'17 ES install Stebel Nautilus

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RBEmerson

FJR Supporter
Reaction score
Just eyeballing under the tupperware, I found the horn on a bracket next to the radiator. I was told (by the dealer, among others, that there's no room for the Stebel. Sure looks like tons of room to me. I'll have to fabricate a new bracket with a bit of bending in it, plus some way to mount the needed relay.

Has anyone been there, done that?

It has been done but...

Make sure that there is STILL lots of room with the forks fully compressed as well as with the wheel turned to the stop in each direction.

Last edited by a moderator:
On my current FJR and my previous one, at another members suggestion, the Stebel Horn nicely fit under the seat. No need for brackets or modifications. Stebel includes wiring instructions with the unit.

Thanks for the suggestion!!

I've installed Stebel horns before. They work and the wiring isn't that hard to figure out. It's dragging wires around that's the pain in the neck. :)

Too many stories of air horn (including Stebels) malfunctions. Way easier to install a couple of PIAA electric horns. No need for wiring harness or relay upgrades. Pretty much plug and play and sounds like a Buick Roadmaster

Too many stories of air horn (including Stebels) malfunctions. Way easier to install a couple of PIAA electric horns. No need for wiring harness or relay upgrades. Pretty much plug and play and sounds like a Buick Roadmaster
Agreed! The Piaas certainly have sufficient volume although perhaps a couple decibels less than the Stebel. However, as Fred said, no relay needed, mounting spot already there, no auxiliary wiring (and no worry about bashing your front fender with full fork compression). Lots of reports on the Stebel giving up after a time - air compressor ingests water or road spooge and quits.

Note: To do two Piaa horns on the 2017, you will need to run an extra wire to the other side since (for some reason or other) Yamaha decided that one horn was sufficient for the latest iteration of the FJR. No problem on Gen II.

As far as I know, the circuit will still drive both horns without a relay on your '17??? (not 100% sure on that - sure someone will confirm)

Sorry but... I've seen/heard the PIAA's. They're better than a Roadrunner beep-beep, but, IMNSHO, that's it. The object of the exercise is to be effin' loud, not harmonious. Given most people are in rolling cocoons, acoustic violence is a must to get past the phone, radio, or earphones (not so much luck there) or all of the above at the same time.

None of the installations has given me a problem.

Here is an installation on an '03 from a different forumhttps://www.fjrowners.com/forums/10-fjr-farkling-ii/8842-stebel-nautilus-compact-airhorn-03-model.html

And another (Wolo is similar to Stebel)

https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php/topic/167266-aftermarket-horn-install/?hl=stebel&do=findComment&comment=1296912

You will get lots of hits if you search for Stebel on this forum.
The solution with the strap across the radiator looks like a winner. I'm not sure about blocked airflow, though. Hmmm...

@Fred W - why? 'cause you're a good guy. :)

And it also has a delay, so you still need electric horns for immediate activation. My PIAAs are pretty loud. If you're using/needing your horns more than very rarely, you're doing something wrong.

The Stebel is just louder Fred
Is louder necessarily better?

While it is a good idea to be able to announce your presence, too loud can startle a driver and cause an inappropriate or disproportionate reaction. Scare the crap out of a pedestrian as well. (Sometimes, the horn is used to "punish" a particularly bone-headed or rude driver but although it might make you feel good, it is rarely a good idea - very loud is best for this.)

There is no doubt that the stock horns are too weak but I don't think sounding like a diesel locomotive is an improvement and won't enhance your personal safety.

An "excessively" loud horn could also draw unwanted law enforcement attention - not unlike loud pipes. This is one jurisdiction's take on it (similar elsewhere):

Every motor vehicle when operated upon a highway shall be equipped with a horn in good working order and capable of emitting sound audible under normal conditions from a distance of not less than 200 feet, but no horn or other warning device shall emit an unreasonable loud or harsh sound or a whistle. The driver of a motor vehicle shall when reasonably necessary to insure safe operation give audible warning with his horn but shall not otherwise use such horn when upon a highway.

And it also has a delay, so you still need electric horns for immediate activation. My PIAAs are pretty loud. If you're using/needing your horns more than very rarely, you're doing something wrong.
Maybe a few milliseconds, but every time I've pushed the horn button, I've deafened children in the next county. Hyperbole aside, I have never experienced any noticeable delay. Call it an urban legend - claims of noticeable delay just ain't true. BTDT.

Barring some structural reason, my bike is going to have Stebel, My question was about how others have done it. Why re-invent the wheel?

Re: is louder necessarily better. See above re: cocoons. Add people shaving (seen it), doing make-up (seen it), doing hair (seen it), doped up on cold meds (seen it - had frank discussion with driver on the issue of driving stoned), plus the aforementioned distracted with conversation in person (hit from behind by same - back of rental car crushed - neck intact), or via phone (we all see it), or via loud radio (we all see and hear it), etc. Hell yeah I want to be loud as an eighteen-wheeler. I want drivers thinking they've tangled with an eighteen-wheeler. I don't want to wind up trashed or dead. End of story.

RBEmerson posted: The solution with the strap across the radiator looks like a winner. I'm not sure about blocked airflow, though. Hmmm...
@Fred W - why? 'cause you're a good guy.
smile.png
Got two PIAAs on my 2015, and have had them aboard for probably 50,000 miles. Easy-peasy install, no relays needed, and I wake up drivers in Atlanta traffic almost every month.

Do whatever makes you happy. I look carefully at benefit-to-cost ratios at work, so the PIAA benefit-to-(cost + effort) ratio was clearly my choice. Haven't regretted it for a second.

Dual PIAA horns for my 14. No issues except my ham-handed soldering work to join the additional wire for the second hooter. It aint pretty, but it is solidly attached. Second best safety mod Ive done. Best is the Givi LED auxiliary brake light in the top box.