Split: Off-topic About Tires and Thread Clicking

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hppants

Reaction score
Every time I see a tire thread appear, I tell myself:

"Pants, don't do it. Do NOT open that thread. No matter what the title says, somebody is going to post up and proclaim to the world that they are getting 10K-15K out of a set of tires. As soon as you read that, your blood pressure is going to rise and your head is going to start itching. After all, you've tried everything in the book. Everything. Air pressure. Change tire types. Staggering brands. Buy fresher tires. Only ride in the rain where the traction is less and it wears your tires less. Only ride in touring mode. Never shift at higher than 2500 rpm. Leave the tool kit and the air compressor at home and losing rolling weight. Forgo the potato chips at lunch to reduce rider weight. Holding your mouth right. Oh yeah - don't forget that one time you held your breath and cut a sideways fart like that other dude suggested. Hey - you shorted your britches but it was worth a try, right? Everything. And of course, none of that worked. None of it. You don't get anything even remotely close to that mileage - maybe half of that if you are lucky. You read with total envy of these tales of tire longevity and your jealousy gets the better of you. Then jealousy festers a while and it just starts to piss you off. So don't do it. Don't click that thread. Just look away and move on to the oil thread or the cam chain tensioner thread or the 3,000 rpm whine in the motor sound thread or....."

But of course I'm stupid and curiosity always gets Pants. So I click it.....

(sigh)

Last edited by a moderator:
Pants? Really? My last set of PR7's lasted 27,000 miles! That's why they are named PR7's. You should try a set. Really. Oh, and eat more beans so you can refine your sharting technique? :whistle:

JSNS and
fuck.gif

Hugs n' Kisses

I've been running the Road 5's for 2300 miles. So far they are better than the OEM tires or the PR 1's, 2's, and 4's I've used before on both my 05 and 13. I never ran the 3's. I've done a good mix of freeway, and curvy back roads. I'm not a peg scraper, but the rear only has a 1/4 inch stripe, so I would say a spirited rider. The bike seems to corner better with them and straight line is stable. I'm running 42 lbs front and rear (I check the pressure before each ride with FOBO). There has been no funny behavior (unlike the 4's which sometimes wandered on a local bridge). So far, even wear, no cupping on the front yet (unlike the 4's and the OEM tires), but you can see and feel the different types of rubber on the sides of the rear, but the wear is even. The design and type of rubber of the rear duel compound is different between the 4's and 5's. The 4's are 3 pieces like 3 slices of orange. The 5's are all the same compound for the entire carcass except a top layer stripe on the edges.
Now, for the GT v.s. non GT issue. The Pilot Roads never had a GT version until the 4's. Also, the OEM tires on my 05 were not GT. I don't think the OEM BT023F on the 2013 were either, although I could be wrong. I decided to give these a try, given I only ride one up these days. With the first set of 4's two up, the rear was gone before the front (as were the OEM, 1's and 2's). With the second set of 4's one up, the front was gone before the rear. Time will tell how these go.

I've done a little riding in the rain, and although I don't have a lot of rain riding experience, these tires worked fine. Never any surprises.

So far may only complaint, they are not cheap.

JREW,

Thanks for the fine review. I too only ride one up and since I weigh 145lbs and do not pack heavy on road trips, I see no need to go with GT's. I watched the video on RevZilla's site and it seemed to confirm much of what you have experienced with the PR5's. I'm currently on PR4's and have 8800 miles on the set. Both front and rear tires have 3/32" of tread remaining. When new I measured 5/32" on front and 7/32" on rear. At this rate I am hoping to get at least 12,000 miles on these tires. My best mileage was 15,000 on a set of PR2's.
15000 on a PR2's, the best I ever did was almost 8000.

I've been running the Road 5's for 2300 miles. So far they are better than the OEM tires or the PR 1's, 2's, and 4's I've used before on both my 05 and 13. I never ran the 3's. I've done a good mix of freeway, and curvy back roads. I'm not a peg scraper, but the rear only has a 1/4 inch stripe, so I would say a spirited rider. The bike seems to corner better with them and straight line is stable. I'm running 42 lbs front and rear (I check the pressure before each ride with FOBO). There has been no funny behavior (unlike the 4's which sometimes wandered on a local bridge). So far, even wear, no cupping on the front yet (unlike the 4's and the OEM tires), but you can see and feel the different types of rubber on the sides of the rear, but the wear is even. The design and type of rubber of the rear duel compound is different between the 4's and 5's. The 4's are 3 pieces like 3 slices of orange. The 5's are all the same compound for the entire carcass except a top layer stripe on the edges.
Now, for the GT v.s. non GT issue. The Pilot Roads never had a GT version until the 4's. Also, the OEM tires on my 05 were not GT. I don't think the OEM BT023F on the 2013 were either, although I could be wrong. I decided to give these a try, given I only ride one up these days. With the first set of 4's two up, the rear was gone before the front (as were the OEM, 1's and 2's). With the second set of 4's one up, the front was gone before the rear. Time will tell how these go.

I've done a little riding in the rain, and although I don't have a lot of rain riding experience, these tires worked fine. Never any surprises.

So far may only complaint, they are not cheap.

JREW,

Thanks for the fine review. I too only ride one up and since I weigh 145lbs and do not pack heavy on road trips, I see no need to go with GT's. I watched the video on RevZilla's site and it seemed to confirm much of what you have experienced with the PR5's. I'm currently on PR4's and have 8800 miles on the set. Both front and rear tires have 3/32" of tread remaining. When new I measured 5/32" on front and 7/32" on rear. At this rate I am hoping to get at least 12,000 miles on these tires. My best mileage was 15,000 on a set of PR2's.
15000 on a PR2's, the best I ever did was almost 8000.
To be exact, it was 14859 miles on the PR2's. The front tire has a rather strange wear pattern but was not bald. The rear tire was bald but not down to the threads. Hopefully Pants won't see this post. We don't want his blood pressure surging above 190/90!

The only thing worse for me than the guys who get 15,000 miles on a MT, is the guy who gets over 50 miles per US gallon. Even the estimator thingy in my instrument panel doesn't show 50 mpg unless I'm doing 35 mph, in the summer, with my small windsheild, with a tailwind.

Since this was a thread split I will throw my 2 cents in.

I never get 10K out of my motorcycle tires. I have followed hppants and I know exactly why he doesn't get 10K out of his tires.

I have done better than 50 mpg before though. Always at high elevation but never when following hppants.

Also, could we please stop referring to worn out tires as "bald"? Y'all say Bald Tires like it's a bad thing. I find that hurtful.

You are not the only one. Never got more than 6k out of rear tire. Front a little more chopped or noisy by that time. Tried PR 2 once worst tire ever slipped-slide everywhere.

Tried many brands also. I'm sticking with Dunlops for now never a grip issue but still don't last. 5k rear 6-7k front. Always ran the GT version rears doesn't matter.

Tire Whores.

I might be the biggest cheapskate/frugal//tight/chincy SOB on the forums. You need not look any further than my sidewalls-they say Shinko. Part of that is out of neccessity, I do have 4 children. Part of it is because of my upbringing, money doesnt grow on trees mama said this my whole childhood. But mostly because my ass is stubborn, I hate forking over cash when I can push the replacement envelope a little. Tis a matter of principle more often than not. I think many of us are secretly this way by virtue of the sole fact that we ride the best machine value in the industry.

I stress much like the average guy does about mileage, fuel and tire, but when the right wrist says lets go, its time to sh-t can the carbon footprint concept. I am happy and applaud those of you that get amazing mileages from your tires and range, but in the end, thats your strategy. My strategy was decided at Rocky Mountain ATV a while ago. I stopped worrying what mileage I get when I hit submit payment. There is an old saying in coaching regarding planning and preparation. When my assistants or players are stressed out on Fridays when the lights are on, I tell them The hay is in the barn, the work is done, lets go see if we practiced well. Time to go have fun I feel the same with tires.

Shoot your shot circulates in our program often. The same applies to Halle. I didnt buy a rocket ship to ride like a grandma. If my tires wear out following any of you, especially your rippers out there, they have done their job. Well done loyal faithful servant! Lol.

I wore out a few Shinko rear tires on my 03. If I remember right one was on the back when I rode it at Bonneville. Got 156 out of it with my fat ass on it.Never liked the feel of the front.

Ray, I keep hearing those exact sentiments from folks in the past about the Shinkos. Not sure how long ago that was for you, but I believe one of two things about the new Shinkos, Either they are making a much better tire now, or I just don’t know what a good tire feels like.

I haven’t had a PR4 or similar top shelf tire on the 15, but the 04 I had lived often on premium tires. Maybe I think the Shinkos are good because I was used to the older suspension and tech on the 04. Maybe I will be even more amazed with the 15 if I put on a PR product or similar.

Man, I've got it bad.

Now, I'm checking the tire thread that I created (indirectly) about NOT checking tire threads.....

They say the first step is admitting you have a problem. What's step two?

... They say the first step is admitting you have a problem. What's step two?
Next step is to buy a set of Shinkos!

I haven't tried them yet - maybe the next set? I have tried almost everything else including some very inexpensive Continental ContiMotion. (Not bad at all although they didn't live too long.)

... They say the first step is admitting you have a problem. What's step two?
Next step is to buy a set of Shinkos!I haven't tried them yet - maybe the next set? I have tried almost everything else including some very inexpensive Continental ContiMotion. (Not bad at all although they didn't live too long.)
Joey doesn’t have to buy Shinkos to try them out, I have a set on mine he could ride on Friday in North Georgia. It’s gonna be a fun time!

Which Shinkos do you run Cav? Now that my beloved Avon Storm 3XM's have been discontinued I'm searching for alternate choices!

I wore out a few Shinko Raven 009 tires. They worked for reasonably aggressive riding and were ok in the rain. Ymmv

John,

Ray has it correct in that I have run through 2 sets of Ravens. Allen put me on to them and with the way he rides. They will always be good for me.

I found truth in what Allen said about warming them up before blasting with them. Allen found out the hard way on a round about very close to his house a few years ago. Once they warm up, they are good. Mileage has been good at around 6500 on the rear. And at $99.60 currently from RMATV, the Raven is a pretty good buy.

Last Fall I put on a Verge model at SFO. Sadly I have only the miles back to Memphis with you and then home with Marty to compare it. This weekend, I will have some good comparison time in Georgia. I will report back findings after it has been properly flogged.

I'm not complaining or bragging......just reporting.

The FJR is in for new tires, should be on tomorrow. The old and new are PR4 GTs. The take-offs have just shy of 13,000 miles on them. Guess I have to be okay with that but it still seems a lot of money for so little mileage!