Super Tenere valve check

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TripperMike

Old Yeller - Thanks for the Memories
FJR Supporter
Reaction score
For my upcoming Tech Day, I've got an attendee who would like to do a valve check on his S10. For those of you who have one, can you tell me how it compares to an FJR? Are there any similarities? More complicated? Easier than it looks? Or perhaps better left to a pro?

Not owning an S10, I've not had the need to look for a good S10 forum.

You should get a response to your questions tonight as there is a S10 valve check in progress in the PNW as I type (not me).

Same basic procedure but with a much tighter space to work in. Good time to replace the cam chain tensioner with a manual version. Look for signs of water collecting in the spark plug recesses of the number one cylinder; common issue addressed by using dialectric grease on the stick coil caps. Two sets of hands are a great advantage and loosening the electrical panel will make maneuvering easier and seeing the witness marks on the cam sprockets possible.

You should get a response to your questions tonight as there is a S10 valve check in progress in the PNW as I type (not me).
Well I hope all goes well for them and that they do post up somewheres as to how it went.

Same basic procedure but with a much tighter space to work in. Good time to replace the cam chain tensioner with a manual version. Look for signs of water collecting in the spark plug recesses of the number one cylinder; common issue addressed by using dialectric grease on the stick coil caps. Two sets of hands are a great advantage and loosening the electrical panel will make maneuvering easier and seeing the witness marks on the cam sprockets possible.
Tighter spaces to work in? With my fat hands this doesn't bode well at all. lol

I'll have to look into this manual version of the chain tensioner. It sounds like chain drive vs drive draft.....something you've always got to check and tighten periodically. Fortunately, it'll be his call and not mine. But I'll mention it to him.

S10s have had some issues with failed CCTs, with an occasional catastrophic result. Later models have fewer issues. A manual CCT does not require adjustment very often after the initial installation.

PNW reporting in...

DO NOT attempt this valve check at a Tech Day. As Kevin above mentions, much tighter confines to work in. More "stuff" to remove including airbox, and throttle bodies, lots of electrical plugs to label. I took my time with pics, etc. and I was in it 1-1/2 hours to get to the valve cover. Big wiring harness in the way on RH side makes valve cover removal a PITA. Came out with coaxing, took three tries to get it back in between gasket coming off and getting just the right angle to get under harness. Made donations to the swear jar today...

Mostly lucked out with valve clearances. Had one loose intake but not enough to make me remove the intake cam to adjust. Replaced tensioner with Graves unit, hope that isn't a dumb move. Almost back together now, I'll have six hours in it from start to finish.

Tenere Valve Check Link.

--G

PNW reporting in...
DO NOT attempt this valve check at a Tech Day. As Kevin above mentions, much tighter confines to work in. More "stuff" to remove including airbox, and throttle bodies, lots of electrical plugs to label. I took my time with pics, etc. and I was in it 1-1/2 hours to get to the valve cover. Big wiring harness in the way on RH side makes valve cover removal a PITA. Came out with coaxing, took three tries to get it back in between gasket coming off and getting just the right angle to get under harness. Made donations to the swear jar today...

Mostly lucked out with valve clearances. Had one loose intake but not enough to make me remove the intake cam to adjust. Replaced tensioner with Graves unit, hope that isn't a dumb move. Almost back together now, I'll have six hours in it from start to finish.

Tenere Valve Check Link.

--G
Thanks for the heads up. I'll let him know then that it'll be off the table for tech day. And thanks for the link. Perhaps if he wants to come by on a separate (long) day when he and I can be solely focused on his bike, then it might work.

Thanks for the heads up. I'll let him know then that it'll be off the table for tech day. And thanks for the link. Perhaps if he wants to come by on a separate (long) day when he and I can be solely focused on his bike, then it might work.
You're welcome Mike. This was my first Tenere valve check. Now that I have this one under my belt, the next will go faster with a few tricks I picked up this time. Biggest hassle besides valve cover R&R is the amount of stuff to remove.

--G

This tight space stuff scares me, when I by gloves I find that 3X are usually tight! My new to me S-10 should be ready fo it's first check this coming winter.

G, it would go much faster if you didn't clean and polish every part you removed. JSNS.
smile.png
Bug...were you tapped into my webcam??
weirdsmiley.gif

This tight space stuff scares me, when I by gloves I find that 3X are usually tight! My new to me S-10 should be ready fo it's first check this coming winter.
We'll get it done Kev...pair of wire cutters and there will be plenty of room!
tonguesmiley.gif
coolsmiley02.gif

--G

I call BS due to the new rule XXX. No coal in my stocking and my 09 FJR with 87K runs like a champ despite being washed frequently without detailing.
biggrin.png

I call BS due to the new rule XXX. No coal in my stocking and my 09 FJR with 87K runs like a champ despite being washed frequently without detailing.
biggrin.png
Don't forget his cold bike must idle for 32.731 seconds before ksu.

I must have a little George DNA somewhere in the blood line, I didn't even know it until a friend pointed out how I even cover my clean bikes inside the garage.
uhoh.gif

Last edited by a moderator: