Where's the bags?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dogpark

Reaction score
I went to pick up my new 2018 FJR today and the sales person is proudly attaching the temp tag to the plate holder. I asked him where are the bags since there were no side cases on the bike. He said "What bags?" Well... let's just say the conversation deteriorated from there.

Anyway I don't have the bike, I refused to accept delivery without the side cases.

Can someone please tell me if the plastic covers in the tail section where the side cases attach or are they captive some how? I'm guessing if they are not captive they will lose them. I am not experienced with FJR's and don't know how they work.

Thanks.

I am not experienced with FJR's and don't know how they work.
When you signed up we suggested you review a variety of things including New Owners Read This!. #16. We wrote it just for you.
wink.png

Last edited by a moderator:
The body plugs are not captive and just snap in place. Those plugs plus three (3) locks [two saddlebags + extra for OE trunk] are included with the bike. Locks are normally in a plastic bag under the seat.

--G

nothing to see here

I had this very same question when I purchased by first FJR a few weeks ago. It was used, and plugs were nowhere to be found. The dealer contacted the previous owner, and he still had them, so he brought them in...I am not impressed with the system as they are not attached to the bike...I bet lots of FJR owners have lost them...

Mortenk posted: ... I bet lots of FJR owners have lost them...
I'll take that bet.

At least, riders haven't lost the plugs because they flew off the bike frame. I've lost mine, but it's because they haven't been on the bike for over two years and I've moved to a new home. Who knows? They may be in a box somewhere in the new basement.

I imagine I could find my plugs if I looked around a bit. But I don't know where they are off the top of my head. In nearly two years of ownership I have never installed them. The bags come on and off regulrly and I just decided I didn't want to deal with the extra step.

...I bet lots of FJR owners have lost them...
The plugs just snap in and are very secure. As a matter of fact they are a little difficult to remove because of this. I have never had any of them fall out and I ride with them in and without bags most of the time.

I have the plugs for my 15-year-old FJR, and I've never used them... the bike goes nowhere without the bags.
smile.png
It's also quite hard for me to imagine anyone ever even noticing the holes if I did ride without the bags.

Soft bags for inside the side cases? That's another story. Never saw them!

Soft bags never came with Gen 1 had to buy them. ??? Mine didn't

I haven't used side cases in a few years just a top case. Covers are in a bag SOMEWHERE in garage. Expensive for what they are.

I think they did, but many dealers kept them separate to sell as "accessories." That's the story around here, anyway.

My bike was 4 years old when I got it, so who knows?