Front rotor runout values

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tslapper

Reaction score
Hello,

Been looking around and no mention of max runout. I will buy a factory manual eventually for my used 03 but I'm in the middle of diagnosing my brake shudder during hard braking. Lots of good info around here on that.

Could somebody please provide me with those values?

Thanks!

Max deflection listed for the rotor is 0.1 mm, 0.004"

Wheel radial runout listed at 1mm, 0.040"

Wheel lateral runout listed at 0.5mm, 0.020"

Last edited by a moderator:
There is a diagnosis for front brake shudder that is occasionally overlooked: embedded road spooge on the rotor surface and/or brake pads.

This can manifest itself into a "shuddering effect" because alternating portions of the rotor surface will have difference degrees of braking performance..... one portion has good coefficient of friction, followed by an area of less braking performance, immediately followed by another "good" area, etc. The net result you feel through the hand grips is a shuddering as the brakes go through grab/release-grab/release cycle in this scenario.

Just offering another possible explanation for what you're feeling during hard front-end braking.... if it was due to out-of-spec rotor runout, you would likely feel the shuddering during all braking evolutions, not just hard braking. Truthfully, while one can always developed warped rotors, it's not terribly common.

All that having been said.... you should also look hard at everything up front to rule out other contributing factors: wheel bearings, fork adjustment problems, steering head bearings, wheel alignment or other wheel issues, etc, etc

There is a diagnosis for front brake shudder that is occasionally overlooked: embedded road spooge on the rotor surface and/or brake pads.
This can manifest itself into a "shuddering effect" because alternating portions of the rotor surface will have difference degrees of braking performance..... one portion has good coefficient of friction, followed by an area of less braking performance, immediately followed by another "good" area, etc. The net result you feel through the hand grips is a shuddering as the brakes go through grab/release-grab/release cycle in this scenario.

Just offering another possible explanation for what you're feeling during hard front-end braking.... if it was due to out-of-spec rotor runout, you would likely feel the shuddering during all braking evolutions, not just hard braking. Truthfully, while one can always developed warped rotors, it's not terribly common.

All that having been said.... you should also look hard at everything up front to rule out other contributing factors: wheel bearings, fork adjustment problems, steering head bearings, wheel alignment or other wheel issues, etc, etc

Thank you for your thoughts on this. I agree, probably not the issue but I have the tools and time so I'm looking at everything. The entire front end is off the machine for maintenance and I'll be certain to clean the rotors and calipers before reassembly.

I bought his bike used and I am creating a baseline for owning and maintaining the machine. I need to know where I stand so-to-speak.

Cool machine. Great forum too, Thanks.