Broken left mirror mount

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Carl Stark

Reaction score
The tab the mirror bolts to snapped off on a 2014 FJR. Can anyone recommend a shop in the Phoenix area? Needs to be disassembled, TIG welded and reassembled.

Thanks, Carl

You might want to PM HotRodZilla forum member. He is from around there I believe. That's going to be a lot of work to get that part off. If you have insurance have a Yamaha dealer replace it instead of welding it. If you decide to strip down the bike yourself Gerald here on the forum has welded up a few of them for folks.

Good luck,

Dave

Garauld here on the forum...
Fixed it for ya...
rolleyes.gif

'Zilla's down in Albuquerque.

IIRC, griff replaced that stay on his '14. Pretty sure others have as well but I can't recall who any of those folks are.

I replaced mine. A lot of work, I think they built the whole front of the bike round that stay.

Took some pics, you can see them here.

My broken stay after removal:

Click on image for larger view

Generations change, but this problem remains a constant issue with the FJR. I have broken the tabs on my FJRs at least

4 times. In route to the IBR once. Still am grateful for Zilla helping me out. Disassembled in a parking lot / welded / reassembled

in a very short time. I hope you can get some assistance and get back on the road Carl.

If you like monkeying around with your bike and have more time than money I would do it yourself. Not hard just fiddly. Take pictures. After I replaced mine I found a video by Science Biker on you tube that has the whole process on video.

You might want to PM HotRodZilla forum member. He is from around there I believe. That's going to be a lot of work to get that part off. If you have insurance have a Yamaha dealer replace it instead of welding it. If you decide to strip down the bike yourself Gerald here on the forum has welded up a few of them for folks.
Good luck,

Dave
Sorry man. As pointed out by the Geek, I'm in NM. Why do so many people think I live in AZ?? You're definitely not the first one. Haha...

If you are going to take the time to tear the entire nose down, remove the stay, and then have the tab welded back on, go an extra couple of inches and also weld on a gusset made from a small triangular piece of flat stock (very small - 3/4" or there about). Do it on both side (left and right). Only one gusset is needed and you should be able to figure out which side of the mirror tab is goes on (rider side IIRC). This will strengthen the mirror tabs exponentially and an added bonus is that the vibration on the mirror is reduced, causing a clearer rear view.

I did this on my Gen 1 and it was great.

HotRodZilla posted: <snip, snip> Why do so many people think I live in AZ?? You're definitely not the first one. Haha...
Possible reasons:

1) General failure of America's public school system.

2) Millennials never learned geography, since they can use their phones to navigate anywhere. (I know Wynpro isn't a millennial, but you said "so many people".)

3) Albuquerque is a big town, and everybody knows New Mexico has almost zero population. So Albuquerque MUST be in Arizona.

4) Arizona and Albuquerque both start with "A", and that makes me so very confused.

5) Aren't Arizona and New Mexico pretty much the same thing anyway?

6) It's easy to get you stirred up by saying it.

Last edited by a moderator:
The real reason is the "Z", the alliterative similarity, but I do like the "To stir him up" option :aaevil: .

Now you guys are just being mean. I can't believe Mac jumped in. That's baloney!! I thought Scottish people were supposed to be polite?!?

Now you guys are just being mean. I can't believe Mac jumped in. That's baloney!! I thought Scottish people were supposed to be polite?!?
Ah, but then I'm not Scottish.
For why there's "mc" on the front of my forum name, read here.

I do like winding people up, particularly when they're unlikely to be able to retaliate physically :devilsmiley: .

Ah, but then I'm not Scottish.For why there's "mc" on the front of my forum name, read here.

I do like winding people up, particularly when they're unlikely to be able to retaliate physically :devilsmiley: .
Ok, that's even funnier that you mentioned being Scottish. I do know you're not Scottish. I was making a funny, like Scotland and England are the same thing, as Arizona and New Mexico are the same thing. I swear it was funny in my head. I laughed every time I read it. However, at least now I understand your name. Haha...