Vacation solo trip

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Last week (3/26/18) I jumped on my recently acquired 2007 FJR1300AE and took off on a touring trip. I had just finished installing an Ohlins rear shock and changing all fluids as well as replacing the brake pads on the front. I rode from Easley, SC down to Columbia for a couple of days. Then I rode from Columbia, SC to Amelia Island, FL. After a couple of days in FL I rode to Savannah, GA for a couple of days, then back to Columbia and on home to Easley. It was a one week trip. I never once got tired or uncomfortable on the trip, even though I have the stock seat that everyone seems to think is so uncomfortable. Although I did stop and buy some padded bicycle shorts after the first day which made my prostate gland happy.

The Ohlins shock made a huge difference in how well the bike handled. I fell in love with Frank JR on the very first day. I loved every mile, even the 100 or so I spent in the rain. The semi auto clutch feature and the paddle shifter was great, especially in urban riding conditions. The bike just kept the big stupid smile on my face, particularly when passing cars 3 at a time on the long, straight roads near coastal Carolina!

I now have 3 bikes. I just bought a 2017 FZ 07 because I'm going through a midlife crisis that told me I needed another toy and this time make it light and agile. I love all 3 bikes but the last one I would ever let go of is Frank JR. He is a marvel of engineering that is as beautiful as he is versatile.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have an 07 AE since it was new wish the still sold the AE in the us but wanted the cruse control. 90000 miles and still runs great. Still have not been able to pick up my new AE due to shitty SD weather.

The perfect riding group is always the Gilligan Trio -- me, myself, and I. Every member added on any given ride will add complexity and issues -- and usually some indecision. Don't get me wrong, I like sharing my favorite roads with friends sometimes, but a few days alone in the helmet is very, very hard to beat. Congratulations on your adventure!

p.s.: When I bought my '12 new in '13 -- after a half dozen demo rides over the years at Daytona -- I made it less than an hour on the way home before worrying that I had made a terrible, terrible mistake, due entirely to the original seat.

"Frank JR". Ha! Took me a half moment to get it. Now I have a nice smartass reply for everyone who wants to know what FJR stands for. Big thanks! Glad also that you enjoy the bike so much. I think my 2010 is just about the best touring bike in the world. Solo is the way to go.

Thanks everybody. I look forward to lots more trips.

Oh yeah my fathers name was Frank Jr so that just made sense for the FJR.

Kind of funny. I, too, have a 2007 FJR (although with a proper manual transmission with clutch, sorry). And also just put an Ohlins shock on the rear. And used to live near Easley (Clemson), and then moved to Savannah after that. Now in Sacramento, and not missing the humidity.

Just wait till you put the proper cruise control on old Frank JR ... You wont be able to stay off of it .That is one Kick Ass farkle!!! You think you love JR now ,just wait till the day you can set Frank Jr at highway speeds ,Relax right hand and enjoy you mechanical marvel !!!

Latest posts