Ohlins fork springs

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wookie

Reaction score
Hi, just changed my front fork springs on my gen1 with ohlins springs, after reassemble the springs sound like there scraping on the fork legs. The springs are the same length 261mm and seem to be the same diameter, all been put back together exactly as it was removed, any body got any ideas what might be wrong. Thanks

Yup. The stock springs were tapered at each end. Which keeps them centered inside of the inner fork tube. If you put springs in that dont have that taper you need to install something at each end to center the spring or the spring will drift sideways and rub inside. Different companies have different strategies on accomplishing that. Some give you a plastic or Delrin inner spacer. Some give you a bronze seat for the spring to center it. I dont know what Ohlins wants you to do, but you have to do something

Last edited by a moderator:
GP suspensions makes some really neat Delrin spacers for this purpose. They are basically a flange with the larger diameter being the spring seat and the smaller diameter going inside the spring to keep it centered on the damper rod. I bet they would be fairly easy to recreate on a lathe.

Here's a photo of those spacers:

100_4259.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Just about to get some spacers made up, but before I do does anybody have any idea of the diameter of the damper rod? Thanks

Thanks for that, will get spacers made up and let you know the outcome.thanks