seat material selection

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Northwoods Snowman

Reaction score
I just picked up an extra stock seat and am considering sending it in to Russell to make a Day Long out if it. Looking at their site they have the five different materials to pick from. I think I've typically seen vinyl and leather chosen, but I'm wondering what people's experiences have been with different seat materials. I'm not talking strictly RDL seats here, but in general.

I've had vinyl seats on most of my bikes, and I had a leather Corbin on my old ZR-7 and to be honest, I got it for the "breathability" but I don't know if I could tell any bit of difference over a vinyl, other than I had to condition the seat on a regular basis because I stored the bike out side most of the time.

So what's your experience? What do you like and why?

I've had vinyl seats on most of my bikes, and I had a leather Corbin on my old ZR-7 and to be honest, I got it for the "breathability" but I don't know if I could tell any bit of difference over a vinyl, other than I had to condition the seat on a regular basis because I stored the bike out side most of the time.
This isn't answering your question but I've wondered about this also. If you're a rider who's always AGATT, would breathability really be an issue?

Vinyl and leather user here. Only real difference is heat. The vinyl seems to be much hotter in 100+ degree F sunshine.. to the touch.. for my buns.. even with cycleport gear.

I got the leather seat option on my Bill Mayer seat 10 years ago, and its been with me for nearly 200k miles between my 3 FJRs. It still looks good, though its a bit stiff because I seldom condition it.

Do yourself a favour, whatever material you decide on, get the heated seat option, and control it with a HeatTroller. Close your eyes, look the other way and open your wallet. Its not that expensive of an investment, and your bum will thank you many times over. I live out here in the San Jose Bay Area, and theres been times that I realised I forgot to turn the thing off, and by golly it feels pretty good at 6 in the morning on a summer commute.

Brodie

😊

Last edited by a moderator:
On my newest RDL I went with the gray Sunbrella fabric and couldn't be more pleased. It stays cooler in the sun and is easy to take care of.

+++1 on the heated seat thing. Never had it before but don't want to be without it now

I've never ridden a bike with a heated seat, but it seems like a lot of coin that could be spent on something more effective like a heated jacket liner or something.

The nice thing about a heated seat is that it is always on the bike, ready to turn on and enjoy the heat. Youre not always going to have your Gerbing on and plugged in.

Its your bike, your coin. Im just suggesting you consider this option, its worked well for me. But now is the time to add it in while the seat is being built.

This I do know, you will enjoy the new seat, heat or no heat.

Brodie

😊

I got my Seat Concepts cover in the 'gripper' fabric -- felt a bit different at first, but love it now. Nothing quite like having your butt stay where you put it!

Two LAAM seats, went with vinyl on both. The FJR got the CF look top with smooth sides. With the Tenere, I liked the OE look so went with "asphalt" style top and smooth sides.

No regrets going with vinyl, I'd choose it again.

--G

Have a leather Meyer seat and on long trips I run the Beads with it. Can't say that the leather is the real deal but can say find a seat that works for your arse! 104,000 on my seat and close to ten years and have conditioned it two three or times a year. I guess that would be a downside to owning a leather seat.

Sorry Brodie but my Hemorrhoids disagree, a hot ass isn't what I need up hear in the NW! A warm core and I'm good all day. JSNS

I know folks what have tried 5 or 6 seats before they found one they liked. I spent more for leather and the only thing I can really say is I like the look.

Ive had leather look vinyl and the carbon fiber look vinyl. The carbon fiber was the best combination of tacky and slick.

All U sissies needing warm balls. Really? Heated Seats? Heated cockSocks next? Just shrivel up like a real man!

JSNS and
fuck.gif

Hugs n' Kisses

Ive had full leather Russell seats on my Gen 1 FJR and my Gen 3, and I also a vinyl seat on my 04 VStrom. There is absolutely no conparison between a full leather seat and a vinyl Russell seat when the going gets hot. Which was why I sprung for the full leather on my 2014 after Id already experienced both before. Well worth the price. Or go with leather seating and vinyl sides if you must save @ few shekels.

As for heated seats, Ill go against the grain and say that they just arent worth it. I had a heated Corbin for a while, and honestly all it did was make my ass sweat at the worst times. You sweat and then you get cold. If you are riding in real cold youll want heated gear (jacket line4 and gloves) and some good insulation and wind blocking. But having the equivalent of an electrical fire under your butt doesnt help as much as you may intuit.

As in all things, YMMV.

Ive had full leather Russell seats on my Gen 1 FJR and my Gen 3, and I also a vinyl seat on my 04 VStrom. There is absolutely no conparison between a full leather seat and a vinyl Russell seat when the going gets hot. Which was why I sprung for the full leather on my 2014 after Id already experienced both before. Well worth the price. Or go with leather seating and vinyl sides if you must save @ few shekels.
As for heated seats, Ill go against the grain and say that they just arent worth it. I had a heated Corbin for a while, and honestly all it did was make my ass sweat at the worst times. You sweat and then you get cold. If you are riding in real cold youll want heated gear (jacket line4 and gloves) and some good insulation and wind blocking. But having the equivalent of an electrical fire under your butt doesnt help as much as you may intuit.

As in all things, YMMV.
Fred,

Can you explain the difference you have experienced in the leather vs vinyl in a little more depth, please?

Just updated my Laam to a RDL. Went with Vinyl. Jay at RDL stressed the need to keep up on the leather and I am too lazy to do that.

As in all things, YMMV.
Fred,
Can you explain the difference you have experienced in the leather vs vinyl in a little more depth, please?
Sure. The biggest thing is that the vinyl does not breathe at all, so when it is warm, pretty much anything over about 90 degrees, the swamp ass is horrendous, regardless of what you are wearing.
The other factor is that vinyl never breaks in. It stretches while you are sitting on it, but then retracts again when you get off. So every day you are breaking the seat in again. But it always looks new.

Leather is the opposite. It stretches out to fit your backside, and never really retracts. It gets more and more comfortable the longer you use it. It does get to look a little used after a while, but that is part of the comfort bargain.

As for increased care requirements, I say psha! I may smear some Lexol on it once or twice a year at most and it never seems to cause it a problem. I wouldnt worry about that in the least.

I LOVE the Russell seat.Money well spent .You'll get to enjoy it every time you ride.Made a big difference on my posture..Get the leather !

Thanks to ..Mad German, who turned us on to the legendary Barnacle Bill who,by the way makes leather racing suits said. The best thing for anything leather was simple skin creme or hand lotion . Maintenance wont be a problem,,Just "lube up" and rub her down .Investing money on the right stuff!

On my 2nd RDL. One leather, current one is sunbrella. Both were heated. I will always want a heated seat, well worth the coin, agree with the above comments, roasted nuts are the way to go :) . Both materials have been fine so far.

Dunno if you ever looked at my RDL, but mine has the velour inserts.

I'm the third owner - the previous owner lived in Florida. The velour is great in the sun - when I ride to work and the bike sits in the sun all day, the seat is nowhere near as hot as an all-vinyl or leather seat would be.

I put that seat on the night before I left for SFO in 2009 (did anyone mention that it rained for three days straight?) and have been extremely happy with it ever since.

The velour itself has held up well. There is one area on the 'wing' that has worn through, though, so I'm gonna have to get it re-covered at some point.

Latest posts