PC - V for FJR Gen 1 - 2004 model - Is it worth?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KaleFZR

Reaction score
Greetings to all!

My FJR Gen 1 ( 2004 model) has progressively become noisy, jerky and rough at high rpm. I rode the Gen 2 the other day & experienced that ride to be super smooth. I know these things are bike specific but I cannot help but desire that my FJR should run as smooth.

Do you think I should consider installing a Power commander Module?

Please advice. Thanks in advance.

Yogi.

First thought, a PC isn't going to fix noisy, jerky and rough at high rpm's. Start with basics first before throwing $$$ at the issues you're experiencing.

How many miles? Just to start, how long since - plugs changed, TBS, air cleaner inspected?

--G

NO

If you rode a Gen-II and thought the power curve was smoother than your 2004, you have something very wrong with your 2004. Every year model became progressively worse for jerky throttle all the way to 2007, where it peaked (or sucked the most).

Plugs?

Carbon buildup in PAIR system?

Carbon buildup in Throttle body on butterflies?

Timing chain extreme wear and/or CCT gone weak?

Crud in the fuel tank? Removed the fuel pump and cleaned the screen in the past couple years?

Right handlebar worn/rough?

Throttle tube worn/damaged?

Throttle cable assembly old, worn, dry?

Pour one full 16 oz. can of Seafoam into a full tank and ride that out. Change anything?

How about the air filter? Cleaned or changed it lately?

Something is wrong. Or most likely a couple somethings are wrong.

First thought, a PC isn't going to fix noisy, jerky and rough at high rpm's. Start with basics first before throwing $$$ at the issues you're experiencing.
How many miles? Just to start, how long since - plugs changed, TBS, air cleaner inspected?

--G
TBS won't affect high-rpm performance, it's strictly for trimming low-rpm/idle. But between the two posts above you have a shopping list.

In addition to the good advice above, there is a main white electrical connector under the tank that has been reported to cause rough running issues in Gen I bikes. Usual remedy is to clean pins and grease with dielectric grease. This has been reported a number of times. I don't have photos or more detailed knowledge - just relaying information I have read about. Smoothness issues helped by a PC would be only in the lower RPM ranges where fueling is likely to be too lean.

Last edited by a moderator:
Found one thread where this was discussed along with some photos. (re: Connector under tank)

https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php?showtopic=22734&st

The photos were Photobucket so you need Chrome and the Photobucket extension "fix" to see them. I have copied the first pic below...

Photobucket "fix" at https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php/topic/172794-photobucket-fix-for-chrome-and-vivaldi-web-browsers-and-now-firefox/?hl=%2B%2Bphotobucket+%2B%2Bextension

40780749092_213eb116e6_z.jpg

I have a 2004 I purchased a year ago, and the lean surge and dead throttle response DEMANDED I do something, so I chose and installed the Power Commander 5. BEST decision so far with this bike. No more lean surge, instant throttle response. Now it runs like a 1300 cc four SHOULD !

^THIS^

Dunno 'bout the V, but I bought me a Power Commander FC fer mah '07, and it cured the snatchy off/on throttle. Wish I got one sooner; it wuz much easier to install than I thought it'd be. Dun worked so good, I got me one for mah FZ6.

Yo, check it... https://www.directcycleparts.com/metric-cruiser-parts-fuel-fuel-injection-modules-dynojet-power-commander-vision-power-commander-yamaha-dynojet-power-commander-yamaha-fjr1300-p-30735.html?_vsrefdom=adwords&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIyoGCmcaM2gIVzbjACh3shgSNEAQYASABEgLVKfD_BwE

OP, sounds like you need a proper tune up?