to provide high mileage.

Enjoy your new wheels.

-Steve

Thanks for all your advice and suggestions. The bike has just over 5k miles on the clock, and my current bike is a ST1300 (which I will sell in a few months). It is not a Yamaha dealer, so I am sure they will be of little help for anything that wasn't provided by previous owner. If the hole covers aren't provided, can these be purchased somewhere (e.g. E-bay etc.)? If I am lucky they are somewhere like under the seat or in a glove department, but I doubt...

Congrats on the new [to you] 16ES!

Great advice so far...since you are buying used, unless the PO provided them, there's little chance you'll get the body plugs and third lock for the OE trunk.

Around town, I generally just run a GIVI trunk and I never bother to install the body plugs. Not worth the time and not very noticeable either. YMMV

Hope you avoid the predicted weekend snow. Enjoy the FJR, you won't be disappointed!

G

3 keys?Does one key have a red plastic head? If so you have a Canadian machine.

A bit off topic; how many miles? - have a careful look at the tires, OEM tires are not known to provide high mileage.

Enjoy your new wheels.

-Steve
US doesn't get a red key. That's the master key for the immobilizer. Put that up and never use it. Replacing it can be upwards to $300 US.

In the US we get 3 keys (2 saddle bags plus one for the optional trunk). We also get bag liners (gym bags) while CA has always had that as an option (with the immobilizer not being available in the US at all).

3 keys?Does one key have a red plastic head? If so you have a Canadian machine.

Enjoy your new wheels.

-Steve
US doesn't get a red key. That's the master key for the immobilizer. Put that up and never use it. Replacing it can be upwards to $300 US.

In the US we get 3 keys (2 saddle bags plus one for the optional trunk). We also get bag liners (gym bags) while CA has always had that as an option (with the immobilizer not being available in the US at all).
Bag liners are not an option in CA or are you using CA to indicate Canada? CA to me is California.

Bag liners are not an option in CA or are you using CA to indicate Canada? CA to me is California.
Traveling with a buddy a few years back, as we checked into a motel around Portland, the clerk said we could get a discount if we had a "CDL." Great! I've got a CDL.

To me, a "CDL" is a California Drivers' License! :lol:

Turns out Oregon motels don't really much care about that though.
blushing.gif

CA = Canada CDL = Commercial Drivers License

Kalifornication is the proper spelling of that lower western seaboard state.
biggrin.png