Mirror Wideners by SW Motech

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FJR-RemingtonRider

Their Sunset / My Sunrise
Reaction score
https://file:///C:/Users/fibod/Desktop/SW-MOTECH%20Mirror%20Wideners%20Yamaha%20FJR1300%202006-2018%20-%20RevZilla.html

Has anyone tried these yet?

Do they work like as advertised.

My 18ES mirrors gives me a not so good view. Can't see what's directly behind me creating a very uncomfortable blind spot. My previous FJR, I installed the (R1)? mirrors and they were Fantastic. Currently I see lots of elbow; as I have a wide chest I suppose.

These SW-MOTECH MIrror Wideners offered by Revzilla, seem to attempt to do the same thing, in not such a eye pleasing way.

Any pictures of them on your bike?

I have a set of those - I removed them and put on a set of FZ1 mirrors. They are OK but the FZ1 mirrors are much better.

I installed a set of those for a guy that used to be on this Forum. They made the mirrors better, but were no comparison to the FZ1 mirrors. His was an '08 and mine is an '07. Still, if you don't like the look of the FZ1 mirrors on your '18, or you want to keep more of that OEM look, they're not a bad option. Either way, you'll be way better off than you currently are.

Try this link...

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/sw-motech-mirror-wideners-yamaha-fjr1300-2006-2016

swmotech_left_right_side_mirror_wideners_yamaha_fjr13000614_750x750.jpg

I don't like the look of the extenders but I like the look of the FZ1 mirrors even less. I would want to try them before buying - at least sit on someone's bike who had them.

Edit to add: I find that if you play around with the angle of the mirror glass, you can significantly reduce the amount of elbow showing without decreasing what you can see behind you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks RossKean for the working link...out of practice posting links I suppose.

Good feedback....Didn't think the FZ-1 (what I meant when I typed R1-lol) mirrors would work on the 14 and up models; I do prefer the stock look as well.

Will continue to play with the mirror angles.

I also have some blue tint blind spot stick on's from PepBoys, that I need to try as well.

If I see a Gen3 or 4 with the extenders I am definitely going to try them. That big block just doesn't look good; for not knowing the trade-off for a sight picture I would get.

I use them and like them. I actually mount my auxiliary lighting to them as well. For me, they did help to get some of my elbows out of the mirrors and give a better angle to what's behind me. And aesthetically, they work well.

I really do like the looks of the OEM mirrors but they just don't work. I had the wideners on my last bike so I know what you are thinking of doing. This is another vote for the FZ1 mirrors, unless you don't want to see everything behind you.

FWIW I've had the EU spec knuckle visors on my bike from new and somehow thought, given the truly ridiculous price Yamaha ask for them and their obviously fatter/wider profile, that they replaced the stock mirrors and addressed the widely discussed problem of rear visibility being crap. But they don't.

They are just bits of stick on plastic
rolleyes.gif

I have these on my 2014 FJR and they are good. Not perfect but better than just the stock mirrors. And I had FZ-1 mirrors on my 2004 FJr and they were just a bit better then the extenders IMHO.

The problem with any spacers is that, with the angle the mirrors mount, you are spacing them forward as much as you are spacing them outward. So a 1 inch spacer only moves the mirror 1/2 inch outwards and accomplishes little.

Personally, I hate the stock 2nd Gen and later mirror design. To me it has the crude look of a kids erector set. The mirror pivot hinges the wrong way (horizontally) and is essentially useless. Retrofitting the FZ1 mirrors is a far better option, both functionally an aesthetically, IMO. Yes, they do stick out a lot, some people say like a bugs antenna, but sticking out is the entire point of the exercise.

FZ1 mirrors FTW!

IMO the way that the FZ-1 mirrors fold upon impact may well save the fracture of the mirror attachment point ( 1MC-28356-01-00 ?) in addition to the improved viewing angle, made this change a no-brainier on my 2nd FJR.

I use these spacers and they work fine for me. To some degree, what one has done with the handlebars and various other farkles, as well as your personal ergonomics affects things, For me the biggest deal is probably the upward extension, which is something like 1-3/8 inches. This means the view clears my hands and, in particular, the barkbuster deflectors I have on in the winter.

The outward displacement is about 3/4 inch. My elbows are no factor, thought the outer portion of my hands and handgrips are visible in the lower portion of the mirrors, so an attacking alligator or something like that might go unnoticed. There is a slight intrusion of my top box on the inner edges of the mirrors. Between the two mirrors I can see both sides of a 2-foot wide object as little as 10 ft. behind. The mirror views overlap about 16 ft. behind the bike, and beyond that point I can see the entirety of the lane behind in one or both mirrors.

The forward displacement is about 3/8 inch. This may be a factor in the fact that my blind spot is very small, but also the best coverage of the mirrors to the rear is provided by having them angled outward as far as they'll go.

I can't speak to the relative improvement I might gain by replacing with the FZ-1 mirrors, but I will say that the one drop I had (roughly 3-1/2 years back), the stock (right-side) mirror folded back just fine, the damage limited to scratches on the plastic (and some other bits on the bike). I wear these scratches proudly to this day.

The best and worst design I've run into is the mirrors on Honda the ST 1100/1300. Worst because they're so low and built right into the fairing. Replacement would be very ugly to live with. Best because they are built to pop clean off the fairing in a typical drop (with a lanyard to contain their flight distance and protect the wiring ). And yes, this works great.

I dont understand how these are installed. Are the mirror studs long enough to go through the spacer and into the frame or do they mount to the spacer and then the spacer has its own studs?

* I found my answer *

Canadian FJR

I istalled these extenders few days ago, they solve all my rear visibility issues perfectly. I do like the looks of the oem mirrors.

as a newbie, what generation/years are the fz1 mirrors being offered as a solution?

is there a link to see the fz1 mirrors?

thumbs up.

rob