Have you ever had a flat tire?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lunch truck larry

Reaction score
Have you ever had a flat tire? Were you prepared? What kind of fix did you have? My New Years resolution is to ride more, so yesterday I met with bud's to plan a trip. Got me thinking ,,,I don't carry any flat fix stuff. Went to web,,,Most guy's are using the traditional reamer and plug system, but those Dynaplugs looks cool,and how about those mushroom things, I wonder how well they work? What are you using? Do you think C0/2 cartridge's or air pump? I have never had a flat, but still should be prepared.

Last edited by a moderator:
Two flats. The first in Virginia Beach, Virginia when I was 15, on the rear of my brother's Honda CB450, Blackhawk. My brother did not know that I regularly rode (stole) his bike and I was not prepared to fix a flat. I rode the bike a couple of miles to get it home, parked it and later pointed out the flat tire to my brother. The second when I was 65 in Broadus, Montana on the rear of my FJR. I was well prepared and carried the kit described by SouthernCruizer. Fixed the tire and continued on my way to Spearfish, SD. Getting a flat every 50 years is a bit much I think. I've fixed a couple of flats for others who did not have the wherewithal to do so.

And by the way, about five years ago I told my brother about my appropriation of his bike back when we were kids; he was really pissed. Glad he lives on the east coast.

small air compressor, gummy plugs, rubber cement, reamer tool. Saved me a few times.
+1

I keep the little Aerostich compressor under my seat. I have a "battery tender" pigtail hanging from the battery inside the fairing so I just reach in beside the front forks and grab it. The compressor plugs into that.

I believe in keeping it simple and using what is proven to work. I have repaired my own tires when well over a thousand miles from home and repaired tires for other folks both near and far.

I gave my GoldWing riding cousin one of those Aerostich compressors and he has been a Hero amongst his Harley buddies more than once.

I cannot imagine riding from here to work without my repair kit, I certainly wouldn't take off on a trip without one.

I have plugged several motorcycle tires, for myself and others. I use a simple sticky string and reamer. My pump is a small bicycle hand pump. It takes a lot of pumping, but does the job. I buy new sticky strings every year or two to keep them fresh.

I'm also a sticky string guy, used them a few times. I have a small Slime pump that fits nicely under the seat with a battery tender cable adapter to plug into. As mentioned above, I also replace the glue every yr and the strings every 2 or 3 yrs.

I also tossed a Leatherman multitool in my tool kit for the knife to cut the plug off and the pliers sometimes needed to thread the string thru the installation tool. Also, if you decide to go this way, spend the extra 3 or 4 $$ and get T handled reamer and installer. So much easier than the straight handled ones.

I don't see where anyone has mentioned it yet-

DO NOT PLAN ON USING THE GLOVE BOX AUX POWER SUPPLY FOR AN AIR COMPRESSOR.

The glove box is an AUX supply for small loads like phone, gps, etc. It is fused at 3 amps and will not handle a 7-12 amp air compressor. That's why you see where many folks list another power source for this.

Sticky strings and a Slime pump here along with more tools and crap than anybody needs but I tow a trailer so got lots of room. I have yet to fix my own but a number of folks have been glad I carry lots of stuff.

+1 to 12v pump under the seat and sticky gross plugs.

Only 1 flat so far, but that combo got me a considerable distance all the way home as the dealer where I was almost stranded wanted 3x the going $ for a new tire.

Couple of times when on cross country trips and alone. I carry sticky string things and a Slime pump under the seat. Never leave home without them!~

George

I had/have a Slime along with something else. They worked ok but a couple of years ago I got a deal on a Motopumps Airshot. Very happy with it. Easy to use, packs up small in its case and if you take out the bits you'll probably not use you can fit the T and strings all inside.

Thanks rbentnail,, Never would of thought about that , flat tire and blown fuse ! What a bummer . Ok,so far we have the Slime pump @ $37. Areostich pump @$50. or Mini Pro @ $80. I wonder if those Dynaplugs work ? Last time I fixed a flat was on the Weiner Wagon, Really, Really, had a hard time getting that sticky string thing,to go into tire.Maybe need to go to the gym more .

Two flats. The first in Virginia Beach, Virginia when I was 15, on the rear of my brother's Honda CB450, Blackhawk. My brother did not know that I regularly rode (stole) his bike and I was not prepared to fix a flat. I rode the bike a couple of miles to get it home, parked it and later pointed out the flat tire to my brother. The second when I was 65 in Broadus, Montana on the rear of my FJR. I was well prepared and carried the kit described by SouthernCruizer. Fixed the tire and continued on my way to Spearfish, SD. Getting a flat every 50 years is a bit much I think. I've fixed a couple of flats for others who did not have the wherewithal to do so.
And by the way, about five years ago I told my brother about my appropriation of his bike back when we were kids; he was really pissed. Glad he lives on the east coast.
Enjoyed your account of unauthorized use of your Brother's bike. I did the same sort of stuff as a kid. Where I grew up in south central PA back in the 50's no one locked their doors and most people left the keys in their cars. I borrowed without authorization a few motorcycles, cars, and bicycles before I turned 16 and got a Zundapp motor scooter. Would love to have that 200cc Zundapp now.

I always carry stringy things and mushroom plugs and CO2 cartridges and a large can of "fix a flat", and, of course, I have never needed them. That's why I have them, if I didn't have them, I would have had a flat by now.

One day when I was out riding I saw a group of 7 Hardley guys who, it turned out had ridden down here to South Carolina from Massachusetts. {950 miles or so, I think} and one of them had a flat tire. I stopped and pulled out my "stuff" and we proceeded to put a mushroom thing in the tire in place of the nail he had picked up, and since they were already at a gas station, he filled it up there. Now these 7 guys had ridden almost a thousand miles from home and not one of them had a tool or a tire repair kit. Oh well, nice guys and they thanked me profusely.