Father & Son SS1000

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

101stpathfinder

Trading miles for memories
FJR Supporter
Reaction score
Well my wife has got an IBA number via the SS1000 two-up, so I asked my son if he wanted to go to the IBA Jacksonville

Dinner event. He said "Sure" , so I added that they had ride events that he could do and get his SS1000 Certification given

to him without waiting for the normal process. He agreed he would do it on a ride in SS1000. I planned the ride out for a 4 am

departure. We would go south in the cool hours and west and north during the day. I picked Defuniak Springs, FL as our turn

around for sentimental reasons (My very 1st IBA ride).

He has a Kawasaki ZZR 600 that he was VERY confident he could make the ride on. Coming up to the event, he developed an

oil leak on the cover gasket and problems seemed to compound faster than he could fix them. In a rather desperate action, I

contacted a close friend and forum member jgreen and arranged a standby cycle so the ride would not be lost. jgreen graciously

loaned his bike a 2008 FJR which I flipped 107k on bringing it to my place. My son rode my 2008 FJR with only 103k on it while I

rode Joe's bike.

My son's work hours got changed, so the ride started at 1:30pm. We started off with the witnesses at the local fire station and

start fuel in West Palm Beach. He had the only GPS on his bike, while I knew the route in my head. Heading south he jumps into

the Express lane and we get separated right from the start. With no communications between us, this created some apprehension

on my part. We met up when I spotted him on the shoulder of the road right before our Miami entry. He then took the lead and passed

our turn onto SW 7th street which eventually merges into the Tamiami Trail (Hwy 41) I followed him further south and inquired as to the

route the GPS was taking him. "It shut down" was his response. We did a U-turn and headed back north to the exit. It was rush hour in Miami and he shot down the shoulder to the exit. I had noticed LEOs all over the area. We went to different gas stations and would

not see each other for quite awhile. I thought he was ahead of me, so I pushed on. Phone tag followed and I found out he had been

stopped by a LEO and was behind me.

Little did both of us know, the overpass had collapsed over the Tamiami Trail and the road was shut down for miles. It had collapsed

around 2 pm and we arrived around 3:30 or so. It was a complete chaotic mess. Rush hour in Miami, detours hadn't been established,

and onlookers lined the area along with hundreds of emergency vehicles. I eventually found my way around the area and broke free of

the mess on the Tamiami Trail alone. I found a Jet boat area parking lot and called my son and waited for him there. He pulled up and we exchanged stories and were on our way to Naples. I

Miami FIU pedestrian bridge collapses, people trapped beneath | Miami Herald

Once we got our fuel on the "Corner" we headed north on I-75 where we encountered delays repeatedly. We refueled near Wesley Chapel

and he said he wanted to eat at Waffle House. Here we were just over 300 miles into a 1050 mile ride and we had burned up 9 hours of time already. It was past 10 pm and getting cold. As we headed north to I-10 I thought that there was no way he was going to make this ride.

When we got gas on the "Corner" at the I-10/I-75 junction, I told him that we were less than half way and still had 550 miles to go (It was 1 am) I suggested we called the ride and check into a motel and proceed to Jacksonville the next day. He says "I feel great, we can do this"

I told him we would have to ride all night to pull this off and that we needed to hit the turn around at Defuniak Springs by 6 am. He then made

me proud… He rode like a veteran LD rider and we arrived at the turn around at 4:30 am with him leading most of the way. as a father I stayed behind and stressed over any sign of fatigue I could spot. I did not watch him refuel prior to taking off and I was at 25 miles into reserve, so I pulled onto the ramp prior to our stop and checked his gage. He was only 20 miles on reserve so we proceeded to our turn around further down the Highway. the ride back east was uneventful with the biggest struggle being the temperatures. He had my heated

vest with a lighter jacket. Temps ranged from 37 degrees to 45 degrees until the sun began to rise. He missed the 295 exit, but soon showed up at the station for the finish. We finished around 1100 am, not pretty but finished just the same.

SpotWalla.com - Trip Viewer

He had rode through the night perfectly calm knowing the ride would be a success. Guess I am just a wee bit proud !!!

… But now he is already talking about "The Next Ride" … What have I done?
fool.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Congrats to both of you Tony!

I don't think I would have been nearly as calm, cool and collected as you with the way the ride began.

--G

Great to see that you guys were able to "adapt and overcome". While I have nowhere near the miles and certs you've done I quickly learned that was an essential part of LD riding. Good job to both of you!

Congrats to both of you Tony!
I don't think I would have been nearly as calm, cool and collected as you with the way the ride began.

--G
I don't think I was very "Calm, cool and collected", I wish I would have been. I had a deep frustration and knew I had failed in planning. I thought

on this particular ride, that once you submit a route plan, you were forced to stick to it. I also learned my son does not like riding in heat and heavy

traffic. I calmed down on the way to Lake City and came to the conclusion that NO ride was worth injury or even death AND this was HIS ride and

he could call the next moves and I would leave the choices up to him. I think that is why I am so proud of him on this ride. It was his ride and he

made the choice to tough it out and ride through the night. I noticed once we were out of congestion, his riding became much better.

Congrats on your ride, what a "first" for your son. Does he think he could have made it on his 600? I mean from the ability to stay in the saddle that long!

Congrats on your ride, what a "first" for your son. Does he think he could have made it on his 600? I mean from the ability to stay in the saddle that long!
He was sitting on a RDL seat and afterward said he thought the stock would have been better.
no.gif

… So I think he has a "Few" misconceptions to say the least. I may let him choose the stock seat next time and stow away the RDL

for "Emergency Use" Yes he says he could have made the ride on his ZZR, but I also noticed he didn't seem to "Have trust" in his

bike's ability. Having said that: he is also interested in finding a used FJR. (Which I think says more about his real opinion of making

long distance rides on the ZZR). I think the Honda NT700 would be a good platform for him… or convert a sport bike into a happy "Dual

use bike"

Congrats to Son of Pathfinder for a well-executed SS1K! (You've done so many ... are you even turning in paperwork for yourself?)

I find it interesting and humbling that Tony places some or most of the root cause for the initial cluster squarely on himself. As a father of a 27 and 22 year old, any time they do or did something less than desirable, I always look at myself for failing to teach, failing to supervise, failing to _______..... just failing.

Nobody said being a parent was easy.

Regardless, you overcame and succeeded. And there will only ever be one "first". Come to think about it, that saying applies many ways in the father/children realm.

Well done, Tony. Very well done, indeed.

Congrats, Tony! I had no doubts that he would persevere...after all, he is his father's son!

I find it interesting and humbling that Tony places some or most of the root cause for the initial cluster squarely on himself. As a father of a 27 and 22 year old, any time they do or did something less than desirable, I always look at myself for failing to teach, failing to supervise, failing to _______..... just failing.
Nobody said being a parent was easy.

Regardless, you overcame and succeeded. And there will only ever be one "first". Come to think about it, that saying applies many ways in the father/children realm.

Well done, Tony. Very well done, indeed.
I think the one of the hardest parts of parenting is watching you children fail even when it's necessary to let them so they can grow from their mistakes. We never do really let go do we?

Good stuff Tony.

What an epic ride! If it had all gone 'according to plan' it would not be as near as memorable. For either of you. Congrats to your son, and well done.